Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

Has anyone else tried using the ME2 SaveEditor to alter your party choices? Saw a vid or two on YT and tried it w/Tali and Legion on Omega on the recruit mission for Mordin. If you do it, though, you may want to edit out the party member when it comes time for their recruiting mission. Still, gives you a chance to sample "lost dlg".

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow long thread here on this forum.

Been playing ME2 for a good wee while now, done 2 Insanity runs, doing a Vanguard one just now, amazingly good fun!

Kasumi pwns all, especially on insanity, FlashBang and Shadow Strike are insanely overpowered AND useful on practically every mission and the only real trouble I get into now is with those damn heavy mechs every now and then...

This is my current build for Vanguard on Insanity:

Heavy Inferno Ammo

Squad Cryo Ammo

Passive Power maxed

Heavy Charge

Area Reave as bonus

pure pwnage!!!

So do you get more squad points on insanity? I can never seem to earn enough squad points to max out all my powers...

what is this? 'lost dialogue?'
Not so much "lost", just legacy interjections for party members like Legion and Tali in early parts of the game where you don't normally have them available. As stoffe said earlier, obviously at some point in development they planned to allow you to get all party members at the start.

So do you get more squad points on insanity? I can never seem to earn enough squad points to max out all my powers...
No. You are not supposed to be able to max out your abilities.

No. You are not supposed to be able to max out your abilities.

"supposed to" being the key word ;) If you are inclined.. there are tricks to get there for Xbox (and I'm pretty sure PC).

Can tell you one thing.. it won't make a difference on Insanity. Expect to die.. ALOT. I had to take a break on my Insanity run to reset my rage levels :xp: hehehe

I'm sure some of you have seen the trailer (probably a loooong time ago), but I still don't have the game yet, and this makes me want to just buy it right now...what an epic trailer for a video game...wow.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Originally Posted by Astrotoy7

what is this? 'lost dialogue?'

Not so much "lost", just legacy interjections for party members like Legion and Tali in early parts of the game where you don't normally have them available. As stoffe said earlier, obviously at some point in development they planned to allow you to get all party members at the start.

Exactly, and why I put lost in quotations. Kind of makes you wonder where they were going to go if they gave you everyone at the start, as a lot of the game is, as stoffe was saying, recruitment missions (thus why keeping them for ME3 made more sense to her---though, you'd probably have to recruit/get some new prople if you lost anyone during game).

"supposed to" being the key word If you are inclined.. there are tricks to get there for Xbox (and I'm pretty sure PC).]

Short of changing the config file to allow you to add points at will, not aware of any tricks for pc. Which ones do you refer to for XBox?

Short of changing the config file to allow you to add points at will, not aware of any tricks for pc. Which ones do you refer to for XBox?

Easier just to quote the cheat site's instructions. ie - I'm lazy :xp:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

1. Have at least four available skill points and a skill ready to be evolved to its fourth form.

2. While evolving a skill from level 3 to level 4 at the squad menu, press A + X to regain all spent squad points and keep the skill evolution.

This works best if you level a skill from 0 to 4 (10 points) at the same time. Repeat this process to fill every line of your and your crew's skill tree. -From: tigernipp

Pressing the A+X simultaneously can be tricky at first, but easy to get the hang of. If you goof, you can always cancel/back out of the upgrade and try again.

I've only used it on one playthrough (of my 7) to see if it works, and sure enough it does ;) Tried that playthorugh on Insanity and shortly went back to one of my legit characters. :raise:

Kinda defeats the purpose of the game's balance efforts, however the playthrough I did with the cheat didn't seem to be that much more effective than a normal run once you know what skills to advance that best fits your playing style.

If anything, it can help you relieve the "Min/Max" grief some people suffer from.. hehehe

May seem to be a powerful cheat, but not really. Really only helps during early stages of the game, and on Insanity, it won't matter anyways.. you'll still die... alot :lol:

Nope, you get 51 points all together through the whole game when u reach lvl 30, that lets u max out 5 branches of powers, which is what I posted ;-)

I'm on the 360 version btw but I would think it's the same on pc...

Chainz I'm doing my 3rd insanity run now as an adept and I've yet to die once, just need to keep at it ;-)

What class r u playing?

Chainz I'm doing my 3rd insanity run now as an adept and I've yet to die once, just need to keep at it ;-)

What class r u playing?

Lies! :lol:

Currently Infiltrator, but I'm thinking that was a mistake. I'll probably have to break out my death dealing Vanguard or Adept for this. Restarting though doesn't sound appealing.. hehe

Being my first Insanity run, I'm still getting used to the whole Barrier/Shields+Armor on every freaking thing in the game. It's not so bad until I hit the charging enemies.. then my strategy goes all to hell.. hehe

I've definitely cut down on the dying part, but I'm currently "stuck" at the abandoned collector ship, floating platform part. I can't take down the collectors fast enough so the general spawns (ugh).. and then he's just a creeping pile of slaughter once he shows up. I get SO close to completing it, but the 4th wave just kicks me hard in the jollies :headbump

Geth Prime, YMIR Techs & Krogan also suck, which makes Garrus' & Tali's mission(s) potty mouth worthy. Took me awhile to get past those missions :¬:

Switched over to FO3 for the moment to clear my head (playing my bad karma, total d-bag, run this time :xp: ), then I'll tackle it again.

