Home

And they say Obama and the Dems Care about our Veterans...

GarfieldJL

President Obama's plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service has infuriated veterans groups who say the government is morally obligated to pay for service-related medical care.

Cmdr. David K. Rehbein of the American Legion, the nation's largest veterans group, called the president's plan to raise $540 million from private insurers unreasonable, unworkable and immoral.

"This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate 'to care for him who shall have borne the battle,' given that the United States government sent members of the Armed Forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies," Rehbein said late Monday after a meeting with the president and administration officials at the Veterans Affairs Department.

"I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service-connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans," Rehbein said.

-- http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/17/vets-group-blasts-obama-plan-private-insurance-pay-service-related-health-care/

Another thing I'm not surprised about.

We can bailout corporations but not our own veterans?

"This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate 'to care for him who shall have borne the battle,' given that the United States government sent members of the Armed Forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies,"

That argument has no merit. That's like saying "Dell's laptops caused the fire, why should a fire insurance company pay for the damages?"

This is the Obama administration trying to be conservative of money and get the insurance companies to well, you know, insure.

Man that's bull****. The vets are more deserving than anyone else. It should not be like this. Now they'll get something but they will have to pay it back?

I thought benefits for veterans were part of the deal of 'payment for services rendered'? I guess everything can be reneged.

We can bailout corporations but not our own veterans?
Something is and has been wrong with this picture. We're powerless, it seems, to rectify this.

That argument has no merit. That's like saying "Dell's laptops caused the fire, why should a fire insurance company pay for the damages?"

The government made the deal to the vets. The government should honor it, no?

This is the Obama administration trying to be conservative of money and get the insurance companies to well, you know, insure.

Funny how context and semantics are relative. :dozey:

Well regardless of literal meaning of words, or of politics, one thing I think we can agree upon is that the vets deserve their benefits for their services done.

Hah. Good luck. Insurance (to my knowledge) doesn't have all the money you pay them because they have to invest it in some part. Least that's the description I've gotten as to how it works.

Looks to me it is just sluffing off its responsibilities of having to live up to its end of the bargain. What a load. Since the government is rearranging everything, maybe the deaths of a few companies will mean our vets will finally, for once, be reimbursed? Or since we are now into bailing everyone out, the insurance will take care of them and in turn we pay more back in taxes?

If anyone has some other idea how it will work, shoot.

Poor vets.

Archived