Home

Will SWTOR be your first MMO?

Jeff

Have you played an MMO before?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played an MMO before?

• Yes
    • No

For those of you who plan to play or at least try out SWTOR when it is released eventually, will it be your first MMO experience, or have you played other MMOs in the past? If so, which MMOs?

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get MMOTOR; depends largely on what type of game it's going to be and how much it will cost. So I'm waiting for more information before making a decision. If I do get it though it will (likely) be my first MMORPG. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly plan to play The Old Republic once it's released! I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars Extended Universe, and real lore buff when it comes to anything Star Wars related. This won't be my first MMO though; I've played quite a number, because they provide the opportunity for a diverse, everchanging world setting, while giving you the chance to interact with other people in a hopefully friendly social environment. Here's the MMO's that I've played and am currently playing:

1. City of Heroes/City of Villains*

2. World of Warcraft

3. EVE Online*

4. Star Wars Galaxies

5. Everquest II

6. Matrix Online

7. Guild Wars*

8. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

9. Auto Assault

10. Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa

11. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning*

12. Final Fantasy XI

13. Phantasy Star Universe Online

14. Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures

*Indicates an MMO I'm currently playing.

^ Welcome to LF! ^_^

@ thread This would maybe be my first were I not having a little issue with credit cards that see fit to raise rates, despite my flawless history.

I'd very much enjoy a little bit of freelance as a blademaster/battlemaster. Just cannot decide if I want to be Jedi or Sith.

Then again I also have a bit of pride of a K3:SWRP. HEY, I can dream, can't I?!

• 1 month later...

Not sure how many I have played now.

But ones i remeber are asherons call 2 which got me hooked on mmo's cause it was teh first one that actully had good graphics. Then played SWG for about a year. Lineage 2 for about a month. A bunch of betas killing time waiting for wow. Then got into WoW closed beta and played up till about 6 months ago. Plyed warhammer for about 3 months was alot like wow but none of my firneds moved over so i got bored. Now im back to playing betas killing time waiting for TOR or the next MMo that really tickles my fancy.

The other MMO im excited about is Copernicus. Its a fantasy MMOG being made by 38 studios. Which was started by Red Sox picture Curt Schilling. And he is working with R. A. Salvatore ( my favorite fantasy novel author) and Todd McFarlane known best for spawn comic.

But for now I'm trying to not play to many mmo's so when TOR comes out ill will be fresh and it will have a new feel to it not just a different mmo feel you get after you keep bouncing from one to the next.

I got the Star Wars galaxies 14 day free trial. I got too bored to continue by day 2. (There's only so many times you can run the same old generic errands for everyone you meet before it's just one big deja vu headache.) Never been interested in any other MMO. It's the whole pay to play thing, I'd have to really, really love a game to feel like paying a subscription to play it.

But this is Bioware. And KOTOR (Kinda). That makes it different. I can't not at least try it.

That and I'm always being told I should interact with real people more often. :D

I spent about 5 years playing Everquest, but got tired of having no life and sitting in front of a computer for 60 hours per week. That's what worries me (and my wife) about TOR. Gotta try not to get sucked in again.

I've played so many MMOs I can't even remember all of them. I used to play the text-based MMOs back in the day, and I've played and/or beta tested for Everquest, DAoC, EVE Online, Neocron, SWG, EQ2, WoW, Age of Conan, Final Fantasy XI, Lord of the Rings Online, Phantasy Star Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea, World War II Online, Goal Line Blitz, Shadowbane, Sims Online, Lineage 2, Ultima Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Guild Wars off the top of my head.

I spent about 5 years playing Everquest, but got tired of having no life and sitting in front of a computer for 60 hours per week. That's what worries me (and my wife) about TOR. Gotta try not to get sucked in again.

It boils down to setting up rules that one keeps. Also to have others interests in life that you dedicate your time to. Not letting the game be the only thing.

And that's why people who complain about MMO's ruining everything generally aren't really all that fun to talk to.

Not fun to Talk to maybe, but no more than any other internet person... and that doesn't mean that a genre change cant ruin a game series, regardless of ones conversation skills. (Just Saying)

You say Boring, I say non mmo fan.

You say Facebook, I say Star Wars RPG.

I play MMO's, just saying that the Community aspect is nothing compared to a good Story to follow :)

I've had very limiter MMO experience in that I've played a what amounts to several hours of Ultima Online (great game in its day, but I never had the hardware/net for it back then) and an hour of so of WoW at my ex's.

Then there're countless hours of Diablo II on Battle.net, but that isn't really an MMO...

• 2 weeks later...

Nope,

I played Runescape religiously for about two years. Got WoW played it for three months then realized (as a kid spending all his allowance on an mmo) there are better things I could do with my time.

TOR will probably be the first mmo I 100 % enjoy. Except for all those annoying 13 year olds the game will obviously attract. You know the type. The kind who call you a noob on the first day of release because you died while exploring.

Played SWG for about a week. WoW lasted longer 'cause one of my friends was addicted to it and was the only game he would play for awhile. SWG I could absolutely not get into, probably because I joined well after they made all those changes that pissed off everyone. WoW was fun, I guess, but was pretty repetitive, and everyone ignored the story anyway and just went for gear all the time.

I've got faith that BioWare will turn out an excellent title, like pretty much everything else they make.

This will be my first MMO, which worries me. I have avoided them because I don't have enough time to dedicate to the game to justify a monthly payment to play it, plus I'm more into story than anything else when it comes to games. I've heard most MMO's lack story, so I've never really been interested.

However, since I am such a massive KotOR fan, I think I have to at least try SWTOR. Hopefully it will end up as addictive as its non-MMO predecessors were.

This.

I was pretty upset when I found out that we weren't getting a KOTOR 3 and I've never been a big fan of MMOs, I just didn't have the time nor the energy to justify paying a monthly fee. I'm still pretty pissed off that we have to pay a monthly fee on top of the in store price for TOR, but this game looks so amazing that I guess I'll just have to make do.

This will be my possible 4th/5th depending on if i get into the Champions Online Beta at some point.

Played Guild Wars for 3 years

Played WoW for a month, got to 60, realised that was all the game had to offer and quit.

Currently Playing Warhammer Online which is miles better PvP than any other game at the moment (that isn't a FPS)

Archived