Home

What is the Soundtrack of Your Life?

mimartin

My entire life, no matter if I was confronted with tragedy, triumph or anything in-between music has always been there. It has conformed my through the sad times and made the happy times that much more enjoyable.

My question if they were to make a soundtrack of your life, what would be the songs on it.

Ground rules:

1. Only 10 songs

2. No more than two songs by any one artist.

3. You can write why the song is important to you, but it is not required. After all this is the internet and there are some unsavory characters around. **eyes Lynk suspiciously :xp:

This should not be a list of your favorite songs, but a list of songs every time you hear one reminds you of a person, a place or a time of your life that is important to you.

My list:

1. Nobody Knows – Billy Squier from the Don’t Say No album. This song came out when I was in high school. It reminds me of my first girlfriend, but more than that this would most likely be the main title song of my soundtrack. It probably describes me more than any other song.

2.My Friends, My Friends – Eddie Money from the No Control album. Another song from high school. Of course, this song reminds of my friends, especially a longtime friend that died in an accident shortly after high school.

3. Wheel In The Sky – Journey from the Infinity album. A song from before I was in high school, but it reminds me of my first concert. A large group of friends went to see Loverboy and Journey at the Houston Summit in 1981. Floor seats, great show and a great night highlighted by someone attempting to rob us. Something we all neglected to tell our parents.

4. Rough BoyZZ Top from the Afterburner album. Really don’t know why I’ve included this one. However, I will never forget a conversation with a girl I dated during college and her saying this song embodied me. Never could figure out why.

5. Under The Milky Way – The Church from the Starfish album. This one brings back very happy memories, but with great sadness. This one was also from college. It reminds me of Austin, 6th Street, another girlfriend and a death of someone special.

6. Joey – Concrete Blonde from the Bloodletting album. The song reminds me of getting off a train in Melbourne Australia on holiday.

7. Just Like Heaven – The Cure from the Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me album. This is one of my favorite songs. It reminds me of a vacation to Telluride Colorado. Listen to this song while skiing. I’ve listen to the song other times skiing, but for some reason Telluride stands out. Possibly because of the run called the Plunge.

8. Creep – Radiohead from the album Pablo Honey. Another song that reminds me of an ex-girlfriend. The song reminds me of bar hoping in Houston and her questioning me about why I liked this song so much. She was just reading me to deep. I just like the song.

9. Ironic – Alanis Morissette from Jagged Little Pill. This song reminds me of one of my best friend’s weddings. It was raining; so on the way to the church three drunken groomsmen sang this song to him.

10. Catch My Fall – Billy Idol from the Rebel Yell album. This one reminds me of my cousin who was always there to catch me when I fell until her death.

I listen to music more or less continuously be it via computer, ipod, radio or CDs, so yeah music plays a pretty big part in my life aswell...

righty-ho. enough waxing philosophical, as jolee would say.

1. Pulp - Something Changed

a song from my childhood - always takes me back. plus the strings make me want to dance and weep at the same time.

2. Radiohead - bulletproof... i wish i was

absolutely gorgeous, heartbreaking song about vulnerability and wishes. not that i experience either of those things, like.

3. Snow Patrol - Spitting Games

a song about fancying a girl like hell at school, but lacking self-confidence. no longer a problem, but several years ago... different story.

4. Elbow - Crawling With Idiot

about misanthropy and bitterness, i think.

5. Radiohead - No Surprises

another childhood excerpt.

6. Blur - To The End

largely depressing list so far, so this is a brighter addition. sort of. plus, its ingrained in my consciousness as yet another childhood song.

7. Elbow - Red

they performed this live the first time i saw them, and it was incredible.

8. Oasis - Wonderwall

pretty obvious choice. second song i was able to play on guitar, and another childhood song.

9. Bon Iver - Re: Stacks

impossibly gorgeous song, my favourite from last year. another depressing one mind.

10. Explosions In The Sky - So Long, Lonesome

decided to end on a high note. makes me think of mountains and hot air ballons and crispy blue winter air.

edit: honourable mentions for:

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Roachford - Only To Be With You

Foo Fighters - Come Back

Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes

Snow Patrol - Warmer Climate

PS. great topic, got me thinking. and remembering. awww.

I play Drums and a bit of Guitar, and most of my family on my Dads side are Musicians, so I basically grew up to music in some form or another...