Currently Infiltrator, but I'm thinking that was a mistake. I'll probably have to break out my death dealing Vanguard or Adept for this.

I've actually found Infiltrator to be a lot easier than the other professions I've tried so far (Vanguard, Adept) when played as a specialized sniper. Sniper rifles pack a serious punch if you get the upgrades and only go for headshots, and the slowdown you get for a few seconds whenever activating the scope as an Infiltrator makes headshots fairly easy to line up. Just stay in cover all the time, only popping up for a second to shoot an enemy in the head before returning to cover, repeat until they all die. If you use the disruptor ammo their shields go down in no time and you can take down pretty much any enemy except YMIR Mechs, Gunships, Praetorians and Scions in 1-2 headshots.

And if someone manages to get close enough to flank you or flush you out of cover, just cloak and sprint away to find a new cover safely. :)

I picked Dominate for my bonus power on the Infiltrator. Along with AI hacking it provides you the ability provoke in-fighting in pretty much all types of enemy groups, which not only takes heat off you but generally cause them to abandon their cover to deal with their former ally shooting them in the back. :)

Won't win any speed-running contests with that playing style but it's pretty safe. Haven't died a single time, and only lost my shields and taken health damage twice so far (Insanity diff).

Exactly, and why I put lost in quotations. Kind of makes you wonder where they were going to go if they gave you everyone at the start, as a lot of the game is

Maybe at one point they gave you all dossiers right away allowing you to pick freely in what order you wanted to recruit anyone. Just speculation... but everyone does seem to have dialog interjection for all parts of the game. :)

Maybe at one point they gave you all dossiers right away allowing you to pick freely in what order you wanted to recruit anyone. Just speculation... but everyone does seem to have dialog interjection for all parts of the game. :)

Guess I took you too literally (as in they "give you" Jacob and Miranda at the beginning). One of the things I noticed in inserting Tali and Legion pre-Omega is that the game then assumed you'd been to Horizon and you could now go to both Illium and to the IFF site. Seems to me they could have done as you said w/the dossiers and then gone for Horizon (in case you decided to get Mordin last) and then the derelict. Though those might have seemed "on top" of one another at that point. So, while it might be interesting to alter saved files for a mix-n-match on recruitment missions, it'll probably mess up your game otherwise.

Probably best not to bring them on their own recruitment missions though, might be weird.

Might be the way I checked off some of the boxes w/the SE, but I noticed that in putting Zaeed in the party, he didn't show up for the recruitment mission on Omega. Perhaps that won't be a problem (or maybe I just need to uncheck a box or two otherwise)?

• 2 weeks later...
and I just encountered Kaidan on Horizon, anyways, is it just

lolz.. I just did a double take there, thinking I'd missed something in the game :p

Then I remember, I ordered him to die in ME1 so no Kaidan for me. I can't say it was a difficult decision... I wasn't getting anything from him or Wrex as characters in the story.

A relevant image search will get you this, which makes me feel I wasn't the only one that found him forgettable/expendable in ME1.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Kaidan_Alenko.jpg

ah well, I'm sure there a few Kaidan fans out there that would have been excited to see him in ME2??

mtfbwya

Kaidan is possibly the most reviled character in game history.

lolz.. I disliked Jacob more than Kaidan. Basically anyone that whinges about their dad is out the airlock... its the freakin' Normandy, not Degrassi Junior High.

*makes plans to re-do suicide mission and get Jacob killed off* :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

I dunno, I thought Jacob was OK as a character and don't really get all the hate towards the guy. He actually seemed more lively than Kaidan, who I also have nothing against. If it's about dad issues, hell, I'd sooner hate Miranda, despite her ample... assets. :naughty:

Jacob was kind of wooden, or at least more closed off than some of the other crew. Still, he wasn't particularly annoying. Outside of Udina, didn't particularly "hate" any of the major players.

@Astro--did manage to lose Jacob (despite his being loyal) on the "long walk" by having Thane as the biotic umbrella. Also, lost Jack the same way when I skipped Samara's and Jack's loyalty missions.

I dunno, I thought Jacob was OK as a character and don't really get all the hate towards the guy. He actually seemed more lively than Kaidan, who I also have nothing against. If it's about dad issues, hell, I'd sooner hate Miranda, despite her ample... assets. :naughty:

If you play as a female Shepard who isn't interested in romance Jacob becomes pretty much impossible to talk to on the Normandy.

And unlike the other characters who might be a bit clammed up first but then open up more as the game progresses Jacob seems to be the other way around. When you first meet him on the Lazarus station he seems like a likable enough fellow, but then becomes increasingly less sociable and talkative the further along you get. And he's the "normal" soldier guy in a crew otherwise full of eccentric weirdos. :)

Also he seems to be consistently giving you very poor advice. :p

Archived