Home

ScummVM 13-- 7th Guest Support!

Capn_Nacho

Dudes!

ScummVM 0.13.0 has support for THE 7TH GUEST! It may mostly be nostalgia talking, but T7G is seriously one of my favorite non-Lucas games ever. When I grab my discs in a few hours I am going to be all over replaying this one.

Does anyone else feel the way I do about this game? I know the puzzles are stilted, the script is broken, the production isn't what it used to be, and the acting never was, but to me it's a total classic.

(Wait, I didn't post this in the right place, did I?)

The 7th Guest is definitely a classic. I can't argue with any of Capn_Nacho's points BUT if you can look past it's age and a few irritating design choices you'll have a blast.

I never finished it back in the day (I got up into the attic but could never complete the puzzle with the lights in the windows) so this is just the excuse I need to get it out again.

Ahh, neon_git, the secret to that puzzle (as I understand it) is to keep trying, over and over and over. I don't think there's any real internal logic to it, just trial and lots and lots of error. There's only one solution, which is just one of those irritating design decisions you mentioned.

And Gabez, nah, you didn't really miss out all that badly. The game is novel in that it's one of the very first CD-ROM dependent games (alongside MYST) and it really pushed CD-ROM sales when it came out. The game is campy, but I guess kind of spooky, and is one of those games where the puzzles have nothing at all to actually do with the story (they're just chess pieces and mazes and card challenges and word puzzles randomly scattered about a mansion.) Can't imagine the game would be very compelling to a first-time player today.

As Nacho says, 7th Guest (and Rebel Assault!) were flagship CD Rom games. Rebel Assault was why I bought my first CD Rom drive in about 1994. Creative Labs, single speed (used a caddy to transport the CD), and cost about $1000.

Those were the days!

I've got two sets of CDs for it, haha. The game was pretty ubiquitous at the time, especially since it came bundled with a lot of CD-ROM drives, and it isn't very hard to find now.

Anyway, I've just now got it all set up on both my PC and PSP. The PC version is great, though the MIDI instruments don't work quite right (an issue acknowledged by the team.) The PSP build, though, is pretty unplayable, though I can hardly expect them to just magically get it up and running.

Alas, I've midterms to contend with and have had no time to play. Yeah, I remember how hard that bishop puzzle in the game room is. I get frustrated with 7th Guest and 11th Hour for how many of their puzzles involve chess, because I've always been just awful at it.

Archived