Home

.455 Caliber Revolver

ForeverNight

Hey, this is my first 'official' mod... The idea I had was to create a revolver, in this case a .455 caliber. Now that I've learned some things about ammunitiontypes.2da I might actually make the thing fire bullets instead of blaster bolts.

But, anyway, you're not here to hear me talk about how great I am, yada yada yada, you're here to see the pictures!

Unfortunately, I've created everything in Inventor and I'm going to have to convert everything into a .3ds/.max file and then import it into gmax to make it into a .mdl... and then pray to see how well my material type transfers over.

But, here's the pictures! (Put in

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
tags for size!)

[hidden]View4.png

Show spoiler
View3.png

Show spoiler
View2.png

Well, that's all there is to it right now... maybe I'm going to have to go through and edit ammotypes and weapontypes now... that's going to be 'fun'!

Unfortunately, I've created everything in Inventor and I'm going to have to convert everything into a .3ds/.max file and then import it into gmax to make it into a .mdl...

if you have 3dsMax and the NWMax version for 3ds, you can just plain export it out of 3ds.

And those guns are looking rather poly heavy. Do you have a poly counter in Inventor to check the poly count?

Nope, I only have access to 3ds through my school... not enough time -nor privliges.

As for the polies, I hope to be able to adjust it down when I do the first import into 3DS tomorrow and see how low I can get it while still looking okay. But I'm willing to be that it's very poly heavy... probably somewhere in the 15000-25000 range. Unfortunately there isn't one in Inventor... :headbump:

Like I said, I'm going to (try) and reduce the poly count when I import, since upon Import 3DS gives you a prompt on how 'dense' you want the model to be... Now, keep in mind, that 15000-25000 was only a guesstimate...

Well, DPs advice still stands, reduce it heavly.

Though DP doesn't follow his own advice it seems :xp:

Anyway 1000 polys is a nice number. A bit above isn't a crime.

On your materials... they might work in Max, but they won't work in Kotor or TSL.

You'll need to render them to a texture, you'll find that in Max, in the drop down list under Render.

Though... you talk about Gmax, it can't open Max files... so you'll have to export it out to a .obj or 3ds file or something, can't remember right now.

Not sure if that will do your model any good, all this exporting...

i couldn't remember if it was .3ds or .max, thanks for the clarification.

I don't think that all this exporting will do it that much good either, but I'm not willing to shell out the money for 3DS and I got a 13 month license of Inventor for free.

And, thanks for telling me about the textures, I didn't know either way, would've been frustrating to realize that they didn't work so I'll just blank everything when I import...

As for reducing it, I don't really see how I _can_ reduce it in Inventor, it's a CAD program and I don't want to have to go around and make every cylinder a octagon or whatever manually when I can rely on 3DS to do my dirty work and figure out what works...

Maybe I'm just being too lazy?

Anyway, thanks for the help/advice... God knows I'm going to need it soon for bullet hooks and the like soon...

...That or I could just read the tutorials... but that's too easy.

i couldn't remember if it was .3ds or .max, thanks for the clarification.

Ah, it will be .3ds then, most 3D programs can import that, including G-max.

Unless I'm wrong again... full of doubt lately :lol:

I don't think that all this exporting will do it that much good either, but I'm not willing to shell out the money for 3DS and I got a 13 month license of Inventor for free.

I know, most of these programs are expensive, there are ofcourse other ways to get them, but I can't discuss that... I think even mentioning this is

against the rules :-s

And, thanks for telling me about the textures, I didn't know either way, would've been frustrating to realize that they didn't work so I'll just blank everything when I import...

Well, using materials is ofcourse a bit easier, though those mats still need a UVW map to look that good.

Maybe I'm just being too lazy?

Anyway, thanks for the help/advice... God knows I'm going to need it soon for bullet hooks and the like soon...

...That or I could just read the tutorials... but that's too easy.

I think InryForge has a tutorial on the guns, I can't remember if I wrote one that handles guns. Hmm don't think so.

Else do a search on the forums, you'll find plenty of threads about this.

And don't be lazy, read and look for your info, it gets tiresome sometimes to keep repeating the same thing everytime. [/rant]

^Just meant as a joke.

Anyway, I've now imported into 3DS and, without any modifiers, it's at 5450 polys. I'm was going to bring it down to the 700 range... But 3DS only lets me bring it down to the 1122 range...

Damn it!

Anyway, I'll edit in the 3DS render later today...

^Just meant as a joke.

Well it wasn't at you personally, :p

:xp: Just got a bit more cranky, now and then.

Anyway, I've now imported into 3DS and, without any modifiers, it's at 5450 polys. I'm was going to bring it down to the 700 range... But 3DS only lets me bring it down to the 1122 range...

Damn it!

Anyway, I'll edit in the 3DS render later today...

I'dd say the 1122 is acceptable.

Its ofcourse good to go lower when its possible. ^_^

Though if this one of your first experiments in 3D, then don't get to fed up with the compition.

My first models sucked noodles and they've been deleted, formatted of :p

No proof that I ever was a noob at this :lol:

• 3 months later...

Alright, this isn't dead. I've just been having some problems with 3DS. Not only has my 30 day trial ran out (dammit!) but when I get it set up in 3DS and export with NWMax.... it doesn't show up in game. At all.

Then, when I open up 3DS or, now, gmax and get a look at the model, it's tiny. And I mean TINY! And oriented totally wrong!

If anybody would be willing to try to get the model to be the proper size in 3DS, gmax, or any like program please PM me. And, this project has changed from the crappy hairdryer-revolver -funny story behind that actually- to a Colt 1909 Single Army Action. I'll try to get my renders of the new model loaded onto photobucket and post them on here later.

Iff anybody has any ideas for the 3DS issues, please post them, I'm totally lost on what to do.

Archived