Home

Strange Pop-Up Ad?

Strange Pop-Up Ad?

Each time a page loads, I get a pop-up advertising. Its asking me to log onto something. Help!

Hmm, haven't seen that. What site is the popup for? Have you clicked on any of the ad banners here or it's just popping up on its own? Have you scanned your computer for ad/malware recently?

Sometimes inappropriate or exceptionally irritating ads do get added to the rotation by the ad providers, but they usually get removed when requested.

Its a Twitter login. My boss had me rebuild the whole system. We are running a security check on all servers now. It looks similar to a phishing scam, but we are making sure no one has broken through the firewall.

Edit --

Its some sort of Twitter API. I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't understand why this is happening.

The server twitter.com at Twitter API requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)

Edit --

The problem seemed to have gone away. Thank you. :)

Its a Twitter login. My boss had me rebuild the whole system. We are running a security check on all servers now. It looks similar to a phishing scam, but we are making sure no one has broken through the firewall.

Edit --

Its some sort of Twitter API. I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't understand why this is happening.

I was testing some twitter api integration. The code should have been transparent to users. I think I found what I was looking for though and have removed the code for the time being.

Also, you work in an office? I thought you were an author? And your boss lets you view gaming forums at work? Incredible deal.

I was testing some twitter api integration. The code should have been transparent to users. I think I found what I was looking for though and have removed the code for the time being.

Also, you work in an office? I thought you were an author? And your boss lets you view gaming forums at work? Incredible deal.

No. I work for a government contractor. My author work was only a quick hobby. I have two actual jobs. One full-time and one part-time. We get to do alot of neat little things. :)

Someone just went through the office on a scooter. :)

No. I work for a government contractor. My author work was only a quick hobby. I have two actual jobs. One full-time and one part-time. We get to do alot of neat little things. :)

Someone just went through the office on a scooter. :)

Oh, ok. You're posting from a residential ISP so I thought you might just be pulling our chains. :)

Oh, ok. You're posting from a residential ISP so I thought you might just be pulling our chains. :)

Thats what I get for having a rotating IP. Perks from working with the bigger fish. Jealous? :)

Edit --

I did a online check of my ip, and those maps and locations are way - way off. They do pick up the service we are using, but most of the information is false. Depending on which online site you use, it shows my ip coming for four different locations. Two locations are in one state, and the other two are scattered around the US.

It doesn't mater if you believe me or not. What is important is that the company I work for is doing their job. I'm still safe from you.

Well Jae, it's obvious you sneaky star wars forum administrators want to overthrow the government in a bid at universal domination, starting with all major imaginary corporations.

Silly, silly Jae. You have been foiled.

And I think it's hilarious that Yar-el seems to know all this technical jargon and super-duper computer stuff, but can't get rid of a pop-up. Juice by you.

Thats what I get for having a rotating IP. Perks from working with the bigger fish. Jealous? :)

Edit --

I did a online check of my ip, and those maps and locations are way - way off. They do pick up the service we are using, but most of the information is false. Depending on which online site you use, it shows my ip coming for four different locations. Two locations are in one state, and the other two are scattered around the US.

It doesn't mater if you believe me or not. What is important is that the company I work for is doing their job. I'm still safe from you.

One of my vocations in life, is as an IT technition, and the above ignores the following as I understand it... Though matt-- and Stoffe are far more familiar with such things than me.

IP address allocation is performed by IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). IANA then gives authority to RIRs (Regional Internet Registries). Then RIRs will also pass on responsibility, depending on their own particular regional policies, and tend to set blocks of IP addresses to their customers, which include Internet Service Providers (ISPs).

Each of the RIRs handles a specific geographic area:

The most used are; ARIN (North America)

and RIPE (Europe, Middle East, Central Asia).

So if you lookup an IP address; the different regional authorities allow lookups to be to that data. The varying ISP's generally block their blocks of IP addresses by region. The lookup will give the name and address of the organization the block of IP addresses are given too. The ISP's can re-name these blocks if they wish to do so. The naming will often be after a particular geographic place, for example, Lon-UK, aka London, United Kingdom.

As such while IP checks can be off, I have never found them to ever vary so much as giving lots of different locations, they definatly don't get the wrong country or state, More-over I don't see how an ISP check could reveal a 'false' result.

