Home

Resident Evil 5

Lynk Former

This is me trying to bring some more life into The Hutt... :p

So, the next instalment in the Resident Evil series is about to come out in March... on Friday the 13th no less. I'm excited, very excited. I know it's not going to be a huge gameplay leap like Resident Evil 4 was in the franchise, but I'm looking forward to playing some great online co-op. Darth Moeller and I are gonna play the entire game all the way through with online co-op and we both can't wait.

What about the rest... *looks around* ...of you guys. I know you're there, all hiding in the shadows.

<.< Noone here but us zombies.

I've never liked the combat system in the RE games. I'm more of a run and gun kinda gal. I tried the demo, and it just confirmed as much, but I certainly see how alot of people will be excited about the game. It's just not my cup 'o tea. I'll stick to L4D. :)

I played the Demo. The controls are stiffer than 4, which already had a fairly limited combat system. Without the Wiimote, the shooting is just as clunky as it was in 4, but now with something that I cannot quite put my finger on that is holding it back.

Plus all you are fighting are crazed villagers and a few mutants. Where are the zombies? The T-virus stuff? The anything really to have to do with the original storyline?

While 4 and 5 are fair games by their own merit, they seem to be related to Resident Evil in the same way the new Prince of Persia is related to its formers. In names only.

And, from what I got in the Demo, it isn't horror at all. Its just survive. I mean, you are a huge guy with a huge knife and a load of guns. Like Dead Space... what is there to be afraid of?

The previous Resident Evil games suffered from an... interesting choice of combat, but it felt more claustrophobic and you weren't often a huge guy with an equally huge knife. You were some cops trying to get the hell out of a zombie apocalypse.

The best way I can say it is: Take Left 4 Dead, but then turn your character into Master Chief.

I know Resident Evil has changed drastically since it began, but that's the nature of story telling over a long period of time. You can't still be doing the same "surviving against the unknown" thing for too long because at some point your characters are going to learn and adapt and the story has to progress.

The is a very indepth story going on with Resident Evil by the time RE4 came out, hell even before that, but the first three main RE games were set in a time that were so close together and RE2 and 3 overlapped each other. In 4 and 6 the characters have grown and the story has progressed. Leon is working with the government to deal with the bio hazard threats, Jill is working for non profit organisations to save peoples lives who are effected while Chris is working for an official group that deals with it. Then in the shadow's you have Wesker who has been plotting something since before the events of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero and Ada who is another complete mystery in the series.

I mean, it's no wonder that there is no horror anymore because part of being scared is not knowing what you're up against... but now that things have progressed this far, the characters and the player already know pretty much all there is to know about zombies and ganado's and the different virus typs T, Veronica T, G, etc... and the parasites and all that...

Also, they can't just end Resident Evil at this point either... there are way too many open ended things going on which they haven't tied up at all... the show must go on, we have to find out how this truely ends, and I do think at some point in the future the series will come to a definitive end.

Also, they can't just end Resident Evil at this point either... there are way too many open ended things going on which they haven't tied up at all... the show must go on, we have to find out how this truely ends, and I do think at some point in the future the series will come to a definitive end.
Yeah, story is one of the things I'm most interested in in RE5, there are just so many unknowns and it will be interesting to see how things play out. The story will definitely end eventually (presumably with Wesker's downfall) but I do not think that will happen for another couple games. I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be a RE6.

Yeah, story is one of the things I'm most interested in in RE5, there are just so many unknowns and it will be interesting to see how things play out. The story will definitely end eventually (presumably with Wesker's downfall) but I do not think that will happen for another couple games. I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be a RE6.
Did you play all of the previous games Moel? 'Cause I didn't and I think that is why I fail to find myself interested in the story of RE5, which is obviously a more self-imposed negativity towards the game. Other than that, after playing the demo, as I mentioned over at Twilight I'm not a fan of the controls, but I do see the appeal of playing the game co-op after playing a few rounds with Lynk. Oh and side note, lol @ the name changing of the TOR forums, how long 'til we lose the [ ] 's?

RE4 was the first game in the series that I played, so I am not completely up to speed on all the different virus' and such like Lynk probably is, but I have played Umbrella Chronicles (lol) so that is like a crash course in RE lore, and I've read stuff on the RE wiki so I pretty much know what is going on.

@ Mav: We should play more, get you more used to how things work and learn how to work as a team more effectively. Hurry up and get your PSN working again :p

Also, the [] descriptions will be gone in a little while... just making sure everyone doesn't panic because of the name changes.

Hurry up and get your PSN working again :p
I'll probably head into my ISP's office tomorrow and trade modems with them for like the 4th time in 2 years.

I loved RE4, but RE5 scares me.
It's not so scary after your partner makes the... thing chasing you go flying about 30 feet in the other direction.

Archived