Home

Is it not cool?

TSR

So on my way home this afternoon, I decided I'd drop in my local CEX and see what games i could pick up to try and combat the nothingness that I had planned for the rest of the day. Browsing around, I sadly see that all the 360 games are either already in my possession or are not sold for a reason. Then I spy a right little gem. The Classic xbox games section. Score.

Off I toddle, and within seconds I spy our faithful friend, KOTOR 1. Played and completed multiple times many moons ago, but hell, it's almost retro gaming now. Feeling quite happy with my find, I do the British thing and find a till that has a queue and wait to pay this scruffy young man behind the counter my hard earned money.

Wahey, it's my turn. And this gentleman behind the till, whom I can't recall his name and so for the purpose of this thread shall be referred to as "Bernard", looks at my hard found trophy i have placed on his desk. He looks at me and says "dude, you still have an xbox classic? That's sad man"

The cheek of it.

Now this man had no idea of my situation and/or plans yet dared to pass judgement on me.

I know this isn't an amazingly important event, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else has bought something from a shop/friend/street urchin and been pre-judged in such a way as to cause offence. Where in these peoples contracts does it give them the right to be such basta**s?

At least the original Xbox doesn't inevitably fry itself.

Oh, and I learned long ago not to buy games from electronic retailers, especially GameStop in the US, mainly due to the bastardly ways of its staff.

Amazon.com should be everyone's best friend.

At least the original Xbox doesn't inevitably fry itself.

QFT. "Bastardly ways" :lol: Thats why I buy my games online.

Eh, I have never had a problem with electronics before but I've been judged while shopping. I once bought a bracelet for my friend (a girl) and was told by the laughing cashier "Dude, thats a girl bracelet. (As if I didn't know that seeing as I it in the women's jewelry section.) :dozey: It's not for me you freak...what a moron...no social skills whatsoever.

That and those annoying people at the movie theater who always hold my money up to the light to see if it's real. I wouldn't mind if it was once or twice but this is every single time...maybe I'll just pay them in nickels and pennies. :xp:

~HOP

The game stores I've been to either don't care what I'm buying or are actively trying to sell me something to me (which means being friendly). Maybe you guys have just had some bad luck with customer service? The staff at the Gamestop closest to me have always been quite nice.

I know this isn't an amazingly important event, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else has bought something from a shop/friend/street urchin and been pre-judged in such a way as to cause offence. Where in these peoples contracts does it give them the right to be such basta**s?

It hasn't happened before...when I actually bought Medieval 2 Total War gold recently (old game as well) the shop assistant actually said it was a good deal and he had bought it himself too.

But still, if it would happen to me I wouldn't care, because if making fun of other one's game choices is...really, really sad. Fail in life comes to mind.

Plus, the man in your case might have been misinformed. I wouldn't call a former game of the year sad.

I've often had strange looks when buying older games - but for years I had a computer that would never have been able to play them - so when I caught up they were under £10.

I've never had anyone say anything about what I've bought, other than 'are you sure this will work on your PC?'.

The game stores I've been to either don't care what I'm buying or are actively trying to sell me something to me (which means being friendly). Maybe you guys have just had some bad luck with customer service? The staff at the Gamestop closest to me have always been quite nice.
There's around three different GameStops in my area, and all three are staffed by overall unsavory personnel. Maybe there's some sort of regional standard they all follow, or maybe it's just the climate, I don't know.

One thing that really sticks out is that they all seem to have a 360, and the only thing they know that exists is the 360. Try buying a DS game, and you'll get the usual "lol ds wtf is that?" retort.

Interestingly enough, Samuel, it is the same in this part of PA.

_EW_

Try buying tampons for a girlfriend. Yeah, it's ridiculous.

Hubby's bought some for me a few times--they just scan the box and toss it in the pile of other items and groceries and never gave him a hard time. I suppose having the wedding ring on one hand helps--"Oh, he has a wife--ok".

Try buying condoms, especially if you're permanently 29. The guy blushed when he scanned them and gave me the 'I didn't know people your age have sex' look. Apparently after age 25 one is supposed to become celibate. I almost said to him "I like to keep my husband _very happy_, thank you very much, and I'll see you in a few days when we run out again," just to see how red I could make him, but I decided he was suffering enough.

The times I've gone into Gamestops in WI, the staff has been very pleasant and helpful.

i'm actually good friends with a Gamestop manager, and when a new game comes out that i want very, very badly, i always give him a call to make sure that he's holding a copy for me (no need to spend money on a preorder). when i get there, i end up just talking to him for about an hour or so about various things, and its not uncommon for the other employees to join in (since we usually talk about games) when they're not busy.

so, i can honestly say that i've never had a bad experience at Gamestop. :)

and if you want embarrassing, then you should have been in my situation when my mom found out that i was going out and asked me to get everything on her shopping list. then, you discover *at the store* that she has condoms, lube, and tampons on the list. :eyeraise:

for the record, she did that on purpose as a rather cruel joke to see if i would actually pick them up for her or not.

Where I live, the staff at Gamestop have always been very considerate and helpful... And they check things like whether or not the game disk is in good condition before you buy it, they give personnal reveiws of games, and if they don't have a game, they try their best to find a copy of it available elsewhere.

Wow, that is sad, yet not surprising.

Anyhoo, I go to a "used only" store that will buy/sale/trade games from any system, and in most cases, 'doubles' the amount of credit or cash (whichever you may choose) a Gamestop would offer you. To top that off the guys that work there are real nice. So, I usually don't have that problem.

then, you discover *at the store* that she has condoms, lube, and tampons on the list. :eyeraise:

for the record, she did that on purpose as a rather cruel joke to see if i would actually pick them up for her or not.

Oh, for a second there I thought your mom either is, or was married to Richard Dean Anderson... but then I noticed that the list was missing paperclips, rubber bands and duct tape.

Oh, for a second there I thought your mom either is, or was married to Richard Dean Anderson... but then I noticed that the list was missing paperclips, rubber bands and duct tape.

Ah....youthfull innocence! :xp:

Anyways, I do recognise Jae's case, but the opposite way. When I buy liqor or condoms and 'other stuff' people tend to give me a look or ask for an ID (in the first case), because I look really young for my age. I'm 20 in a few months but I still had to show my ID a few months ago when I wanted to buy some beer (which is 16+ over here). The girl at the counter got red as well....but instead of torturing her any further (like Jae...how could you!) I gave her a smile and took off.

But still...it's not cool... :(

Archived