I'm sorry, are you referring to a dynamic ip address? That's a trait of residential ISPs. Most medium to big sized fish have static ips.

Edit --

That's weird. Every IP your account has ever posted with (129 IPs) has come from the same residential ISP, and in every instance where regional data was available (all but 13 IPs), it came from the same region/city. I guess all your jobs have the same provider.

Ok, but I never threatened you. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

I'm still safe from you.

Ohohoho, no.

Your military tactics on Dxun are well known. Rumors of your disappearance have become exaggerated I see... Something dark is nearby!

Control, this is the Dark Apprentice. Aldiborontiphoscophornio rearrived from North Armorica and the scraggy isthmus. Condition riverrun. Activate Project Nemesis. I repeat, activate Project Nemesis. Macleod and out.

One of my vocations in life, is as an IT technition, and the above ignores the following as I understand it... Though matt-- and Stoffe are far more familiar with such things than me.

IP address allocation is performed by IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). IANA then gives authority to RIRs (Regional Internet Registries). Then RIRs will also pass on responsibility, depending on their own particular regional policies, and tend to set blocks of IP addresses to their customers, which include Internet Service Providers (ISPs).

Each of the RIRs handles a specific geographic area:

The most used are; ARIN (North America)

and RIPE (Europe, Middle East, Central Asia).

So if you lookup an IP address; the different regional authorities allow lookups to be to that data. The varying ISP's generally block their blocks of IP addresses by region. The lookup will give the name and address of the organization the block of IP addresses are given too. The ISP's can re-name these blocks if they wish to do so. The naming will often be after a particular geographic place, for example, Lon-UK, aka London, United Kingdom.

As such while IP checks can be off, I have never found them to ever vary so much as giving lots of different locations, they definatly don't get the wrong country or state, More-over I don't see how an ISP check could reveal a 'false' result.

I'm sorry j7, but I think I'm going to need to ask you to Source all that information. I mean, you could very well be making all that stuff up. Next you'll be telling us you wrote a book eight years ago on the symbolism of this stuff. But without giving us a Source, I don't think we can believe you. Having a verified and vetted Source is everything today, especially on the Internet.

Or, you could be just fooling us. Lol... Lol... Lol...

Mat-- is the one who tried to pull off a phishing scheme to steal your screen names and passwords. I'm calling it as I see it. I wonder what hes going to do with that information. Who says I should trust him. He is the one exploiting people, and allowing them to use double standards - thus, alienating groups of individuals. He is the one who is stealing private information. Not me.

I have nothing to loose from this, nor do I have anything to gain. He does.

He is a complete stranger to me. Why should I trust him?

He's a sysadmin. He has access to every single screen name on the boards here (everyone here does via the 'search for users' function). He can get into any account at any time, just like I can access any account on my family forum because I'm sysadmin for that forum.

The owners own this forum--nothing on it is yours or mine. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want. I'm not sure what you're complaining about since you knew this when you agreed to the TOS.

He's a sysadmin. He has access to every single screen name on the boards here (everyone here does via the 'search for users' function). He can get into any account at any time, just like I can access any account on my family forum because I'm sysadmin for that forum.

The owners own this forum--nothing on it is yours or mine. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want. I'm not sure what you're complaining about since you knew this when you agreed to the TOS.

:argh: Read the top if this thread, and start working your way down. He is try to grab your Twitter screen names and passwords. Why?

:argh: Read the top if this thread, and start working your way down. He is try to grab your Twitter screen names and passwords. Why?

Or you could just be someone who suffers from Paranoia and is trying to deflect attention from the fact that you've been caught out with regards your rather silly statements about IP addresses (and fictitious ways in which they work).

I leave others who read this thread to draw their own conclusions.

Mat-- is the one who tried to pull off a phishing scheme to steal your screen names and passwords. I'm calling it as I see it. I wonder what hes going to do with that information. Who says I should trust him. He is the one exploiting people, and allowing them to use double standards - thus, alienating groups of individuals. He is the one who is stealing private information. Not me.

That's a very serious accusation to be making, some actual, solid proof would be greatly appreciated, especially when i've never encountered any pop-ups or phishing scams from LF.

I have nothing to loose from this, nor do I have anything to gain.

Attention, maybe?

Archived