Home

Rock Band 1 and 2

Jae Onasi

Just play, play, play. Takes quite a bit of practice to get good, especially on the extremely fast and/or hard songs like Battery. x.x I would say the hardest curve is going from medium to hard since it adds in the 5th button. I try to always play on at least Hard now so that I don't get used to playing without that button.

But should be a lot of fun for you since the whole family will be playing. :D

Each of the four instruments have a different learning curve and different requirements for you to do well. I'll try and outline each.

Vocals is probably the hardest thing to do on anything other than Easy, I've found. You've got to be able to match the pitch of the singer's voice and on some of the harder songs like 'Psycho Killer' and 'Painkiller' it gets really, really hard to do. I rarely do vocals because I can't consistently match the pitch and the game kicks me in the ass for it, so the most I can do is wish you good luck on it. xD

Guitar is pretty fun to play, and the easier difficulties really help you get a feel for what you're doing. Once you know how to hit the notes properly by holding down the fret buttons and strumming, it's easy from there out. Get used to holding down the fret button before you strum. Learn to hit chords (multiple frets held down at the same time) consistently. On most songs the guitar will be the featured instrument, meaning you'll carry the bulk of the melody. Also on most songs guitar will have the opportunity to play a solo or two (or in the case of some songs, five) so do your best on these to get lots of extra points.

Bass is probably the easiest instrument to pick up. It's pretty much the same technique as guitar but it's not as demanding because it doesn't usually require you to play chords. In addition, it keeps the rhythm and beat of the song which is not as complex as the guitar melodies for the most part. Again, there are exceptions (<3 'Livin' on a Prayer' and 'The Trees'), but it is still the easiest one to play.

Drums requires you to have a sense of rhythm, no two ways about it. It is also the most physically demanding instrument of the bunch because you are actually moving your hands and feet like a real drummer. It requires you to have some sense of hand-foot coordination as well, since the bass pedal is an integral part of drumming in a good number of songs in the game. It many ways it is the hardest instrument for beginners to pick up, but once you get into the flow of the songs it can also be the most fun.

A few other things... Overdrive is a fun little function that lets you score more points via increasing the multiplier. Just hit the sequence of white notes and your overdrive meter (the orange bar behind the white/black circle in the middle) will build up. You have to tilt your guitars to use it, and hit the green note after the fill section when you're playing drums. It can also be used to save yourself or other bandmates if you're in danger of failing a song. You can also save other bandmates up to two times with it if they've failed out.

At the end of some songs, there will be a Big Rock Finish section, meaning you can just go nuts on whatever instrument you have to build up points during the fill section. At the end, you will have to hit a few more notes to complete the song; if all of you hit them, then you'll score all those points you built up. If even one of you misses, then the points are gone. So make sure you hit the notes at the end!

Have fun rocking out. :D

Also, careful not to get too excited and play it the whole night long. Neighbours surely know how to complain... and threaten.

And/or sprain your ankle playing drums. :D

I can't really give any advice beyond what Niner said, but Downloadable songs are your friend.

Well, then vocals will be right up my alley--I've sung in choirs for years and can hear and sing in tune pretty well. I have enough breath control to last as long as the end note on All Out of Love and beat out Amy Lee's final note on Bring Me to Life. If the game is fussy, though, then oh well, it'll be fun trying anyway. I think I'm going to pick up another guitar so all 4 of us can play at one time.

I wish they'd put In the Air Tonight (by Phil Collins) in the DLC--that'd be great for all drum lovers.

It can get pretty bloody, I can tell you that. :carms:

Pfft. Ask TiE what happened when I tried doing drums on ...And Justice for All. Hell, my dad couldn't walk for a week after a long stint on drums.

I am so totally not making this up.

Heh--last night my kids and I got enough stars that we were able to unlock--get this--a 1975 Econoline van. We bring the house down on Eye of the Tiger in Easy mode (or medium in my case on guitar). ;P

I need longer fingers for some of these chords. :D

My Bro and I would play it until the late hours of the night, those songs can get really hard!!!:D

You have no idea. Whenever one of my friends has a birthday, we go out to laser tag until they kick us out, then we head to my house to sing the Portal song (YES IT IS ON ROCK BAND) 'til about 7AM.

Pure.

Awesome.

You have no idea. Whenever one of my friends has a birthday, we go out to laser tag until they kick us out, then we head to my house to sing the Portal song (YES IT IS ON ROCK BAND) 'til about 7AM.

Pure.

Awesome.

Yeah, I know!:D The Portal Song!!! *That song is awesome:D*

Aperture Science....we do what we must because we can....

Totally awesome, man....:D

We're going to waste way too much time Saturday playing. :lol:

I'm just trying to master hitting 2 buttons at one time--not the easiest. I tried the 'freakin' hard guitar' tutorial and discovered I don't know jack. I'll have to work on that one more.

We unlocked Stockholm, which has Lacuna Coil's 'Our Truth' in the first venue. You'd think they'd put LC in Rome, what with them being an Italian band and all, but hey, it was cool. I got 98% on medium vocals as the very first song I've sung (I've been playing guitar the whole time), so I was a very happy camper.

I've yet to get the second one, is there a huge difference in the games?

The mechanics are unchanged, Harmonix knows better than to try and fix something that ain't broke. The only big change is that there is no single player exclusive career mode; you can play solo in the World Tour mode. In addition, your custom characters will be able to play any instrument, unlike in the first game.

I got 98% on medium vocals as the very first song I've sung (I've been playing guitar the whole time), so I was a very happy camper.

I can't get any higher than 90% on Medium, so that's way better than me. ;o

If you can get 98% on singing you must be pretty good. I can't sing for my life.

If you haven't found out already, guitar is probably the funnest out of all the instruments, either that or singing.

Some guitar songs are pretty hard, but they feel really cool when you can play it, especially amazing songs like Almost Easy or any song with good guitar lines.

Archived