Home

Baseball 2009!

Jae Onasi

You can disagree all you want. However you're wrong. It started with players like Reggie Jackson. It continued through players like Ricky Williams and Dave Windfield. Now it's Texeria' date=' Sabathia and Burnett this year.[/quote']

Your statement was, "George and Hank Steinbrenner have always bought their teams. Ever since George bought the franchise." Yet I have provided you with 9 famous players that were developed by or traded to the Yankees and helped them win four World Series titles. I think I have proved my assertion that the Steinbrenners have not always bought their teams. Yes they signed Reggie Jackson and Dave Winfield to big contracts (I have no idea who you're talking about with 'Ricky Williams'), but as I have shown, they have also utilized the farm system and smart trading.

You don't just get to say 'you're wrong' to me without refuting my points directly.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your statement was, "George and Hank Steinbrenner have always bought their teams. Ever since George bought the franchise." Yet I have provided you with 9 famous players that were developed by or traded to the Yankees and helped them win four World Series titles. I think I have proved my assertion that the Steinbrenners have not always bought their teams. Yes they signed Reggie Jackson and Dave Winfield to big contracts (I have no idea who you're talking about with 'Ricky Williams'), but as I have shown, they have also utilized the farm system and smart trading.

You don't just get to say 'you're wrong' to me without refuting my points directly.

You want a list. Here you go.

Wade Boggs

David Cone

Roger Clemens

Mariano Duncan

Cecil Fielder

Jimmy Key

Tino Martinez

Rubén Sierra

David Wells

All free agent signings in the 90's

Not including the druggies like Steve Howe, Dwight Gooden & Darryl Strawberry.

Rickey Henderson was the name I was trying come up with. :o

You want a list. Here you go.

Wade Boggs

David Cone

Roger Clemens

Mariano Duncan

Cecil Fielder

Jimmy Key

Tino Martinez

Rubén Sierra

David Wells

All free agent signings in the 90's

I have a feeling you're not even reading my posts. For your information, Roger Clemens, Cecil Fielder, Tino Martinez (whom I mentioned in my previous posts) and Ruben Sierra were all acquired via trade.

Not including the druggies like Steve Howe, Dwight Gooden & Darryl Strawberry.

Gooden made $950,000 in 1996 after taking a year off for rehab. Strawberry never made more than $875,000 a year during his 4-year tenure with the Yankees. I think these hardly qualify as extravagant expenditures in the baseball world.

Rickey Henderson was the name I was trying come up with. :o

Rickey was traded to the Yankees in 1984. :roleyess:

You still have not proved how the Yankees have 'always' bought their teams. Until you show me how farm-developing their talent and making smart trades qualifies as 'buying your team', my assertion is correct and yours is wrong. Simple as that.

It's hard to get my spring enthusiasm going when it's so close to zero outside, however, looking ahead, clouds of uncertainty loom over my Brewers who have so many unproven arms in the bullpen.

I am excited to watch SP. Gallardo this season.

...high hopes for him.

He's got the stuff. 96 mph fast ball, nasty slider and a sinker that disappears before your very eyes.

Except for the antics of Braun and Fatboy Fielder, I expect steady play from the wiley vets Hall, Cameron and Counsell.

Villenueva pitched well comming out of the bullpen last year and McClung throws 99mph. Trevor Hoffman is a decent save artist and will have to close doors for this team to win close ones.

Watch out for youngin' Tony Gwynn Jr. I expect him to improve with more playing time.

Can't wait to travel south of the border and pick on those Cubbies.

... Cygnus, who shall win the sausage race the most often? :D

Put your money on the Chorizo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rays and BoSox rained out. :xp:

Lopez and Tony "the ex-Tiger" Clark each hit HR's on both sides of the plate for the D-Backs.

C.C. got hammered. The thing about C.C. going to the Yanks was that C.C. really didn't want to go there. He wanted to stay in the NL so he could hit and go to the west coast to be near his home. The Yankees had to keep upping their price to get him. That's never a good sign that you had to really throw money out there and even then C.C. hesitated to take it. We'll have to see if his heart is in it. C.C. also looks heavier than he usually is.

Another question is did Cliff Lee come back to Earth or is this slump he's been in since Spring Training been a fluke?

Mets fans must have loved watching K-Rod give a preview of what they have been truly missing the last couple of years which cost them two division titles.

Could the Cubs look at this season like a college course -- "Wining a World Series 101"?

I don’t believe the Astros know that season has started already. I also have no clue why they continue to pitch to Pujols. Even with the bases loaded I would not give that man anything to hit given his history against the Astros. Seven RBIs, including a three run homer and a grand slam, Cecil Copper better learn the intentional walk sign or start looking for a new job. Looks like a long unimpressive a baseball season in the Houston area.

Guess I’ll root for the Angles after their tragedy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm happy for the Yanks, particularly A-Rod, he finally gets his ring. It's a pretty great story overall too, the core four all get a whole hand of rings, the new stadium opens with a new banner to hang, Damon has a ring with the Sox and the Yanks. I'm also happy because it means Niner is buying a round, hooray!

Archived