True_Avery

Should Tor have jumping?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tor have jumping?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yoda

Is it awesome? Is it lame?

No-one truly knows, but its a national pass time in World of Warcraft. More often than not you will walk into a city and see maybe a dozen people just jumping in circles or jumping around the auction house to pass some times while something is being planned, auction is going on, etc.

Matrix Online had an amazing form of jumping in which you would jump regularly, but at level 10 got a new super jump ability. Every level past that you would jump higher and higher. Like some MMOs in which you get a mount, the main form of transportation in MO was jumping vast distances. I had a beta key which gave me super jump early, then at level 10 I got a beta participant only super jump, and then found a shirt that gave me more jump ability. It was damn fun.

In TOR, jumping could have many uses. Force Jump is obvious for Jedi, while non-Jedi have things like Jet-Packs. You could jump over a particularly annoying set of mobs (Get used to that term. It means group of enemy npcs), get somewhere faster, get up onto a ledge or over a hill to make a shortcut, etc.

Or, it could have simple jumping of a few feet by pressing spacebar like WoW

So, what do you think? Jumping? No Jumping?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that each and every character should have a standard 'short-jump' - like Grand Theft Auto or Mafia style, just enough to clear a low ledge, or climb over something if BioWare wants to implement that.

The, of course, Jedi/Sith should have their Force Jump, but to discourage Jae's Tiggers I would like to see it cost some amount of Force Points. The added bonus to that is waiting for some twit to waste his Jedi force points on jumping, then attack him and gain easy victory! :lol:

I would definitely like to see jumping implemented - it could give a greater feel of interaction with the environment BioWare is building if you could, say, jump or climb up onto an otherwise inaccessible ridge and get a view over whatever world you are on. Of course, there is also a combat application - Episode I style vaulting to higher platforms, etc.

Jumping is one of those odd things that just feels missing when it's not there.

There doesn't have to be a need for it in TOR, as our skills could have the jump involved such as the different Power Attacks in KotOR. That said, just a regular "space-bar" jump needs to be included.

Jumping is one of those odd things that just feels missing when it's not there.

There doesn't have to be a need for it in TOR, as our skills could have the jump involved such as the different Power Attacks in KotOR. That said, just a regular "space-bar" jump needs to be included.

The power attack in KOTOR was ok, took me a while to figure out how to do it :D

I think there should be a jump, I enjoyed the one in Jedi Outcast/Academy.

It might matter on the engine though?:confused:

It might matter on the engine though?:confused:

HeroEngine should be more than able to handle jumping. It has a falling and landing mechanic built in, and jumping is either also built in or could be easily coded in. Out of all things they will need the character to do, jumping would be one of the easier to program.

Jedi Academy style jumping would definitely be cool, but may also end up be game breaking.

^I'm not a cartographer, but I think you can jump using just your legs.

@Topic: I would seriously consider not playing the game if I couldn't jump, even if it had no purpose in gameplay.

I hope the developers are reading this!

"I get up, and nothing gets me down.

You got it tough. I've seen the toughest soul around.

And I know, baby, just how you feel.

You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real

Oh can't you see me standing here,

I've got my back against the record machine

I ain't the worst that you've seen.

Oh can't you see what I mean ?

Might as well jump. Jump!

Go ahead, jump.

Might as well jump. Jump!

Go ahead, jump. Jump!"

(guitar solo)

(keyboard solo)

I vote Yoda, but may switch to yes or no. If jumping is pretty much just an emote(appearance only with no use at all) then I don't see the need for it. Now, if special attacks or dodges can be applied while jumping, absolutely. In SWG and WoW jumping is pretty much visual only. It doesn't decrease the chance to hit or chance to dodge. It would be cool if they added in ie for jedi, You jump and a basic attack, you force jump to your target. Or for a ranged attacker(please let there be smugglers) you jump and attack and it does a critical attack with a higher chance to miss. Or you jump and dodge and it does a wicked cool jumping dodge effect that increases the chance for them to miss.

Yes! When jumping is not there it just feels like something is missing. When I played WoW, I would jump from time to time just to entertain myself. I currently play Guild Wars, which has no jumping. I still enjoy the game, but I would like it slightly more if I could jump.

I think TOR should have a basic jump that anyone and everyone can perform. Then as you get into Jedi and Sith they have force jumps and stuff. Possibly a "buff" skill and when it's on their basic jumps are converted into force jumps?

Archived