Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ It gets me wondering how they plan on doing this if the player has no ME1 save files. Will this be solved via a conversation, K2-esque? Or maybe a menu where you straightly determine those variables?

I'd guess they'd just use a default scenario in that case since it would likely be people who haven't played the first game (yet). Might be a bit hard to let the player in some intuitive way specify the outcome of any quest or decision that had any greater impact on the gameworld, Shepard's gender, appearance, equipment etc. :)

I'd guess they'd just use a default scenario in that case since it would likely be people who haven't played the first game (yet). Might be a bit hard to let the player in some intuitive way specify the outcome of any quest or decision that had any greater impact on the gameworld, Shepard's gender, appearance, equipment etc. :)
That's a possibility, I guess. :)

But that would restrict the gaming experience of gamers who haven't played the first one or bought the game for another plataform (i.e. I have ME1 for the 360, what if I intend to get M2 for PC). They could ask straight questions before teh game starts like MGS3 did, like "Have you played MGS2(changing it to ME1)?"

Still, looks like an artificial sollution. Perhaps a convo would look better.

Just found this, in development gameplay footage for ME2, looks pretty much the same as the first one, maybe they'll work on the terribad cover system.
Yep, posted that on the previous page. ;) Not sure if we'll get any real video soon as the game seems to be in a very early stage.

Yep, posted that on the previous page. ;) Not sure if we'll get any real video soon as the game seems to be in a very early stage.

True. There's still some info you can draw from this footage though.

The character looks unlike anything I have seen before (which could point to better customise system e.a. not playing Shepard). And the cutscene with the speeder. Apparently there's another cityplanet/station like the Citadel (or it IS the Citadel ans we see a new layer).

• 4 weeks later...

BioWare Executive Producer Casey Hudson has started a new blog on IGN for Mass Effect 2. After recounting how BioWare reviewed all the player feedback they could from the first game and used that to adjust the design of ME2, Mr. Hudson also reveals that BioWare will be showing ME2 at this year's E3 convention.

Source: Mass Effect 2 blog at IGN

Mass Effect: Jacob's Story for iPhone

massefecotaph5.jpg

The mobile game will feature top-down shooter combat and a stylized, cartoonish look. The survey notes that Jacob's Story will function as a predecessor to the upcoming Mass Effect 2, revealing some of the backstory of characters featured in the console game. The handheld adventure would be about two hours long and cost $2.99.

I'm so happy about this, I could cry.

I’ve dropped my phone twice in the last few days; I guess my subconscious knew this was coming. Guess my new phone will be an iPhone.:xp:

I have a feeling you won't be the only Mass Effect fan buying an iPhone very soon. ;)

BioWare Reveals More Mass Effect iPhone Details. Hot off the press.

It's not a prequel but a side story, and is not required reading. Bioware is saying it's a "fun" optional extra game. :)

You can consider the iPod Touch a handheld gaming console aswell as a music player, and the applications available for the iPhone work on it the same way, except for the ones requiring a phone obviously. iPhone/Touch gaming is becoming much more prominent now, with a lot of gaming review sites, podcasts etc starting to cover the games and rate them.

Well, I guess it's easy to insult it when you don't actually own one, and have a very limited experience of the games on it. I own a PSP and DS/DSi, and I play the games on my iPhone virtually every day, compared to never on the PSP, and once in a blue moon on the DS (although my kids play it all the time). And you have to remember, the PSP and DS are gaming consoles only, whereas the iPhone does a number of things, so of course it's not going to be as powerful. But it's accelerometer technology has allowed game developers to be very inventive, and provides a unique platform to work with.

MGS Touch and Icube or something. Not to mention some free, but understandably bad ones. Wasn't expecting much from the latter, but I should have done the same about the first.

The Iphone can get graphics higher than the DS, Assassins Creed game for the iphone proved that.(it was around DS graphics) I wonder who is developing the game, Gameloft is certainly one of the best for the iphone.

EDIT: Sims 3 has some great graphics on the iphone as well.(not out yet)

And you have to remember, the PSP and DS are gaming consoles only, whereas the iPhone does a number of things, so of course it's not going to be as powerful. But it's accelerometer technology has allowed game developers to be very inventive, and provides a unique platform to work with.
Yes, which makes me wonder why not go for dedicated platforms such as the PSP/DS. Of course, I have a little experience with it's games, but I'm yet to be impressed with anything I've seen for it.

And, regarding the interface, I'd say the DS allows devs to be even more inventive.

Yes, which makes me wonder why not go for dedicated platforms such as the PSP/DS.

Talk to Bioware. Whichever platform they decided to do this game on, anyone not owning it, whether it be PSP, DS or iPhone will complain.

Of course, I have a little experience with it's games, but I'm yet to be impressed with anything I've seen for it.

I'm not impressed with many a game I've seen. Of course, it doesn't quite compare to actually playing them now does it?

And, regarding the interface, I'd say the DS allows devs to be even more inventive.

*sigh*

Talk to Bioware. Whichever platform they decided to do this game on, anyone not owning it, whether it be PSP, DS or iPhone will complain.
True.

I'm not impressed with many a game I've seen. Of course, it doesn't quite compare to actually playing them now does it?
Yes, just as much saying you dislike being shot without ever being shot differs from having a cartridge unloaded on your chest and only then voicing your opinion.

I'm not condemning the game in anticipation, just certainly not getting my hopes up.

*sigh*

As you said, the Iphone is not a gaming platform primarily. Being it the side-function it is, perhaps you can tell me how exactly it let's the devs be more inventive.

Yes, just as much saying you dislike being shot without ever being shot differs from having a cartridge unloaded on your chest and only then voicing your opinion.

Not the best analogy. Gaming hardly compares to being shot. My point was, don't judge a book by it's cover.

As you said, the Iphone is not a gaming platform primarily. Being it the side-function it is, perhaps you can tell me how exactly it let's the devs be more inventive.

I said very inventive, not more inventive.

Like I said, the accelerometer technology allows you to do things with the iPhone that you can't do on other handheld platforms. You can control a game using only your movements. A very simple example is a labyrinth style game that you can just roll a metal ball around a maze, and the physics are extremely realistic, or a driving game where you just move the phone itself to steer and drive. Add to that the touch screen elements, and both can be combined to make uniquely controlled games.

And I'd like to add that the graphics on many games more than compare to the DS and PSP. Also, 80% of the games I have on my phone are free, and are of very good quality. Can hardly complain about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Source

BioWare have released a new trailer for Mass Effect 2 in the run-up to E3. The video, just under three minutes in length, features short snippets of gameplay, cutscenes, interviews with the development team, and dramatic lighting which has the unfortunate effect of highlighting the extent to which Casey Hudson looks like Sylar.

I suppose the robot dragging itself along the floor with its arms around the middle of the video is supposed to demonstrate the new combat features of the game (I for one certainly won't be bothered by barren, featureless planets now that I can blow bits of my enemies' bodies off) but all it makes me think of is the dire state of an awful lot of modern science fiction, a genre which is intent on dealing with the social issues of thirty years ago.

Archived