Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I didn't like how my lady shepard started getting saucy with Jacob the instant she had him on her ship. I had to choose her dialogue very carefully to get her out of it. My Isabel Shepard is an ice queen, deep in her heart she yearns for the erotic embrace of another woman, probably Dr Chakwas.

mtfbwya

U R A wierd0.

No weirder than me! I also found it strange that almost all of the humans spoke English and looked pretty much American. There should be a sidequest where you find an interpreter for the person who wants you to do a mission. :)

Here's a link to my ME2 fic...http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202649 :)

Hrmm...I guess I was thinking of Firefly. I haven't loaded ME1 up to check the codex, but here is what the wikia page says:

Within a year of the discovery, Earth's eighteen largest nations had drafted and ratified the Systems Alliance charter, establishing a representative political body to expand and defend human territory. Shortly thereafter, the various nations of Earth pooled their military resources to create the Systems Alliance Military.

and

Humans have expanded rapidly from Earth in a very short period of time, becoming swiftly integrated into Citadel society and the galactic economy (see below). They have become less ethnically diverse in the twenty-second century, due to a more multicultural society and greater unity between nations. [...] Most humans retain their native tongue, but learn alien languages or trade pidgin for the sake of convenience or as a gesture of unity.

I guess the "18 largest nations" would pretty much be the US, China, Russia and most of Europe.

I'd like to talk about the Reapers for a minute. (Please hide any spoilers, as I am just starting to play through the game for the very first time.) Thanks! :)

Sovereign tells Shepard that "We simply...are..." when Shepard asks where the Reapers come from. Sovereign is attempting to paint the Reapers as some kind of galactical First Cause of Everything, or at least part of it. The thing is, the Reapers are machines, albeit sentient. In the rest of the ME universe (and in real life), machines are things created by organics. Machines do not procreate or evolve from preexisting life in the same manner as humans and other organic life. Therefore, I don't "buy" Sovereign's assertion that the Reapers are "eternal". If the Reapers are not eternal, then someone or something must have created them. It just seems too much of a cop-out and requires too much of a suspension of disbelief to take Sovereign at its word. Also, if the Reapers ARE eternal, what's the use in fighting them? XD

Do we get any answers in ME2 as to what the Reapers are and where they came from? Most of all, WHY do they bother to harvest organic life every 50,000 years? What is their purpose in doing so, if they have no use for organics, as Tali Zorah nar'Rayya says? An inquiring mind wants to know! ;)

Do we get any answers in ME2 as to what the Reapers are and where they came from? Most of all, WHY do they bother to harvest organic life every 50,000 years? What is their purpose in doing so, if they have no use for organics, as Tali Zorah nar'Rayya says? An inquiring mind wants to know! ;)
For the first question, you don't really get a solid answer on that in ME2, as to why they bother harvesting organic life, you get more of an answer on that.

For the first question, you don't really get a solid answer on that in ME2, as to why they bother harvesting organic life, you get more of an answer on that.

Well...there IS this connection with the Protheans and all the other extinct races you found out about in ME 1. More 'zomg we acually know nothing' then hard solid answers though, Mav is right there.

It was always going to be the case that we'd have to wait until ME3 for any sort of answers. You don't want to give away the ending halfway through (although no doubt we can all guess the basic likely outcomes).

Based on some of what is revealed in ME2, perhaps you could speculate on their origins. My feeling would be that they

"evolved" from some early race that started tinkering with themselves, augmenting, and ultimately replacing, their squishy biological bits with cybernetic components. How they became giant tentacle monster spaceships is a whole other question.

Time will tell I guess, although I wouldn't hold my breath on too many answers being forthcoming in ME3. It will be the final showdown after all, so I'm not sure how much time there will be for backstory exposition.

Ugh, I just looked at my mass effect 1 save and it seems I forgot to do the Depot-Sigma 23 side quest (blow up the rachni infested space station, then find out cerberus is behind it). Can anyone tell me if this props up in ME2 at all? I want to have the best experience possible, but I don't really want to start over for one sidequest...

Ugh, I just looked at my mass effect 1 save and it seems I forgot to do the Depot-Sigma 23 side quest (blow up the rachni infested space station, then find out cerberus is behind it). Can anyone tell me if this props up in ME2 at all? I want to have the best experience possible, but I don't really want to start over for one sidequest...

Likely the most it has to do with anything is a mention in an email, or maybe a brief mention in conversation.

The only possible reference to that I can recall was a vague allusion to Cerberus attempting to create an army of monsters in one conversation (the line mentioned Thorian creepers as well). Possibly it cropped up during a discussion with Miranda early in the game, but I really can't remember. I don't think you'll miss much by not doing it. The Rachni queen decision gets a nod, but even that is fairly minor (although I suspect it could have much greater significance in ME3).

Hey,

I just finished my first play through last night, and wow....awesome game.

Result of my play though:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Got through the final mission with only losing 2 of my team (Doctor and Thane.

Keith David was under-utilized, which is a shame, because he's awesome.

I agree but i have a feeling he will play a bigger role in ME3.

What i believe we will see in the future DLC (Spoiler alert!!!):

Show spoiler
The way the game ended you were able to walk around the ship and finish up side quests which were still open leads me to believe they will do what they are doing with Dragon Age's Awakening. They will have a ME expansion pack that takes place between ME2 and ME3 which will give you chances to continue your leveling up since you can't level everything up like in Dragon Age. This might also give more hints and info on the lead up to events to ME3. You have a large team (depending on your choices) so you have room to lose members in combat or by choice plus maybe 2 more members that can join your cause. I feel this is the way they will go since ME2 does have a very open ended ending that pushes you to feel there is a final large battle to happen in ME3 and I'm looking forward to it =)

I have to say the game felt very personal and some of the choices were hard plus with the thought that choices i make here could end up biting me big time in ME3.

