Home

Baseball 2009!

Jae Onasi

I have horrendous cabin fever after some 70 inches of snow this year and too many below-freezing days. With the awful winter we've had this year, I'm especially looking forward to the start of the spring training because it heralds, well, spring. And the Cubs playing in sunny Mesa before coming back to Chicago, bringing some warmer weather with them (in general, sometimes they have snow on opening day). So, who's your favorite team, player, etc. for this year? For Cygnus, who shall win the sausage race the most often? :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Braves fan, not sure what to make of the coming season, what with such an up and down off-season, we still have holes everywhere. Also, I'm still bitter about Wren not being able to work a deal to keep Smoltzie in Atlanta.

Living in Seattle my favorite team is the Mariners... sadly. This year Griffey is coming back so I'll be going to plenty of games.

Yes, Griffey is going to come back to the Mariners. The thing with Seattle is that they start out, normally, pretty strong, but then start to really suck. That is when my favorite team, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, go on a rampage. :shades2:

I'd love to say I happily cheer for the Jays, but when you lose one of your top two pitchers to a team such as the Yankees, who now have Sabithia. It's really, really hard. Also the fact that you can finish 10 games above .500 and still finish fourth doesn't really help either.

**** the Yankees. **** the Red Sox. **** the Rays. **** the Yankees.

I have to say I'm having trouble getting up for baseball season this year...especially when my team(the Indians) continues to let good players just walk away because they don't want to spend the money to keep them. (Sabathia, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez...*sigh*)

I suppose I can still offer a half hearted Go Tribe!

I'd love to say I happily cheer for the Jays, but when you lose one of your top two pitchers to a team such as the Yankees, who now have Sabithia. It's really, really hard. Also the fact that you can finish 10 games above .500 and still finish fourth doesn't really help either.

**** the Yankees. **** the Red Sox. **** the Rays. **** the Yankees.

AJ Burnett never won more than 12 games in a season. You guy didn't lose that much. You still have Roy Halladay.

Besides even with the "big" acquisitions, the Yankees are still a third place team.

Sabathia was a bit of a prima donna for the Brewers, so I'm not sure the tribe is missing much, JediAthos.

Woot! Cubs start spring training games on Wed! Jeff Samardzija (I'll have to get used to spelling that one) will be pitching for the opening game. Zambrano and Dempster aren't in the initial rotation which concerns me just a bit, but Zambrano needs time to warm up every spring, too.

I'm actually in to soccer more then Baseball itself but when I do watch Baseball its usually Little League,like the Adams Police (Its the name of the team because the Adams Police is the Coaches and Financial backers) they seem to enjoy it a whole lot more, and are basically just playing for fun.

But if it HAS to be an MLB team I'd say Boston Red Sox

No Favorite player.

AJ Burnett never won more than 12 games in a season. You guy didn't lose that much. You still have Roy Halladay.

Nonetheless, if he stays healthy, he's still a legit starter. Yeah, we have Doc, but when he's your only solid and relatively consistent pitcher, it doesn't help. And it doesn't help when you have a solid pitcher that gets injured and is out for a year. Such as Marcum and McGowan. Yes, we do still have Litsch whose starting to develop fairly well, but he's now our number 2.

Still, the fact that the Yankees buy their teams still pisses me off.

As a Yankees fan, I can understand some of the hate being directed towards them, especially since they do basically buy their team. But I became a fan in the 90's, when the Yankees won on clutch pitching, grit and hustle, not expensive free agents. Players like Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez and Scott Brosius will always be considered (at least by me) true Yankees, more so than Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi or A-Rod. I fell in love with the competitive, scrappy team of the 90's, not the high-priced conglomeration of today. Still, I can't really root against them, but I thought I should explain my position as a fan before I get crucified. :xp:

All that said, Red Sox fans can go choke on some clam chowdah.

Concurred, they've had their moment in the spotlight, what with the recent successes of the Red Sox and the Patriots, hell even the Celtics managed to win. Boston, share.

As a Yankees fan, I can understand some of the hate being directed towards them, especially since they do basically buy their team. But I became a fan in the 90's, when the Yankees won on clutch pitching, grit and hustle, not expensive free agents. Players like Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez and Scott Brosius will always be considered (at least by me) true Yankees, more so than Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi or A-Rod. I fell in love with the competitive, scrappy team of the 90's, not the high-priced conglomeration of today. Still, I can't really root against them, but I thought I should explain my position as a fan before I get crucified. :xp:

George and Hank Steinbrenner have always bought their teams. Ever since George bought the franchise. You're just mad that, even with the all the spending, the Frauds are only the third in the AL East.