1.Desire- Ozzy Osbourne

2.Tornado of souls- Megadeth

3.On the Run Again- Yngwie Malmsteen

4.The Last One Alive- Vast

5.Carry On My Wayward Son- Kansas

6.Renegade- Styx

7.Blackman- Stevie Wonder

8.Head over Heels- Tears for Fears

10.Queen of the Rÿche- Queensrÿche

a bit eclectic lol, but I listen to so much varied music Constantly I cant really give a definitive 10. These are the most played throughout my life. Good thing about these is they can be for good or bad times hehe :)

I'm reminded of this line from Walk the Line -

If you was hit by a truck and you was lying out there in that gutter dying, and you had time to sing *one* song. Huh? One song that people would remember before you're dirt. One song that would let God know how you felt about your time here on Earth. One song that would sum you up. You tellin' me that's the song you'd sing? That same Jimmy Davis tune we hear on the radio all day, about your peace within, and how it's real, and how you're gonna shout it? Or... would you sing somethin' different. Somethin' real. Somethin' *you* felt. Cause I'm telling you right now, that's the kind of song people want to hear. That's the kind of song that truly saves people. It ain't got nothin to do with believin' in God, Mr. Cash. It has to do with believin' in yourself.

I can only think of 9 for the moment.

I Won't Back Down - Johnny Cash.

If I'm faced with something - i'll see it through, no matter how hard it gets.

Under Pressure - Queen.

I'm not sure exactly why, but it seems to feel 'right'.

Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones.

My home and my family are very important to me,

The Best is Yet to Come - Frank Sinatra.

Well, with my whole life ahead of me, it is, isn't it?

Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra.

Reminds me of a summer a few years ago with a person who was very special to me.

If I Can Dream - Elvis Presley.

It's a song I listen to often - it reminds me that I can achieve anything with the right mindset.

Got a Livin' to Do - Elvis Presley.

Last year, when I was having emergency treatement in hospital, I didn't think I'd have much of a future - now it turns out I do. ;)

Man In Black - Johnny Cash.

It's silly, but this reminds me that no matter how bad things are, there are always people out there worse off than I am.

No-one But You - Queen

A song that reminds me of all the people i've lost, and how important they were.

I play the drums, guitar, bass, and I sing. My dad is a Deadhead and I live in Seattle, so I've pretty much grown up listening to the Grateful Dead and Grunge.

1. Love Hate Love- Alice in Chains

2.Lifter-Deftones

3. Missed the Boat-Modest Mouse

4. Something that I'm not- Megadeth

5. Jambi-Tool

6. Eulogy-Tool

7.Wake up- Mad Season

8. Oh Darling- The Beatles

9. 3 Libras- A Perfect Circle

10. Do the Evolution- Pearl Jam

Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
I wanted to include that one, but the person it reminds me of is not worth remembering. :D

6.Renegade- Styx
Love this song.

Under Pressure - Queen.
A good choice. I use to listen to this and Billy Joel's Pressure when I was stressed out.

I don't think I could think of 10.
You think that is hard, try getting my age and limiting yourself to ten. :D

Well since honorable mentions are obliviously not against the rules. :D

Honorable mentions:

I Hate Everything – George Strait from 50 Number Ones album. Second most played song on my IPod behind Under the Milky Way. Like to listen to this song when I feeling regretful.

A Man I’ll Never Be – Boston from the Don’t Look Back album. The reason is private. ;)

You Wanted More – Tonic from the Sugar album. This song remind me of a really nansty breakup. Even so, it still has over 30 play in ITunes.

Disease – Matchbox Twenty – from the More Than You Think You Are album. Reminds me of a bachelor party and that is all I going to say about that. :xp:

nice idea. i know that mine are going to relate a lot to my faith (i'm a Christian) since i find a lot of inspiration for my faith inside of music.

mine would probably go something like this (in no particular order):

Demon Hunter, One Thousand Apologies - this is hands down one of the best songs that can describe my faith and how it relates to my life.

Demon Hunter, Follow the Wolves - probably one of the most inspirational songs i've ever listened to, and every time i hear it, it serves as a reminder as to both who i am and the people i'm willing to follow.

Project 86, Hollow Again - this one is a lot like the way i view a lot of people in their daily pursuits, and i listen to it a lot whenever i feel discouraged about some of the situations i face in my life.

Disciple, Dive - the most played song on my iPod (167!!), and its probably my favorite song that deals directly with my faith.

Project 86, My Will Be a Dead Man - the second most played song on me iPod (128!!), and this one actually holds one of my favorite motto's which is why it relates so personally to me.

Skillet, Whispers In the Dark - the song that i listened to over and over during a nasty breakup last year.

