Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

Fighting fire with fire only adds to the flames.

it's true though. I love Mass Effect and I'm a 360 guy. I would like to play Resistance but I can't because i dont have the right platform. I am however a little jealous that the PS3 version will include "hours of bonus content" that is as near as I can tell not coming to the 360 version even through DLC. Now the originally 360 exclusive title is going to the PS3 and the PS3 version is getting MORE content??

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EA Bought Bioware when Dragon Age Origins was done, and when Mass Effect 2 was nearing completion. Then we get news of Dragon Age 2 being a fantasy Mass Effect.
What's your point exactly? That has nothing to do with the topic being discussed, re: EA porting ME2 to PS3 giving others the opportunity to play and enjoy it.

hahaha no all I was trying to say was Mass Effect was one of the games that drew people to the 360. I mean if Resistance: Fall of Man was released on 360, the PS3 fan boys would be up in arms. same with Gears of War if it went to PS3. the 360 fan boys would be livid. so, in that vein, Mass Effect 2 going to the PS3 and losing the "360 exclusive" kind of detracts from it

don't get me wrong I am still going to pre-order Mass Effect 3...but ME 1 was exclusive to 360/PC and now with ME2 having the EA branding on it and coming to PS3 it is another example of big companies ruining stuff. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the ME games but at the same time i liked having a great game that PS3ers didnt. they have that with Resistance: Fall of Man. I'd love to play it, but I don't have a PS3, so I can't.

You still make no sense, what exactly about ME2 is being ruined by it being ported to a different system? You're being hypocritical too, you say you want everyone to be able to enjoy the ME games, but you want it to stay 360/PC exclusive. As far as "fan boys" getting pissy, there is a reason that "fan boy" is a fairly derogatory name.

If you want to blame someone/some entity for a perceived lack of quality exclusive titles for the 360 (which many others would disagree with you on), blame Microsoft. The reason the PS3 has exclusive titles like, Resistance, Uncharted, God of War, inFamous, Gran Turismo and more is because Sony has done the work to develop both their own first party studios and foster strong relationships with their "second party" studios such as Naughty Dog and formerly Insomniac.

Microsoft on the other hand as far as I'm aware, has not shown the initiative to actually create a first party game development core to support their system. Even their big name titles like Halo and Gears of War are developed by other studios and Microsoft essentially buys the publishing rights to the IP (Halo is probably not the best example, because throughout the Halo series Bungie has acted more as a 2nd-party dev than an independent).

it's true though. I love Mass Effect and I'm a 360 guy. I would like to play Resistance but I can't because i dont have the right platform. I am however a little jealous that the PS3 version will include "hours of bonus content" that is as near as I can tell not coming to the 360 version even through DLC. Now the originally 360 exclusive title is going to the PS3 and the PS3 version is getting MORE content??
We don't know what any of this bonus content is, so you're jumping to conclusions. If I were to guess though, I'd say that it'd just be packaged in DLC that's already been released as such is the case with "Game of the Year" editions of popular games.

maybe I wasn't being clear. I had a choice between 360 and PS3 and I went with 360 because I wanted to play Mass Effect. I personally dislike Microsoft and their entire business model. but I wanted to play Mass Effect so I got the 360 rather than the PS3. In the back of my mind I was always a bit happy that the 360 had a game as epic as Mass Effect that only 360ers and PC gamers could enjoy. Bioware didn't dissapoint. I love KotOR and ME being a psuedo mix between KotOR and Halo (to an extent) made it even better. PS3 guys have resistance, god of war, Ratchet & Clank, etc. 360 people have bioshock, Halo, Forza Motosport, etc. and formerly, they had the Mass Effect series. am I being hypocritical? yes! fine! I'm not perfect! but knowing if I had the PS3 I could have eventually just got Mass Effect 2...kinda irritates me.

As far as the bonus content, as it says "hours of extra bonus content" yes I agree there's better than a 50% chance the core ME2 PS3 experience will probably include the various download 'packs' (firepower, overlord, etc), and that will account for the 'hours of bonus content' but in the past games that started on one platform and got ported to a different one gained content not available on the original platform. prime example: Mass Effect. the PC version includes a new manufacturer that isnt present in the 360 version (Batarian State Arms, I believe. I'd have to check with my friend who plays the PC version) as well as a new armor type. If this happens with the PS3 version, and they get new content that never makes it to the 360, I will be someone dissapointed.

ah well, at least PC & 360 players of ME2 still have one thing the PS3 players won't: the ability to import their shepard to ME2.

this whole debate is neither her nor there IMHO.

