Home

Vision for BF3 - Battlefront: The Clone Wars

talon1579

After watching the new CGI Clone Wars TV series, I think the new Battlefront should reflect it. With its slightly more cartoony graphics, development should be much quicker and a better game can be made.

Also, limiting the game to the Clone Wars makes more sense. The Galactic Civil War, while it just about works with space battles (even then, the Rebels deliberately avoided fleet action with the Empire until Endor, despite what you see in Empire at War), the Rebels and Imperials rarely fought land battles. The reason for both in the same, the Rebels were ridiculously outneumbered and thus fought mostly guerilla warfare.

The Clone Wars, however, is the opposite, featuring literally millions of Clones and droids. If anything, Battlefront 1 and 2 failed to get across the sheer numbers. There's a simple way to rectify this - squad-based combat - most troops will be accompanied by an AI squad.

Battlefront 3: Clone Wars Plan

Singleplayer

Multiplayer

Republic Classes

Clone Trooper Squad

-6 Clone Troopers, each Clone's loadout customisable

-Main Weapons:

-DC-15A Rifle - long-ranged, accurate rifle. Lower RoF than DC-15S

-DC-15S Carbine - medium-range, less accurate rifle. High RoF

-Heavy Weapons (maximum of 2 per squad, those 2 only carry pistols)

-PLX-1 Missile Launcher

-Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon (chaingun)

-Jetpack (optional (whole squad on/off), removes heavy weapons and only allows DC-15S)

-Abilties:

-Take cover (Cloens take cover behind enarest obstacle, if in open

ground they lie/crouch

-Formation Change (switch between column, line and ring formations)

-Autofire (clones fire at targets automatically - only your player is

controlled by you - autofire always enabled in ring formation)

-Grenades

-Thermal Detonators

-Sidearm

-DC-17 Pistol

Clone Captain

-Main Weapon

-Dual DC-17 Pistols, unlimited ammo

-Melee Attack (punches/kicks)

-Ion Grenades x 6 (disable droids for 5 seconds)

-Abilities

-Call artillery barrage - calls barrage on outdoor maps, 1 per min.

-Visor - flip down visor with 10x zoom - can designate targets that

appear on minimap with this

-Faster running speed - 1.5x speed of normal soldiers

Clone Scout

-Main Weapon: DC-15x Sniper Rifle

-Sidearm: DC-17 pistol

-Abilites

-Jammer - immune to scans

-Scanner - displays enemies on minimap for 15 seconds - 1 per min

Clone Pilot

-Only unit capable of operating tanks/walkers/starfighters

Main Weapon - DC-15S Carbine

Abilites - Fusion Cutter - repair vehicles

Jedi

-Depending on battle, 1-3 specific Jedi are available. Each player gets 1 life as Jedi, the next player then gets the Jedi for a life. Once all players have used a jedi, jedi retreats from battle.

-Main Weapon - Lightsaber

-Abilties

-Force leap

-Fast running speed

-Saber throw

-Force powers x2 (vary with jedi used)

Separatist Classes

Battle Droid Squad

-12 Battle Droids, armed with E-5 Blaster Rifles and SE-14 Pistols

-Optional - arm four droids with E-60 Missile Launchers (Rifles replaced with pistols)

-Formations - Column, Line, Ring

Super Battle Droid Squad

-6 Super Battle Droids, armed with wrist Blasters and wrist rockets

-Optional - jetpacks - wrist rockets replaced by jetpacks

Assassin Droid Pair

-1 droid with sniper rifle, 1 with E-5 Rifle. Second droid protects you from enemies automatically.

-Main Weapon: E-5s Sniper Rifle

-Sidearm: SE-14 Pistol

-Abilites

-Jammer - immune to scans

-Scanner - displays enemies on minimap for 15 seconds - 1 per min

Droideka

-"Destroyer Droid" has ability to roll quickly and deploy, shield appears for 30 seconds on deployment.

