Home

Blue Dongs and Nuclear Annihilation

coupes.

Watchmen_banner.jpg

First off, if you don't know what Watchmen is, here's a link to the Wikipedia page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

For the lazy, Watchmen is basically one of the best, most critically acclaimed and celebrated graphic novel of all time. If you haven't read it, I strongly suggest you do. Now.

Now, I'm sure a lot of us here have had the chance to read it, and most of you are probably aware that Zack Snyder (300) is currently directing a film adaptation of the novel, to be released on March 6th of next year. You probably also saw the teaser if you saw The Dark Knight this summer, or the new trailer if you saw Quantum of Solace recently. If not here are the links to the trailers :

Teaser

Trailer

Basically, this thread is to discuss the book, the movie and everything in between. There is a lot of hype surrounding this movie, hopefully it can deliver...

Please use proper spoiler tags if necessary, we wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone...

Watchmen is my favourite graphic novel, just slightly ahead of The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones. If they muck up this film, I will be sourly pissed off. From what I've seen so far, it looks like it will be okay. Dr. Manhattan is shaping up nicely, but I'm just afraid they won't capture the feel of the book. So many books have lost something in their transition from book to film. Hitchhiker's Guide and Da Vinci Code are two very good examples. But I still have hope, Sin City and 300 translated very well, so fingers crossed that Zack Snyder does a good job.

The novel was good. I liked it. I'm usually not a fan of gritty, existential things, or graphic novels in general, but I enjoyed it nonetheless (being the only comic book I've ever finished, or read more than one of). The movie looks like it'll be pretty entertaining, and it looks faithful enough to me.

Some things did bother me, like Rorschach's voice, which just sounded kinda dumb, and Zack Snider's trademark "lets make the entire movie in slow motion" effect.

I tended to like the trailers a lot better when they were playing that Smashing Pumpkins song. Seriously, they should just loop that song over the entire movie.

• 3 months later...

How is there not a Watchmen thread? I figured there would have been one full of comic nerds.

Phreak fails at reading search results.

I saw it earlier today, and thought it was cool. Pretty graphics and all that. The blue dongs to boobs ratio was a bit off (needs more boobs). Other than that, pretty sweet flick. Rorschach is one hardcore mofo.

Now I need to go read the comic.

I imagine that when God, alone in the throne of omniscience, created the universe and mankind, he had never imagined that the phrase, "the blue dongs to boobs ratio was a bit off," was ever going to be written down in any language.

I'm not even sure what that means. Why are there dongs in that movie? And why are they blue?

And Aves, since he's 18 and you're 16, isn't that a bit illegal now? As in, statutory rape illegal?

I finished reading the novel minutes before the movie started. :p I enjoyed it very much, thought it was a good adaptation though there were a couple changes I didn't get, they were not major though.

Rorschach taking a butcher knife to the guy's head instead of lighting the place on fire and giving him a saw to presumably cut his hands off to get out of the cuffs, young Kovacs biting the guy instead of blinding him with his cig, though I noticed that besides the Comedian, the movie moved away from smoking, seemed like none of the characters who smoked in the novel did in the movie aside from Comedian.

Didn't care for Nite Owl's costume, thought it looked much too modern and nothing at all resembling an owl. The one from the novel looks much more cheesy but it actually looks like an owl and would have fit the time period better. Also thought that if you hadn't read the novel it might be a little hard to follow at the beginning and maybe seemed to start slow, but since I had read it I was fine with how it went.

This movie, was...odd. I say that, because I've never read any of the comics. The cinematography was excellent, IMO, as were all special effects. Most of the acting was stellar too (I really didn't think the gal who played Silk Spectre II did a great job acting...but again, I never read the comics...maybe she's supposed to act like...that).

And yes, there were far many too blue dongs. My friend commented how Dr. Manhattan miraculously had underpants on when he was giant-sized. They probably didn't want a screen-sized blue ding-dong on the screen. Makes perfect sense. Minimal boobs though, yes, was disappointing.

And while I'm a hardcore liberal, I found myself identifying most with Rorschach - not into his black-and-white mentality, but I thoroughly enjoyed his attitude towards how criminals should be treated. I guess it fits in well, since I'm pro-capital punishment.

And Tyrion, it's only rape at this point if she doesn't consent - 16 is the age of consent in many states (including mine) - each state differs - I believe one is at 15. She is in my state (Ohio), so it's not rape by state law. Unless she wants to make it so. Then, her boyfriend is screwed. She has a lot of power she's holding there, quite a bit of potential for abuse. He better not make her angry until she's 18, LOL.

- PR-0927

I've never read any of the comics.

Yay! some else who sees them for what they are! People only say graphic novel to sound cool. It is still a comic book, get over it and admit you read comics.

Haven't seen the film yet so can't comment further.

Yay! some else who sees them for what they are! People only say graphic novel to sound cool. It is still a comic book, get over it and admit you read comics.

Haven't seen the film yet so can't comment further.

No, people don't call them graphic novel's to sound cool, they call them that because that is what they are called. And what the hell is wrong with reading comics anyway? Does it make someone a lesser lifeform or something? I think it's you who needs to get over it.

No, people don't call them graphic novel's to sound cool, they call them that because that is what they are called. And what the hell is wrong with reading comics anyway? Does it make someone a lesser lifeform or something? I think it's you who needs to get over it.

No, it's for people who aren't smart enough to read word books and need a bunch of illustrations lest they lose attention. It's like a Dr. Seuss or Roald Dhal book, but with waaaay more pictures. Graphic novels are just novels for stupids. STUPIDS!

...srly

Nah, I liek comics (the comic kind and the graphic novel kind) and some manga. I've gotten around half way through Watchmen and found it very mature and enjoyable. Though I just haven't gotten around to reading the rest of it, yet... I may wait for the DVD, though. I'm a little indecisive.

I was told that I shouldn't watch the film until I finish the graphic novel because plot twists and the like are somewhat "rushed" by the film and I will enjoy them more if I go through reading it first.

Can anyone else comment on this? I really want to watch this film, but I think the story itself is more important to me than the entertainment value of seeing it on the big screen, you know?

I was told that I shouldn't watch the film until I finish the graphic novel because plot twists and the like are somewhat "rushed" by the film and I will enjoy them more if I go through reading it first.

Can anyone else comment on this? I really want to watch this film, but I think the story itself is more important to me than the entertainment value of seeing it on the big screen, you know?

I think that is fair to say. I think I enjoyed the film more having already read the novel than I would have if I hadn't read it. Seemed to start out slow if you didn't know what was going on.

Archived