Home

Threat of Peace, Issue #2

jrrtoken

Well, it's not the fastest-advancing story ever, but intriguing nonetheless.

However,

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Yet more evidence of draws for those more casually acquainted with the universe - the Republic armour. It is almost indistinguishable from the Clone armour. Whatever happened to the nice red/black/yellow helmet and armour? That was far nicer...But, yes some of the Sith artwork so far looks good.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Well, if you saw the guy's helmet it was completely different. I guess that was the difference right there. It's a wonder that he didn't put it on when the fighting started, though.

Personally, I like the similarity. It shows that the inspiration for the Clone Trooper armor may have been a combination of this ancient Republic armor with a Mandalorian-inspired helmet design.

So far so good, I say. I'm quite enjoying this.

Did anyone hear about the upcoming The Old Republic novel to be released around the time the game is released?

Not bad. What really confuses me is that Clone Armour was already existing in this era. I miss the Old Republic Sith and Republic uniforms, those were pretty cool.
It doesn't confuse me. Just annoys me. If we go by these pictures, the Clone Armor didn't change that much in 3,000 years, while Sith Trooper Armor from the KotOR's lasted perhaps 50 years or so. But it annoys me even more that the armor is just designed like that to appeal to the Clone Wars fans, to make it recognizable to everyone, instead of keeping to the Era.

It doesn't confuse me. Just annoys me. If we go by these pictures, the Clone Armor didn't change that much in 3,000 years, while Sith Trooper Armor from the KotOR's lasted perhaps 50 years or so. But it annoys me even more that the armor is just designed like that to appeal to the Clone Wars fans, to make it recognizable to everyone, instead of keeping to the Era.

This is my problem precisely with the artwork. In that sense it doesn't really bode well for an entirely original experience that is not catered to the casual fan.

I've said more than enough about it on the official forums but... the lack of creativity in this comic is all to clear. The old Republic is my favorite era for every reason not shown in this comic. I dont care what people say but that is EXACT replica Clone Armor minus a slight difference in the helm maybe... and regardless of Mandalorian influence on said armor at certain points in the continuity it's drab, boring and done to death, and by making the army wear that... I feel Clone Wars the MMO comin on /rant

TSL was original, in my opinion...

I'm talking about this comic, not TSL. I see nothing original here, save for a few random minutiae in the storyline. They screwed up big time in the visual department here with rip-off Imperial uniforms, rip-off soldier armor on both sides, who knows what else in the future, not to mention the collection of one-liners they try to pass off as dialogue.

And most of what is sort of original is moronic, such as this whole treaty with the Sith thing. If I may quote someone else:

Are you ****ing kidding me? Did some one just write a Jedi saying; "We were fools to trust the Sith"? Have these people even heard of Star Wars before they got this job? "Yeah, our sworn enemy for thousands and thousands of years that has brought war to the galaxy at every opportunity, and brought the Jedi to the brink of extinction multiple times... sure, lets trust you. Lets sign a treaty... WHAT THE ****?! YOU TURNED ON US AND BROKE THE TREATY?!?! That is SO not like you!"

I'm talking about this comic, not TSL. I see nothing original here, save for a few random minutiae in the storyline. They screwed up big time in the visual department here with rip-off Imperial uniforms, rip-off soldier armor on both sides, who knows what else in the future, not to mention the collection of one-liners they try to pass off as dialogue.
You said Star Wars, I thought you were talking about Star Wars as a whole. My bad.

I agree with what you and adamqd said. The whole thing is painful to watch. I'm not complaining about the art, to be honest, only with the designs of the armor, like I said before. But the whole treaty between Jedi and Sith is indeed one of the most incomprehensible decisions by story writers in this universe. Normally, I'd wait to judge something until I've seen the whole picture, but I don't think there's anything here that can possibly justify this action.

I agree that the trooper armor is not very original and neither is the Sith Lord's armor which looks near identical to Malak. I'd much rather see the kind of Republic outfits we saw in KotOR than clones of...clones.

I've been discussing these points on the forum, and most of the arguments for the clone armor are reflective of the kind of players an MMO will draw.

with statements like "Stop bitchin adamqd! Maybe in the 1000 years since kotOR, there has been a boom in technology like WWII and things have stayed the same for the 12 years till the birth of Yoda? (BBY LOLZ)"

I'm losing faith brothers!

While the armor in the comic seems to be recycled (not surprised at all considering Star Wars comics borrow off of each other all the time), at least the game armor does not seem to be as much.

Still parallels between, but the armor in the game is just stylized enough to have a unique flavor. Still would have preferred the KOTOR 1 look, but I can take what they give me. It's still a step up from most MMO's.

But yes, whoever is writing this comic needs to get their head out of the sand.

Archived