Home

Atheists are subjected to discrimation?

GarfieldJL

The thing is, whether Tommycat had a source or not is irrelevant. The data are not available for us to look at. Indeed, I'm highly skeptical of the claim that atheists drop out of school at a higher rate than the superstitious. At the very least, correlation doesn't imply causation and other considerations might be controlled for if the data were available, like were the "atheists" from traditionally religious or irreligious homes; economic status; ethnicity; gender; etc.

The one source that Tommycat provided was a tertiary source that used the General Social Survey to show a trend of conservative/liberal men/women. The trends shown claimed to be IQ but the methodology is questionable since it relied upon several vocabulary questions rather than an actual test instrument designed to gauge a g factor. The variables used were WORDSUM and POLTVIEW if anyone bothered to track down the survey and do it themselves.

But, and more importantly, the survey was not relevant to the current topic nor the subtopic in the other thread which correlated cognitive function to conservativism since the tables at the tertiary source evaluate conservative males vs. conservative females and liberal males vs. liberal females. There was no comparison between conservative to liberal that I saw (though I would need to go back and look again). Even if there were, the GSS survey questions are not a valid or accepted instrument to gauge g factor. The CAT and the ASVAB are.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cute, but in my personal experience it's usually the atheists that start the baiting and insults, while the religious person ignores them. Then the atheists go a step further and the religious person finally complains publically.

If we're specifically talking Christianity, why is the Christian speaking out at all? If we follow Jesus example, he was obedient to death, and was tortured to death. So a guy who (if your a Christian you believe...) had all the power in the universe didn't do anything but pray and speak love at those who were killing him; none of that involves complaining. Indeed much of the NT says Christians will suffer persecution; my 2 cents if, if you are fighting against persecution, then are you really being persecuted in the manner Jesus was? Please note the considerable different between debating (which Jesus and Paul did), and trying to silence those of a differing opinion, which often to me seems to be what quite a few religious individuals try and do.

As a Christian, I would observe that even in the UK which is an awful lot more secularist than the USA, it has been my far more common observation to see atheists getting attacked by the religious than vice-versa.

Furthermore perhaps the question needs to be asked as to why atheists are so hostile to say Christianity, which is a religion which preaches loving your neighbours; could shock horror, there be a reason?

Moving onto other area's I would observe it is also my experience that atheists tend to be the more intelligent. Certainly I would query a study saying atheists drop out at a higher rate than theists as to what the study's definition of atheism is. I've had people tell me they were atheists, and then tell me they believe in God :confused: Suffice to say, when such people say things, it doesn't much surprise me that they have dropped out of anything.

You didn't post up the IRS page if I recall, and that was my bad due to prior experience I've had with you.

AKA Garfield bias?

Again you didn't post the source if I remember correctly,

Seems you didn't remember correctly, seeing as Mimartin provided irrefutable forum evidence to the contrary.

And what I remember from my business law class contradicted some of what you claimed, so at the time since you had no sources posted I was going to rely on my knowledge of the topic.

read: I was speaking out of my ass instead of researching my points.

I'd like to know what college all these law classes are coming out of :dozey:

_EW_

AKA Garfield bias?

I've never denied that I had a bias, that tends to be you guys...

Seems you didn't remember correctly, seeing as Mimartin provided irrefutable forum evidence to the contrary.

Okay...

read: I was speaking out of my ass instead of researching my points.

That would be like you...

I'd like to know what college all these law classes are coming out of :dozey:

Different states have different laws, ever stop and consider that...

@Garfield: Please don't defend my source. Since it is not available it is not a fair source. If I cannot verify the veracity of the claim, then it really cannot be determined to be valid. I'm just tired of looking for it. I know I saw it. I know what it said. But it isn't fair to claim it is valid without them being able to see it for themselves. If I could remember what I had searched for that led me to 20-30 links to the same study, it would be much easier. They could look at it and pick it apart as we can to their sources. I'm just fed up with the whole "My source is better than your source" BS that goes on in here. So in essence I just said "F" it. I'm tired of playing. Their concern is valid.

I really wish I could find it again. It seemed a pretty good source to me. Links to third party data collection, DOE sources, etc. It was when I tried to open one of the PDF's on that site that the browser crashed on me. I do my searches on my laptop before I copy the links to my work machine. Some sites are not allowed at work.

Different states have different laws, ever stop and consider that...

Hello, the IRS is a FEDERAL entity, i.e. the definition of gross and net applies across the entire US. The difference between FEDERAL and STATE law is a basic tenet in any business law class--you should have learned that the first day, if not the first week. You owe mimartin an apology for accusing him of lying when you're patently wrong about this issue.

I really wish I could find it again. It seemed a pretty good source to me. Links to third party data collection, DOE sources, etc. It was when I tried to open one of the PDF's on that site that the browser crashed on me. I do my searches on my laptop before I copy the links to my work machine. Some sites are not allowed at work.

I'm actually interested in the study's contents so I'll see about finding it myself in my off time. I'll link you it if I come across it.

Archived