Home

At the end of Cloverfield [spoiler]

leXX

How many of you noticed the thing fall from the sky into the sea at the end of Cloverfield? We were watching it again today, and my husband noticed it. I couldn't believe I never spotted it before, it explains everything now.

Right at the end, after they have been blow up and are dead, it cuts back to them at the funfair. Look to right of the scene and you will spot it just when the camera does a double beep. I took a screenie, and although you can't really see it in this pic, it indicates where to look.

picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=3031

Yep. I noticed this and I loved the movie. I also like how so much is unexplained. I mentioned that scene to one of my friends and he thinks that it is the monster falling from space.

I also looked it up online and some people say that it is a satellite that fell from space, went down into the ocean and woke up the monster. While I think the second explanation is less believable, I kind of like it more because it touches into the mysterious of the deep ocean.

Thank you for making this thread. You inspired me to watch the movie and I thought it was awesome. After I watched it I went and actually read the thread, then I had to go back and watch the end again. Yeah, I can see it. It's really hard to miss. I don't know exactly what that's supposed to explain though. :p

Well it explains where the creature came from, because that question was left unanswered unless you spotted that at the end. We now know its from outer space. My theory would be some kind of bacteria on a comet, that reacted to a chemical in our ocean and mutated, but that's just me. :)

I think the viral marketing used to hint that the creature was supposedly buried under seabed or so, and miners working for a Japanese company (the one the protagonist is going to work for) come across him. This causes the beast to wake up and blah blah blah. Come to think of it, that sounds more like a plot for a cartoon series than a Hollywood movie.

For some reason Cloverfield always reminds me of the Korean film "The Host."

The styles are very different, but they both showcase an enormous creature rising up from the depths of the water near a major city.

While kind of cheesy at times, I really loved The Host, and I'd recommend it to everyone here.

EDIT: Just checked out Rotten Tomatoes. It got a 92%. I guess I wasn't the only person who liked it, haha.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/host/

Cloverfield got a 76%. Interesting. That's still pretty good, considering how stupid critics usually are.

This movie isn't one of my faves but having being told from a camera made me feel sorry for the main characters my heart was racing and I put myself in their position. I did see the thing fall, but why didn't anyone else see it and investigate it? Surely the military spotted something. After the credits you realize that the monster is still alive!

While kind of cheesy at times, I really loved The Host, and I'd recommend it to everyone here.

I love The Host too, awesome film. Both films do have a lot of similarities yes.

I remember reading somewhere that the monster was really inspired by "The Bloop", and the that object we see falling from the sky at the end, was indeed a satellite, as Vikinor pointed out. The satellite apparently woke up the monster that lay dormant in the ocean.

Hmm, my theory would have been a better story. :p

Monsters rising out of the sea is hardly a new thing, they've been making Gojira-movies for quite some time. I liked Cloverfield when I saw it in the theater, the Host had too wacky characters though, which detracted from my enjoyment of it.

I remember reading somewhere that the monster was really inspired by "The Bloop", and the that object we see falling from the sky at the end, was indeed a satellite, as Vikinor pointed out. The satellite apparently woke up the monster that lay dormant in the ocean.

I've never heard of that, that's awesome.

I liked both Cloverfield and the Host, though I think I liked Cloverfield better, probably just for the pacing of the movie. Plus I really liked the whole amateur feel of Cloverfield. They did it perfectly and made it seem really realistic.

I remember seeing Cloverfield in the theatres and didn't think it was that great. But, I've been wanting to see it again. But, I think I recall seeing that when I saw it.

Keep in mind that I did work in a movie theatre, so I tend to see the parts of movies very frequently and typically the same one. ;) (Especially during The Dark Knight :p)

right, and it took the monster over a month to fully wake up :rolleyes:

I found a really fascinating thing in that entry:

Because the Bloop noise originated near the location of the fictional sunken city of R'lyeh from H. P. Lovecraft's story "The Call of Cthulhu", the Bloop has been linked to Cthulhu by Lovecraft fans.

Seriously makes me want to read some Lovecraft now. I am ordering the book off Amazon.com right now!

This is kinda random, but do you guys remember the scene where they are crossing the bridge and a giant tentacle like thing destroys it? That could somewhat support the sea theory. Of course, who is to say that space creatures aren't allowed to have tentacles?

I also read that there was more than one monster. A mother and a baby. Anyone else hear about that one?

Archived