Concurred, they've had their moment in the spotlight, what with the recent successes of the Red Sox and the Patriots, hell even the Celtics managed to win. Boston, share.

Then I suggest your team(s) do what the Celtics did last year. Trade, sign free agents and draft to improve your team. Or what the Bruins are doing this year. Going from a team that barely makes the playoffs and yet takes the Habs to 7 games. To a team that is one of the best in the NHL this year.

Sabathia was a bit of a prima donna for the Brewers, so I'm not sure the tribe is missing much, JediAthos.

Woot! Cubs start spring training games on Wed! Jeff Samardzija (I'll have to get used to spelling that one) will be pitching for the opening game. Zambrano and Dempster aren't in the initial rotation which concerns me just a bit, but Zambrano needs time to warm up every spring, too.

A prima donna Sabathia may be Jae, but he's also a Cy Young award winner and good for 15-20 wins a year as long as he's healthy. Granted the Indians pitching is still solid with Carmona, Westbrook, and Cliff Lee but it just irritates me that the Indians ownership continues to let these good players get away.

George and Hank Steinbrenner have always bought their teams. Ever since George bought the franchise.

I disagree.

Don Mattingly - Drafted 1979, developed through the farm system
Derek Jeter - Drafted 1992, developed through the farm system
Jorge Posada - Drafted 1990, developed through the farm system
Andy Pettitte - Drafted 1990, signed 1991, developed through the farm system
Mariano Rivera - Signed 1990, developed through the farm system
Bernie Williams - Signed 1985, developed through the farm system
Tino Martinez - Traded to NYY from SEA in 1997, made 2.3m in 1998
Scott Brosius - Traded to NYY from OAK in 1997, made 2.65m in 1998
Paul O'Neill - Traded to NYY from CIN in 1992, made 3.8m in 1993

Source: Baseball Reference.com

With the exception of Donnie Baseball, all of the players I have listed above were integral parts of the Yankees' dynasty in the late 90's. Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera and Williams were all developed in the Yankees farm system. Martinez, Brosius and O'Neill were acquired via trade and made about or just above the average salary for a veteran player in the year they debuted.

So again, I disagree with your assertion that Steinbrenner has always bought his teams. The teams that won in the late 90's, the teams that I fell in love with, were built mostly on farm-developed talent and smart trading.

You're just mad that' date=' even with the all the spending, the Frauds are only the third in the AL East.[/quote']

Please point out to me where I said this. Thanks.

Well, hopefully this year we (BREWERS) can get into the playoffs. (we were so close last season >.<)

Anyways, I heard on the radio that they bought Prince Fielder. TBH, why? Hes getting old, and hes fat. He can't play like he used to.

have horrendous cabin fever after some 70 inches of snow this year

Makes me wish that I got that snow blower a while back.

Anyways, I heard on the radio that they bought Prince Fielder. TBH, why? Hes getting old, and hes fat. He can't play like he used to.
How is Prince Fielder old? He'll turn 25 this season, I wouldn't really call that old. He might be a bit husky, but yea, not old.

I disagree.

We saw Jeter in Triple AAA Columbus when he was playing there--he was just terrific, and we knew from his talent he was definitely going to the majors. We didn't anticipate the huge success he's turned into, but he was way ahead of his peers even at the Triple AAA level. It was a lot of fun to watch him play.

I disagree.

Don Mattingly - Drafted 1979, developed through the farm system
Jorge Posada - Drafted 1990, developed through the farm system
Andy Pettitte - Drafted 1990, signed 1991, developed through the farm system
Mariano Rivera - Signed 1990, developed through the farm system
Bernie Williams - Signed 1985, developed through the farm system
Tino Martinez - Traded to NYY from SEA in 1997, made 2.3m in 1998
Scott Brosius - Traded to NYY from OAK in 1997, made 2.65m in 1998
Paul O'Neill - Traded to NYY from CIN in 1992, made 3.8m in 1993

Source: Baseball Reference.com

With the exception of Donnie Baseball, all of the players I have listed above were integral parts of the Yankees' dynasty in the late 90's. Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera and Williams were all developed in the Yankees farm system. Martinez, Brosius and O'Neill were acquired via trade and made about or just above the average salary for a veteran player in the year they debuted.

So again, I disagree with your assertion that Steinbrenner has always bought his teams. The teams that won in the late 90's, the teams that I fell in love with, were built mostly on farm-developed talent and smart trading.

Please point out to me where I said this. Thanks.

You can disagree all you want. However you're wrong. It started with players like Reggie Jackson. It continued through players like Ricky Williams and Dave Windfield. Now it's Texeria, Sabathia and Burnett this year.

Archived