My favorite line from ME2 is:

"the collectors killed you once and all it did was piss you off..." - Garrus

Are we really going to have a PS3 vs. 360 war in the Mass Effect thread? Seriously? Give me a break. So ME2 is going to PS3 who cares...

Precisely!!!

We have ventured down this road far enough, back to topic please. Which is ME2 and not PS3 v. 360. Talk about ME2, talk about the content of ME2 for whatever format, but please stop the 360 v. PS3 talk. Please!

I keep losing Mordin despite him being loyal...though I've heard the best way to save him is send him back to the ship with the other survivors.

He always survives if you take him with you to the boss battle. At least, that method of protecting him has never failed for me.

I try to get Jack killed. Some found her character interesting, I found it obnoxious.

My first ending was so depressing.. first run, I always try to rush through the story a bit, and use the second time to coast slowly and take everything in. So I skipped some of those loyalty quests.

Everyone, aside from Garrus and Miranda, died.

My next time was much better; only Zaeed died. After that, it has been much easier keeping everyone alive and well. (Though it was a horrible pain trying to stop the argument between Jack and Miranda; I gave up. The next run I got the paragon option right off the bat and I had less of a paragon score.) Speaking of additional characters, is Kasumi worth the money?

since this thread seems to be spoiler-ific now, i thought i'd ask for help.

Everyone survived my last playthrough up until the part where you have your group and the rest take the crew back..i took thane and grunt with me and for some reason Mordin died. anyway to resolve? don't really wanna waste my time going through it all again just so i can add Mordin to my party and leave thane, which again, might not even work..

EDIT: Completed all loyalty missions

EDIT2: Meowster I have never bought Kasumi so I wouldn't know, not that i have to worry if PS3 get the DLC :D

for some reason Mordin died. anyway to resolve?
Mordin is quite buggy apparently, although I've never experienced any problem with him. As has been posted in this thread a number of times, either take him with you on the final mission or send him back to the ship with the abduction survivors.

I have never bought Kasumi so I wouldn't know, not that i have to worry if PS3 get the DLC :D
You'd pay US$60 for the PS3 version when you could just pay US$7 each for Kasumi and Overlord DLCs (the rest being free or not worth money) for the PC or 360 version you presumably already have?

When playing ME2, what team members do people here purposely try to kill by game's end?

I don't kill off any purposely, I just leave room for casualties on a fairly random basis, just to keep it real - it's a suicide mission dammit. There are obvious exclusions though - Tali i would never kill off (even though she died in my first playthrough :(((( the vent expert always dies for me...) and others i like include Zaeed (who also died, this time in my most recent playthrough) and Garrus.

my mortalities in full:

Paragon Femshep: Tali, Miranda, half the crew of the Normandy.

Renegade manshep: Legion, Zaeed, Mordin, Samara.

manshep has the better record due to recklessly charging through the relay, being unable to take the thought of losing Ms Chambers :D

Like Meowster, I rushed through the first playthrough (Vanguard manly shepard), and I lost a lot of people. I completely forgot I had Legion until you went through the ship as a certain crewmember to save the ship, and since if I waited, I'd slowly lose my crew members (and I was in a romantic relationship with Kelly, where I give her the good stuff and she feeds my fish.). So I just ignored his mission. And I didn't have enough P or R points in order to keep loyalties with both Miranda and Jack, so I lost her too. And for some reason, I lost Thane (possibly due to me picking Morinth for the biotic part, and having not done her mission properly). So my casualties first time around: Jack, Thane, Legion.

After that, I made sure to pick the best team members, and I'd never lose another again.

And on an unrelated note, Lair of the Shadow Broker (new DLC) is being released the seventh of September, for 800 MS/Bioware points (10 dollars), and, to both the joy and dismay of many gamers who decided to tap Miranda/Tali/Kelly/Thane, you'll have some competition, as;

Along with new achievements the content promises players will have the opportunity to "continue a relationship with Liara." That's going to be an awkward conversation when she finds out we totally hooked up with another alien... or that lady from Chuck.

to both the joy and dismay of many gamers who decided to tap Miranda/Tali/Kelly/Thane, you'll have some competition, as;

Not really sure Kelly would count, all she did was feed the fish and dance around a little.

