Home

What makes Day of the Tentacle so amazing?

andygeers

I think you make a good point about the Tim Schafer system-tweaking, I never thought of the puzzles in those terms, but many of them do fit into that category: the system almost works, you just have to add that last touch to it.

BTW: Worst cowboy voice ever man.

Haha, is that an Australian cowboy? Either way, yes — better voice acting please. :~

Good article though, and some quality Schafer analysis going on there. You should make sure you submit some thoughts when the Grim Fandango Secret History article comes around.

Although I have to admit, compared to other Bible games an adventure game might actually be interesting-- if I were to make one I would cut wildly from one part to another (The game could be based off of the idea of opening the Bible to random pages and reading lines, maybe it could fit into the overall story), that way you could have like a micro-game setup (think warioware) except based on un-connected bible scenarios. And obviously you'd be solving puzzles and interacting instead of mashing buttons. That would be insane.

Nice article, though I think you're a bit wrongheaded in implying that the brilliance of the game's puzzles is single-handedly the work of Schafer, when the design was split right down the middle between he and the equally legendary Dave Grossman.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the relatively logical nature of DOTT's puzzles (one of its stronger suits compared with say, Hit the Road) was more Grossman's doing than Schafer's. I say that because if you look at Grossman's track record beyond the first two Monkey Islands and DOTT (such as: the early Humongous graphic adventures, Telltale's games), his games' puzzles tend to be a bit more reasonable and rooted in logic (albeit often a cartoony logic to suit the license).

Obviously, Tim is second to none as a designer/writer and a creative mind. I'm just saying. Full Throttle was a completable game without a walkthrough, but I think the puzzles felt easier because there were fewer of them and Schafer made (extremely wise) efforts toward streamlining gameplay, what with the generally smaller amount of inventory items and the inability to combine them. The actual mindset behind the puzzles though could get pretty insane at times. And some of the puzzles in Grim Fandango are pretty out there as well. Schafer deserves credit for DOTT - 50% of it, to be exact, but you can't leave out Grossman.

Welcome to the forums, andygeers!

I guess DOTT is just a very original and clever game. I should play it properly. :~

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Have you played it before? Another great thing about it is that it only really takes a couple of hours to play through once you know what you're doing, making it a great way to spend an evening.

Archived