Home

Add to Star Forge Space Battle

Sith Holocron

The last time I played KOTOR through to the endm I was struck by the lack of the actual fighting done outside the Star Forge - in space. I thought it might be an interesting idea to add one or two space battle scenes - one could be inserted between each of the levels of the Star Forge to add to the space battle. It wouldn't add to the game play I'll grant you, but it would certainly add to the cinematic feel of the game.

What do you folks think?

The scene/s would have to be animated in a 3D app and then rendered out as a BIK movie. The only in-game mod would be scripts to call the extra cutscene/s at certain points.

Exactly! I figured this sort of request might appeal to those having an interest in 3D programs. I imagine scripters would be able to assist the movie makers after the movies are created.

Well, there is a mod for BattleFront II that adds the Kotor era, including the Space Battle at the Star Forge. What you could do is record in-game footage of that, and then convert it to a .bik

Thanks for your input, Alkonium! Though I'm not as familiar with Battlefront II (and more especially, the level you refer to), I am somewhat familiar with two different KOTOR mods for EAW - both of which have been in development for a very long time. My conception of this mod was to appeal more to the 3dsMAX artists that were looking for something up their alley. Though I'm sure you can get decent footage from with either Battlefront II or those aforementioned EAW mods, I'm sure the results from hand created footage would likely be superior - plus it won't be an issue of porting either! ;)

Any chance you could post a picture or two of that Star Forge battle footage in Battlefront II? I'd sure appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sorry, the only picture I could find at the moment of the battle of the star forge in SWBF2 is here

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/screenshots/File/94154/3

I've managed to found video from this mod on youtube, it's better to watch it than a single screenshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbKTHTtpas

Hey, I like your idea SH. If I just knew anything about animating... :xp:

Sith Holocron had asked me to post my interest in this here a while ago after we discussed this, so I apologize for my late-ness.

This shouldn't be too hard. I might try cutting together in-game space battle footage, some rendered videos, and having some of the Commanders of the battleships speak about the battle progress, and then putting that all in a BIK file. I've done a few animated videos before.

I use a program called Blender for animation; unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's a way to import the MDL files, which I've been trying to do for this. Fortunately though the ships shouldn't be too hard to model from scratch.

However, though I could easily do the models, I don't have a lot of experience with explosions/animations, and moving camera work. So I've also been looking around YouTube to look for some KOTOR animated videos and found these. The guy who made them might be interested in helping with this.

Archived