1. 1. Should Tor have jumping?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yoda

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as it's not too obnoxious.

Yeah, not being able to do an eight foot standing jump - it would be alright if it was like the GTA IV jump - a bit more 'real', like a standing jump of a few inches, or a longer and slightly higher running jump. Jedi/Sith are the obvious exceptions, though. I stil think a slight force point charge would at least make them less casual about jumping about randomly. That, or the ability to snipe them out of the air! :D

I think there should be jumping, but perhaps a cooldown to avoid bunny-hopping all over the place.

As someone who occasionally bunny-hops all over the place, I can say that the reason people do that is because traveling in the most direct route (which usually happens to be a straight line for a good portion of it) is boring. Pushing buttons is fun, so people naturally want to jump while doing little things.

In SWG and WoW jumping is pretty much visual only. It doesn't decrease the chance to hit or chance to dodge.

True for SWG, it is only a "cosmetic" jump. You see the animation, but in "physical terms", you don't really gain any height.

This is, however, not true for WoW. It is a usefull ability that can get you up on things that are otherwise in-accessable. This can give you an advantage if you are "climbing" up on higher ground for instance. Other uses are, you can run away from your enemy to stay out of range, jump, spin around 180 degrees mid-air, fire off one of your instance casts at him/her, and do another 180 before you land to continue away from your target. Doing this will not affect your speed and you can make pot shots at your pursuer.

This works best against melee dudes. :)

I hope there's sprinting, it'd be a pain in the butt to walk everywhere, jumping is nice too

You keep up with those sprints Mr. Bolt, I'll be riding my swoop bike right here. :shades2:

/they see me flyin'

they hatin'

patrollin'

they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty.

//there are going to be swoop bikes, right

• 2 weeks later...

I always felt that jumping was a serious lack of interactivity in a game. Even if it's useless, I think it should be there. Characters need motion. I think the entire world should be interactive with jumping. In Kotor, for example, running into an object made you become stuck, and movement was not easily done. In this game I think you should be able to jump onto any object you'd like, within reason, of course.

Jumping is one of those odd things that just feels missing when it's not there.

There doesn't have to be a need for it in TOR, as our skills could have the jump involved such as the different Power Attacks in KotOR. That said, just a regular "space-bar" jump needs to be included.

QFT

Couldn't have said it better, so I won't try. ;)

As long as they don't do a SWG style of jumping that has absoultely no use. Like not being able to jump over small pebbles due to their infinitly high invisible walls.

I like the WoW jumping. gives you something to do at summoning stones, and also expressing yourself in the form of interpretive dance.

• 2 weeks later...
As long as they don't do a SWG style of jumping that has absoultely no use. Like not being able to jump over small pebbles due to their infinitly high invisible walls.

Actually, unless they changed it after I left, the reason you couldn't jump over, as I explaind earlier, was because you weren't actually jumping. It was just an animation making it look like you were jumping, but in "reality" you never left the ground. :)

If the bounty hunter's can fly then I think its more than likely jump will be in there.

Bioware has been talking a lot of how they want the player to be as involved as possible, without jumping I'd feel quite separated from the environment - and exploration is one of the things I personally enjoy about MMO's, and any other game for that matter.

Of course we should, Being a Jedi or a Sith without being able to force jump would suck.

Indeed. In fact, I can't imagine a Jedi/Sith not being able to jump.. would seem rather.. lacking imo considering all the flips and such you see in the movies.

Archived