Main Weapon - dual wrist blasters

Dwarf Spider Droid

Dwarf Spider droid

Main Weapon - Blaster Cannon

Droid Pilot

-Only unit capable of operating tanks/walkers/starfighters

Main Weapon - E-5 Carbine

Abilites - Fusion Cutter - repair vehicles

Republic Vehicles

(all vehicle turrets auto-operated until human players get in)

Delta-7 - Early Jedi starfighter, Jedi only (Jedi starfighters are extremely manoeuvrable)

LAAT/i Gunship - 1 Pilot, 2 gunners, space for 12 troops (space + land)

V-19 Torrent - 1 pilot (space + land, armed with concussion missiles)

BTL-S3 Y-Wing - 1 pilot, 1 turret gunner (space, armed with proton bombs)

ARC-170 - 1 pilot, 1 rear gunner (space, armed with proton torpedoes)

V-Wing - 1 Pilot (space, lasers only)

Eta-2 - Late Jedi starfighter, Jedi only

more to come

Galactic Civil War please! ;) Its not that I don't like the cartoon series, but Battlefront has been about being in the star wars battles for the movies itself, time to time there may be some EU material. If they expand on the Clone Wars, older audiences would probably loose interest unless the expand on the Original Trilogy as well, most people like shooting stormtroopers instead of battle droids! Your ideas are good, but I'd rather not have the kidlike Clone Wars series start infecting everything!

After watching the new CGI Clone Wars TV series, I think the new Battlefront should reflect it. With its slightly more cartoony graphics, development should be much quicker and a better game can be made.

So you want TF2 with blasters? No.

Also, limiting the game to the Clone Wars makes more sense. The Galactic Civil War, while it just about works with space battles (even then, the Rebels deliberately avoided fleet action with the Empire until Endor, despite what you see in Empire at War), the Rebels and Imperials rarely fought land battles. The reason for both in the same, the Rebels were ridiculously outneumbered and thus fought mostly guerilla warfare.

Limiting replay value and alienating half of star wars fans? No.

The Clone Wars, however, is the opposite, featuring literally millions of Clones and droids. If anything, Battlefront 1 and 2 failed to get across the sheer numbers. There's a simple way to rectify this - squad-based combat - most troops will be accompanied by an AI squad.

Theres these things called processors and ram and other fancy sounding names. These things have limits. Once you reach these limits, things stop working. Having your millions of units makes this impossible for everyone who hasn't spent $10000 on a top of the line computer, which seeing has how we're in a recession, I doubt many have. And companies like to sell millions of products. Not 500.

snip

tl dnr

Sounds more like an idea for an RTS. I think you should tell Petroglyph games to make EAW2 like that!

TF2 was very, very violent and not that cartoony, just an art direction, but I wouldn't want my children to see soldiers getting bonesawed or blown up!

As for technology, how many polys are the modern fps games using?!?! Seriously, if they weren't so obsessed with making the butts of the female chars so smooth you could have thousands of characters on screen easy, as early PS2/XboX games demonstrated. Cell shaded games are generally low poly anyway so with modern tech it'd be a breeze.

Oh yes, female rebel sniper! *licks lips*

haven't played SWBF2 in so long, I'd forgotten about that "epic" mode! Now make that the default and now we have something that impresses. Especially when most modern games think having 3 enemies in the same room is "HOLY SMOKE AMAZING!"

I said the Clone Wars featured millions of troops, not my game (thanks for misquoting). Assuming mos players go for a 6 or 12 man squad, and 16 a team or so, that's about 150 units on a battlefield. Easy for a computers to handle in MP.

I would rather see a Battlefront 3 devote to all 6 movies. Battlefront 2 was geared toward Clone war period due to Revenge of the Sith being released in 2005. I love both sequels to the original. I think adding more playable Jedi/Sith and bounty hunters would be perfect. I have been waiting forever to play has Greedo, Bossk, IG-88, Aurra Sing, Ventress, Dengar, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, and throw in Dash Rendar and Kyle Katarn. Admrial Thrawn, Maris Brood, Shak Ti, Starkiller, and playable Imperial Royal Guards.

I think adding more playable Jedi/Sith and bounty hunters would be perfect.

Not to target you personally, but no thank you. For those of you who want to play as heroes, there's Mos Eisley Assault. If you don't like fighting on fair ground with other players, then perhaps the SWBF2 community is better off without you.

Assuming most players go for a 6 or 12 man squad, and 16 a team or so, that's about 150 units on a battlefield. Easy for a computers to handle in MP.