Logan

I think the main reason they did it was because it was one of the things people bitched about in ME1 - that there was talk of all this DLC coming but the game ended meaning you'd have to start a new game to play it or load an old save halfway through. Personally I have no problem with a discrete ending (in fact I prefer it), but the Elder Scrolls crowd are big on the whole open-ended thing. Seems they got their wish.

My impression of the game so far (just got the ship and my mission) is that the graphics are better, the music is better, everything is better except the health bar (I like the old 'bar graph' bar better) and the fact that I'm way too darn slow using a sniper rifle because my enemy moves before I can right-click-left-click-darn-I'm-shooting-at-a-blank-wall!)

I LOVE it, and Miranda and Jacob are just as interesting, if not more, than Ashley and Kaidan, IMHO. I'm glad that someone else is back, too...*HUGS* to him and his ballcap!

P.S. If you read ME2: Second Chance, I'll give you cameo appearance as a character!

I'm way too darn slow using a sniper rifle because my enemy moves before I can right-click-left-click-darn-I'm-shooting-at-a-blank-wall!)
You're playing a Soldier I take it? If your preference is sniping, you might want to consider an Infiltrator on your next playthrough. They get a "bullet-time" type slowdown effect when using a sniper scope which gives you an extra half a second or so to line up a shot. As your bonus talent (which you can choose right from the start on subsequent playthroughs, assuming you got the relevant squad member loyalty achievement beforehand) I'd probably take either Incendiary Ammo or Armour Piercing Ammo. In that configuration it arguably makes them the best class in the game.

Speaking of classes, I'll revise my earlier comments in relation to which is the gimp, at least in the case of the Insanity difficulty level. In that instance, it's definitely the Adept. Biotics are pretty much completely useless on Insanity (aside from Warp) seeing as everything either has shields or armour (quite often both) and biotics have virtually no effect on them. Again this is just on Insanity. Biotics become increasingly more powerful (and useful) as you reduce the difficulty level.

Just finished the game today. T'was a fun ride from start to finish.

I only lost Legion in the finale mission. I didn't do all of his conversations...

I stalled the mission where you recruit him. So there wasn't much to do and start the final mission. Oh, well... better luck next time.

I think the end boss looked stupid... visually.

Show spoiler
A freaking huge Terminator, lame.... >_<

Couldn't they go for more of a hybrid. Scrap that, it should have looked like a normal Reaper.

The story and side quests of your team mates where nice to do, most N7 planet missions where fun as well. So that's at least improved.

I've also been an idiot on the planet scanning. I didn't use the right joystick to rotate the planet and move my scanner... o_Q

So the whole scanning business was very tidious and slow. :lol:

Only gripe: they've shifted to much to the "shooter" side. I loved tweaking guns and armour for each of member on the team. ME 1 fault, certainly on the 360, was the GUI design for the inventory.

I don't understand why they kicked it all out...

Hopefully they'll find a better balance with Nr 3.

Finished last night. Epic Game.

Didn't lose anybody in the suicide mission thus granting No One Left Behind achievement. Gained everyones loyalty, finished all the N7 missions, and did almost everything. Made it to level 27 paragon.

Didn't have a relationship in ME2 though, stayed faithful to Ashley.(Have to change that in my insanity/renegade run)

Show spoiler
A freaking huge Terminator, lame.... >_<

Couldn't they go for more of a hybrid. Scrap that, it should have looked like a normal Reaper.

Show spoiler
since the Human-Reaper was made using organic metal made from the humans, the genetic code in the metals gave it the human shape. Which doesn't excuse a terrible idea. maybe a reaper body and a human head? :p

One of the things I love about this game is how genuinely funny it is! :) Have you seen:

1) The advertisement about the full-elcor cast of Hamlet video? My LOL Rating: 3 LOL's

2) The advertisement about Anatass Mortuary? My LOL Rating: 2 LOL's

3) Mordin Solus? My LOL Rating: 6 LOL's

4) Fornax Magazine, which you can actually buy? My LOL Rating: 10 LOL's

I hope there's more funny stuff ahead!!! :)

On Illium, listen out for the ad for the upcoming movie about Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre. Some of the other ads are a laugh as well. The conversations between store customers both there and on the Citadel have some gems, plus the convos in the club on Illium as well.

I'd forgotten about the Elcor Hamlet ad. That was great (and a nice touch, following on from the news report about it in ME1).

One of the things I love about this game is how genuinely funny it is! :) Have you seen:

1) The advertisement about the full-elcor cast of Hamlet video? My LOL Rating: 3 LOL's

2) The advertisement about Anatass Mortuary? My LOL Rating: 2 LOL's

3) Mordin Solus? My LOL Rating: 6 LOL's

4) Fornax Magazine, which you can actually buy? My LOL Rating: 10 LOL's

I hope there's more funny stuff ahead!!! :)

Let me see what I can remember

1) Legion does an amazing robot!

2) Bringing Garrus and Tali to the citadel, Garrus brings up the elevator conversations

3) Bringing Legion to the Flotilla to help Tali out

4) Talking to the C-Sec Customs Officer with Legion in your party

Archived