Home

Helping murph make a wish, err, book list

mur'phon

So, with my birthday and the realization that sending big things to the middle of nowere is insane happening at about the same time, I have decided that any presents for yours truly will have to be light. So, since other suitable gifts would be either A:ridicolusly expensive, or B: leave border guards suspicious/laughing, it means books. Trouble is, I can't think of any suitable ones, which is were you guys come in. So, to give you an idea of what kinds I would like.

Preferably non fiction (exeptions given to fiction with a kick such as 1984).

If it's about moral/religious issues, I'd prefer those with a kantian/religious view.

If about economic issues, I'd prefer them to argue for the left, though any book using the altruist nature/goodness of man as the main argument will be burned (a book that argues why man is "good" would on the other hand be welceome:))

As for any about other serious business (like poverty, Thailands king, etc), I don't care much about which bias they have.

Any sugestions helping me fill my wish list is most apreciated.

manga.

nothing more suspicious looking at in the public eye in the us, cus it honestly people just read em by themselves or if they do that is public, they're either kids, or weirder then I am. And i'm pretty weird, just ask Lynk or cracken. but cracken is just about as nuts as i am, so he might think i'm (i dare say it) "Normal"

as for the laughter part, thats an easy tie-in, more likely there would be some of that, prolly at you.

but not to get me wrong, i'd like to get myself some more manga, maybe today. but meh.

if thats no good, prolly the book that asks the question that has a particular answer.

*takes a bow*

Can't think of any that match your criteria immediately, but I I would suggest the Last and First Men which I read a couple months ago, author's Olaf Stapledon.

It's actually fiction, but written in a non-fiction style. Describes the "history" of the human race; or rather, the 18 iterations of the human race over millions of years. May sound like kinda boring drivel most of the time, but it's still a very interesting book. If anything, it gives you a sense of how insignificantly small you are in time and space.

If anything, it gives you a sense of how insignificantly small you are in time and space.

I don't need a book to tell me that, I just look down my trousers.

Too easy.

I've always found the bible to be quite a novelty read if it helps.

And if you're a left-man, learning the lyrics to Peaches can cause quite a giggle at any marxist do.

I've always found the bible to be quite a novelty read if it helps.

Oh yeah, that's a killer no matter how many times you read it.

Which reminds me, may be a good idea to look into religious texts, preferably ones you may not be too familiar with, such as Buddhism, Taoism or Hinduism.

Archived