Have you played an MMO before?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played an MMO before?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First MMO... I've never been very happy with paying 12 dollars a month or so for a game I play around five times a month. Of course, I'm hoping TOR will be an exception. :D

Play five times a month? You really have no idea how many hours people put into mmo's do you lol.

When I was completely addicted to WoW, I played it for around 6 - 9 hours every single day for 2 years. Sad I know, but something I consider extremely good value for money. It actually saved me money, because before WoW I would buy 2 or 3 games per month costing £60+, compared to the £8 a month I was spending with WoW.

Yeah i had my share of experiences of MMO's i played Guild Wars SWG and WoW

I liked them all in someway but WoW is still my favourite and it will possibly always be my favourite as it brings new content very often or fixes

i liked Guild Wars for the cool armor and much more but didn't like that it was to short not the game but the leveling just 20 that doesn't fit me and then it didn't have anything else to work for and another thing all the stuff was to expensive

SWG was my first real MMO and it was cool and i still like not as much as WoW though i like the feeling of being in the world of Star Wars and i liked the weapons armor proffesions but the thing tha takes down the poins is that it's almost the same landscape everywhere on the planets like Tatooine is like sand,flat,flat hey a mountain,more sand and flat earth on naboo it was the same but green and more rivers and more mountains

but it is quite good

so no it's not my first mmo im not even sure if i play it i don't think there will be any game in a long time that is gonna beat WoW also it kind of disappointed me that they are not making kotor 3 they could at least have put it a few years after TSL

Nope.

I bought Guild Wars in 05 or 06, played that for a bit. Got to a point in the game known as Post Searing and I quit around level 12 or so.

Moved on to World of Warcraft. Played this game for a couple years, loved it. I didn't really care much for the Burning Crusade expansion, but I still purchased it and achieved the then maximum level of 70. The Burning Crusade expansion changed too much and in ways I did not like. Raiding was changed, Battlegrounds, Blood Elf Hunters, Outland was rather boring, and it also felt like they made the game a lot easier and more "mainstream".

I then tried out Tabula Rasa. It was a fun fast paced game. It needed some tweaking and I think it would have been a great game given time.

After those, Warhammer Online. A lot more was promised than what was received in this game, but I still liked it. The Player versus Player is quite fun, in my opinion.

I'm getting a little tired of monthly fees, so I'm enjoying free things. Or at least things with a subscription fee of less than $15 a month. I'm currently playing Guild Wars again because I never reached the highest level and decided since I have the time, then why not. I'm enjoying it.

I'd like for TOR to not have a subscription fee, but that is unlikely. If it does have one, then I hope it is such a good game that it is worth it. I wouldn't mind paying then.

• 4 weeks later...

I played SWG since launch and still play. It's freeform gameplay and Star Wars setting make it a cut above the rest. Plus, six years later, it's graphics are still pleasing on the eyes.

And let me say, for you MMO newbies, I would recommend trying the WoW and SWG Trials. WoW--to understand what most of the incoming TOR players have played. I'd be willing to bet that a large minority (or even slim majority) of TOR players will only played WoW as far as MMOs go. Dinking around with WoW will allow you to relate to them. SWG--to understand the 'standard' TOR will be raised against. Even though TOR will probably be closer gameplay-wise to WoW, SWG is the only Star Wars MMO out there. So, many people will continue to compare the two. Not to mention, once you get used to it, you'll realize that SWG is the most underrated MMO on the market (far better than WoW, anyways).

I played SWG since launch and still play. It's freeform gameplay and Star Wars setting make it a cut above the rest. Plus, six years later, it's graphics are still pleasing on the eyes.

And let me say, for you MMO newbies, I would recommend trying the WoW and SWG Trials. WoW--to understand what most of the incoming TOR players have played. I'd be willing to bet that a large minority (or even slim majority) of TOR players will only played WoW as far as MMOs go. Dinking around with WoW will allow you to relate to them. SWG--to understand the 'standard' TOR will be raised against. Even though TOR will probably be closer gameplay-wise to WoW, SWG is the only Star Wars MMO out there. So, many people will continue to compare the two. Not to mention, once you get used to it, you'll realize that SWG is the most underrated MMO on the market (far better than WoW, anyways).

*passes Jek the Beer and Pie*

SWG is a good game. A lot of people give it a thumbs down, but in reality, it has many elements that are not in other MMO's. And now with the Appearance tab we can look unique(again). I honestly think if the game had launched as it is now(maybe sans Jedi), people would have rated it higher.

Then I played some Guild Wars because it was free and played that for awhile before giving the account to my friend. It was bland, simple, and pretty poorly organized overall. The lack of an auction house made finding something nearly impossible, along with the many other odd ends like broken quests, bad npcs, etc. It was pretty, but I didn't really like it but respected hat it had tried to do and still think its a brilliant way to put MMOs together. I'm not sure how they are going to do TOR, but Guild Wars would be a better base than most to start from.

^ Sums up Guild Wars pretty well. Although you didn't pay monthly, to keep up at all in PVP or with a guild you needed to purchase the nearly biannual expansion packs, which added up to the price you would pay for a monthly subscription anyway.

Well, I played Guild Wars for about 15 minutes, until the repetitive quests, bland NPCs, boring combat, and overall blah-ness made me uninstall it with passion.

I did that, and then got into WoW to hang out with my girlfriend while we were at different colleges.

I played WoW quite religiously for about a year and a half, and Guild Wars, for about 10 minutes.

I wasn't a fan of how everyone looked nearly the same, and the ability to make a max leveled character right away.

The brief Guild Wars stint was in my "I friggen hate WoW!" stage <_<

• 2 weeks later...
So yes, I've played a MMO before, but I don't know much about the MMO "experience."

The basic idea is that an MMO is 60% what you make it, 20% what the community makes it and 20% what the game itself is.

And that's why people who complain about MMO's ruining everything generally aren't really all that fun to talk to.

Archived