TobyMac (with DC Talk), Atmosphere (remix) - a very close friend of mine once asked me if i would be there for her no matter where she was. to answer her, all i did was play this song.

Skillet , Ripping Me Off - this is how i felt about my college education at the first university i went to (and no, its probably not what your thinking).

Living Sacrifice, Sellout - *the* song that i listen to when i'm really mad. it just covers a lot of bases with the lyrics.

Red, Pieces - another song that i listened to a lot during that same breakup last year.

I generally listen to a very large selection of music, so this would change very often, but 10 is hardly enough songs :D

1. Bon Jovi - It's My Life

2. Setu Firestorm - The Fade

3. Frank Sinatra - My Way

4. Genesis - Land of Confusion

5. Killswitch Engage - Vide Infra

6. Metallica - One

7. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

8. Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

9. Oasis - Wonderwall

10. Rush - Something for Nothing

I would explain them all, but it would take up half the web.

Matthew Flatley - Warriors

It just kind of reminds me of how my life has progressed. The song struggles on for awhile, in a way, just as my life once did, and then about 2/3's of the way through it goes fast paced and intense which kind of signifies to me how much I've learned and changed in these past three years...

John Lennon - Imagine

I rarely listen to this but the song really means a lot to me.

Breaking Benjamin - Blow me away

This song kind of makes me feel powerful in a way that I feel I can take on the world. :xp:

I can't really think of any more at the moment, because any other songs I mention I'd only mention because I thought they sounded cool, but not because they had meaning to me.

I don't really have a soundtrack, I just have Randy Newman follow me on a rolling piano while I narrate everything that happens.

"Fat man, with, his kids and dog. Drove in through the morning fog. Hey there rover, come on over!"

If you've seen it you'll understand

In no particular order. I thought that it was really hard to condense it down to just 10 but I will try...

Dc Talk--Let's Roll

Skillet--Rebirthing

U2--Beautiful Day

Give Me Your Eyes--Brandon Heath

You Decide--Brandon Heath

Jars Of Clay - Flood

To Fly--Day of Fire

Frontlines--Pillar

Casting Crowns - Slow Fade

Disturbed-Prayer

( I know that I am already at ten, but I have to put this one in...)

Into the fire - Thirteen Senses

Well after thinking really hard, here is my list.

Ready When You Are by. Trapt

Cancer by. My Chemical Romance

Little Smirk by. Theory of a Deadman

The Way that you Are by. The Classic Crime

Hey Love by. 12 Stones

Words by. After Midnight Project

Broken Man by. Boys Like Girls

Sidewalks by. Story of the Year

Overdose by. Hurt

Picture of You by. The Cure

Whatever I could think of:

MONORAL - Goodbye

Empyrium - Under Dreamskies

Iron Maiden - The Journeyman

Sigh - Bring Back the Dead

Summoning - Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes

Wintersun - Beautiful Death

God Is An Astronaut - Forever Lost

Maaya Sakamoto - Gravity

Simon & Garfunkel - Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream

Neu! - Hallogallo

The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky. It's really anything from Tchaikovsky since I can't really list a specific composition. But, I used to listen to any classical composers for that matter, like Beethoven, Strauss, Vivaldi, Mozart, etc. I reminds me of my childhood really..

The Real Slim Shady by Eminem. Rap was really the first genre of music that I really listened to exclusively. I still listen to rap and hip-hop to the day, just not as much.

Shut Me Up by Mindless Self Indulgence. For some reason, this is the band that reminds me of my trip to Europe last spring. It was definitely one of my best experiences of my life and this band was what I was listening to while I was there. Can't wait till the 26th when I see them live.

Du Hast by Rammstein. I think it was the first Rammstein song I heard. Rammstein was what started me into liking metal.

Straight Out of Line by Godsmack. Probably my favourite metal song. It's been played the most from my all the metal that I have (250).

You Know My Name by Chris Cornell. It's my most played song (326). And it's from my favourite movie.

Becoming the Bull by Atreyu. Atreyu was the first band that I've ever seen live. And this is one of my favourite by them. Definitely brings back some great memories.

Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold. Avenged Sevenfold fold is probably my favourite band. I also some them when I saw Atreyu. Brings back memories of high school.

Down With The Sickness by Disturbed. When I saw Disturbed live last December, this was the last song they played. And boy, was that awesome. I don't think I've seen a song acted and sang so well.

Contractor by Lamb of God. This is present day. And I this is what I am listening to now. Can't wait to see them live in April.

Archived