No. There's a reason that most servers either only have 5 AI a team or have AI off completely. There's this lovely little word; I think we all know it. It's called "Lag." It's a fun little thing, especially for those people who don't have uber-fast internet. Most big servers have a max of 36 people. Plus, say, 10 AI per team. 56 units vs your 150? I can really tell you thought that one out. Jawa didn't misquote, he pretty much clarified what we were all thinking. Allow me to tell you what it sounded like:

Clone Wars had millions of units.
The games didn't get the sheer numbers across.
The games need to have millions of units to get the sheer numbers across.

I thought that Republic at War would be so awesome... but we'll see what happens.

I hate the Clone Wars cartoon. I hate the voices in general, the dumb little quips and puns by the battle droids (they are built to fight, not question/delay orders by General Grievous...). Probably what gets me most is how they screwed Temuera Morrison (and Bodie Taylor) out of voicing the clones, but instead replacing them with corny-sounding Australian accents. How vile!

What I really want to see in Battlefront III, for sure, is system clone models (91st Reconnaissance Corps on Saleucami, 212th Attack Battalion on Utapau and so on, for appropriate systems). The 501st dominated skins drove me insane in BFII. I wanted to see Cody's 212th on Utapau, not the 501st led by Obi-Wan against Grievous... that doesn't even make sense, since it didn't happen.

Something else important for III, without a doubt, is way more space maps. The six in BFII with two different modes got old quick.

Another thing, is that there are not a wide enough variety of the war machines that were used in the Clone Wars featured in BFII. Sailing over the beaches of the Kashyyyk carrying troops in inside a HAVw A6 Juggernaut.

Most important to me, due to my permanent love of the vehicles, more LAAT/i gunships! I want to see them in land combat, as well as the in-game equivalent in BFII (Heavy Missle Platform of the CIS). I didn't like that those weren't present in ground conflicts in BFII at all. They are beautiful vehicles that are so awesome to behold as they come in for a quick landing, deployment of their Boys in White, and take off for another pick-up.

What else is there, really? But please... no lame-o children's cartoon additions. I consider all that nonsense to be non-canon. I refuse to recognize the cheap rip-off.

Sorry, but I find it unacceptable.

GL/HF

I don't like the space levels TBH, they just don't merge with the gameplay very well at all. If the capital ships were HUGE bases where you could have battles inside and had destructible targets (and were easier to kill from the inside) then I could see it being fun preventing shuttles carrier invaders from docking before they become a spawn point and disable stuff, but in BF2 it's a token gesture at best.

Also I really want the game to be balanced as far as vehicles, not so much nerfing, but I loved scenes like BF1 Rhen Var where one side had one powerful walker and several support units vs an armoured base and few support units. Infantry maps like Naboo fields where you just "die" from being in the open too long are just not fun!

Star Wars Battlefront was meant to relive the conflicts of the two trilogies, eventually Battlefront will(or not) expand into the EU. The Clone Wars cartoon may have become popular, but a game for a younger audience should be built for them, not Battlefront, it wouldn't sell as well.

The Clone Wars cartoon and Battlefront II aren't even within the same age range by the SROs' (self-regulatory organizations) standards, from what I understand. To impose the themes of such a flawed and not-so-greatly received piece of work onto the sequel of a game series like this would be ridiculous. I hope no one from LucasArts ever even conceives of the idea, for I fear someone may be insane enough to push it.

The reason it's so bad is that they're trying to milk the series for all it's worth, which, after all this time and wasted time, isn't a whole lot. That series is really awful...after the first 10 minutes I watched of it, I switched to the Weather Channel. The real problem is that they aren't in the same age range, even though originally, they were supposed to be sort of a combined age range. If they do make a game out of it, they'd better not expect it to be on the same level as (from what we know) SWBFIII will be.

When i first saw super Bombard I thought it was a cheap pirate rip-off, not a licensed game. I think LA has the "throw enough **** at the wall and some will stick" approach to making games. Like they're hoping maybe one day they'll make a rushed, under-developed and excruciatingly painful piece of "gaming" that'll sell.

Although i gotta admit, the old pod racer arcade machines were awesome

Archived