Rooting to finally see Tali's face during the catfight. :dev14:

the vent expert always dies for me...)

It's the only death on the mission I keep having. Now I've looked up some walkthroughs and most say, this happens because you need to take a good fire squad leader.

It seems only Garrus, Jacob and Miranda are good for this, not 100% on Miranda bit. But if you pick other team members to lead; the chance for a dead techy increases.

Mordin can die, in the last bit, in holding of the Collectors, something to do with each team members defence value. Mordin and Tali being lowest and first to go RIP. But putting heavy dudes like Grunt and Zaeed pumps up the defence score of the team. Giving them a bigger chance to survive.

Ofcourse the loyalty mission improves the whole survivale thing for each member.

Anyway, going in for a third playthrough, wasted money on some extra DLCs, even those idiotic extra sun glasses look for Thane: his seriously pimped now :lol:

ew, who would want to stay with Liara, honestly

I did in one of my playthroughs with a female Shepard.

Is there really an alternative for a female Shepard? Thane - too depressing, Jacob - too boring and Garrus is someone to drink a beer with, not share a bed. There is always Kelly - but she is only good for feeding the fish.

All my male Shepards cheated. At least BioWare gave male Shepards some decent choices.

ew, who would want to stay with Liara, honestly

Agreed. My ME1 malesheps never end up with Liara or Ashley. A space hero's gotta have standards (not only looks. In fact, the personalities are what put me off the most).

What I want for ME3 are some good bromance options (Not the same as male-male homosexual relationships, though I don't care one way or another if Bioware puts those in too, I just wouldn't use them.). Seriously, good Shep-Garrus bromance dialogue would make my day. Bioware would be an innovator in video game bromances, since I can't think of a single RPG that has them. The word "bro" itself could be left out of actual dialogue though, since although it might appeal to a certain part of the gaming demographic, it wouldn't really fit the setting.

Noone can complain of ANYTHING we PS3 users get as a bonus. At the end of the day, we're missing out of a third of the trilogy, an entire game! and it's argueably more vital to the trilogy than ME2 for introduction and such!

yeah you're right I'm just saying I want all the available content.

Are we really going to have a PS3 vs. 360 war in the Mass Effect thread? Seriously? Give me a break. So ME2 is going to PS3 who cares...

Yeah again I'm sorry.

Precisely!!!

We have ventured down this road far enough, back to topic please. Which is ME2 and not PS3 v. 360. Talk about ME2, talk about the content of ME2 for whatever format, but please stop the 360 v. PS3 talk. Please!

Again, sorry.

When playing ME2, what team members do people here purposely try to kill by game's end?

Zaeed. Although I heard that if

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
you do Zaeed's loyalty mission after the suicide mission (no clue if you have to wait for recruitment until then...I'm doing that in my current Vanguard run...) then you can leave Zaeed to die if you take the Paragon route and save the refinery workers.

additionally, I must disagree about some of the other DLCs "not being worth it." I personally have each of them, and only 160MS points or so for three new weapons is a great deal. same with 160MS points for the Kestrel armour and another new weapon

Not really sure Kelly would count, all she did was feed the fish and dance around a little.

Rooting to finally see Tali's face during the catfight. :dev14:

I was actually scientifically curious to see Tali's face. then i didn't, and I was sad, so I got her killed in the suicide mission.

oops.

just heard this quote. officially my favorite from Mass Effect 2:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Shepard: I guess if we're going to be stuck here, we can let them pamper us

Joker: Can I get that on a t-shirt? this is my favorite 'you have no choice' choice ever

Shepard: Technically, this is a civilian vessel. I guess I should be grateful you're wearing pants

Joker: yeah, I'll save that for the off-hours cameras.

I quite liked the thane romance for my femshep, but the less said about Jacob's the better... (the priiiize). and garrus is hilariously awkward.

manshep's are dodgy as well though. Tali is sooo cute, but Miranda's just a whiny narcissist with huge... tracts of land and jack is just too much hard work.

Is there really an alternative for a female Shepard? Thane - too depressing, Jacob - too boring and Garrus is someone to drink a beer with, not share a bed. There is always Kelly - but she is only good for feeding the fish.

All my male Shepards cheated. At least BioWare gave male Shepards some decent choices.

Yeah, definitely. I about fell over myself when I saw that male Shepards could romance Tali. All the poor femSheps are stuck with someone boring, someone dying and someone who would probably give her a tetanus infection.

Archived