Home

LucasArts Classics Covers

Gabez

I was inspired by something I saw on SomethingAwful recently (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/classy-video-games.php), about re-imagining classic video game covers along the lines of classic book cover brands (e.g. Penguin Classics, or Oxford World Classics, plus others) -- I was inspired to make some for LucasArts. There might be some LEC ones on Something Awful as well: I haven't gone through them all. But here are two I did:

somi.jpg

grim.jpg

The idea with Penguin Classics is that they often use "boring" images in order to highlight a particular aspect of the literature. So with SOMI I thought I'd focus on the title, and bring out the emptiness of Monkey Island, and also suggest some kind of mystery from "the secret." The image doesn't fit brilliantly, but it was the best I could do.

With Grim Fandango the black and white shows the death aspect, as well as the film noir inspiration. And the contrast between the flowers (happy) and the black and white (sad!) reflect the Fandango (happy!) and the Grim (sad!) in the title.

All very basic stuff. It's actually harder than it looks.

Anyone else want to do any? You don't have to follow Penguin Classics -- I just thought that was easier for me.

I used Arial and Times New Roman, which isn't exactly what Penguin uses, but close enough.

I really love that Zak Mckracken and Grim Fandango ones (never knew you could draw, Kroms!) The LucasArts adventures work well for this, because you can subscribe one "author" name to them quite easily.

The LucasArts adventures work well for this, because you can subscribe one "author" name to them quite easily.

Admittedly Sierra adventures would work just as well; their games as a rule had a project leader in a strong central creative role (as opposed to, say, the three-way Gilbert/Schafer/Grossman development of MI1).

These all look really great!

With Grim Fandango the black and white shows the death aspect, as well as the film noir inspiration. And the contrast between the flowers (happy) and the black and white (sad!) reflect the Fandango (happy!) and the Grim (sad!) in the title.

The flowers have some pretty clear direct significance in the game, as well. It works very nicely, though it isn't entirely distinct from some other Penguin Classics books I've seen, one of which I believe used the same kind of flower.

I love this kind of design-- specifically those which are designed after the first printings of these kinds of books from the thirties through sixties. Some really interesting, stark design choices always worth investigating. That SA thing had some really effective uses. I will try to do a Lucasarts one myself later.

I love your stuff Haggis. Everything has been great so far from everyone. Also: thanks Darth Moeller.

Gabez, thanks for the compliment. I actually don't like it too much so I want to re-draw it properly. Unfortunately it, Sam and Max, Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle are the only ones that really fit with a drawn cover, as opposed to a photo, so I'm going to do those, one a week I guess.

I love that Loom one, Gιygαs. I like the way that these covers exercise the imagination much more than traditional video game covers do (not that I'm bashing the originals which are fantastic in a very different way!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived