Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be positive. The downloads will be saved. So the only thing we need to concentrate on is getting a host to hold all the files. Someone can have a site they pay for themselves to keep it up. But maybe it can also accept donations. Oh and have those ads that everytime somone visitits the ad you get paid on your site. Things to keep it up. Just brainstorming.

So guys the downloads are saved. And I know someone will step up, if its the former KFiles staff or whoever and there will be a place for the downloads again. So all in time.

I'm not clear about something though. Did I hear it right on this thread that something about distributing the mods during this time is okay? I thought that was prohibited and mods could only be distributed by the permission of the mod creator. But if you did say that's okay to do then there's a way to still get mods.

I'd like to have that cleared up please.

But also guys some of these downloads from KFiles were originally on the mod creator's sits. I'm not sure if there is a master list of all the community mod makers' sites, but that would be the place also to still get them from places that are still up. And yeah we'll get through this guys.

I've been in community's where this happens. What usually happens is the fans all unite and come up with a solution to the problem. And they will here too. No worries. And all those other downloads for the other games on filefront, I''m sure those community's are doing the same of backing up. In the long run we'll be just fine. In the short term will be some inconvenience. But again its short term, meaning this short term no KFiles like site is not forever.

This supposedly is a email sent to many staff members. Found here: http://www.everythingeaw.com/showthread.php?t=3207&page=3

Greetings all,

Well, as some of you already know and some that think it's still a joke, FileFront will be closing its doors for good on March 30th. All of the paid staff has been laid off (including myself) and all volunteers have been let go. Unfortunately, it seems to have been decided that the forums and network should be the first to go and before I was even able to create some announcement to inform my beloved community and volunteer staff of this event, they were taken offline or 'locked' so no further changes could be made to them. To call this unfortunate or frustrating is quite a bit of an understatement, not only to me, but especially to those I am currently unable to reach to inform them as to what's going on. I cannot imagine the confusion they must have about this and probably think its all some April Fool's joke. If only it were.

We found out yesterday that due to current economic conditions, Ziff Davis has made the call to suspend operations of the site at the end of March 30th. There isn't anyone at FileFront that knew this would happen. It was quite a shock to anyone that worked there. While we expected bad news (in this economy is there any other kind?) we certainly didn't expect that the site would be shut down for good. I certainly didn't expect the forums or network sites to be offline and unmanageable.

To the Network Staff:

I understand everyone's confusion and frustration. Hell, I share in these emotions with you. I do wish to say that it's been an honor working with every one of the volunteers, even you Skyrider. While there were days I just wanted to beat my head into the wall repeatedly from what I had to deal with, I'd do it all over again because I loved what I did. Remember that you guys are the real people that made the Network what it was and how successful it became. Keep that in mind and take pride in what you did.

To the Forum Staff:

Ah, my forum staff. I do not consider you simply volunteers of Ziff Davis that worked on the forums as those that just shut the site down do, no, I consider you guys and gals friends and family. I never had to worry about the forums, ever. I looked out for you and tried to treat you as though you were family as much as I could. I've tried requesting to get the forums database sent to me so I can continue on the community, however it seems that will not be the case. All of those posts will probably never see the light of day again. Just like the Network Staff, it's been my honor to work with each and every one of you on making one of the most popular game forums out there. Take pride that you were a part of it and helped mold it into what it was. At least we'll never have to worry about the white screen of death again though, right?

To the Admins Network/Forums:

You guys devoted more time on your respective areas then I ever did. I never lost sight of that and always had a level of respect that made me feel lucky to have you guys around. I don't think I could have ever accomplished things on my part without the strong devotion you shared in making File Front's community areas the best they could be. You did a damned fine job keeping the places up and running smoothly. I take pride in knowing that I was working with the best and always knew I could rely on you for advice and help whenever I asked for it. There's nothing I can say that really describes the thanks I wish to extend to you for all of your years of time and service, so I'll just say the words and hope you understand; Thank you.

To the Community:

I'm not sure I can write the proper words to show how much I cared for this community and what happened to it. 8 years of my life were devoted towards you all and I would never have had it any other way. You all made me happy to do the job I was doing. While I did have a work shift, when it came to the forums community, I always loved browsing it at all hours of the day. It was my job during the day, but at night, it was all about just being a member participating with everyone else. When I posted on the forums, my red username, title and status meant nothing to me at that point. I simply saw myself as a member of the community who wished to chat with other members of the community.

Last night I was being approached by many. There were some to offer condolences and some to find out what happened and some to offer places to re-ignite the community in a new place. I feel the same way they do, I want to get the community back up and running and, if Danny and Ronnie are reading this, please drop me a line and let's see if we can work something out. I'm sure we all have different goals in mind, but at the same time share in the feeling that we want our community back!

While writing this, I'm sure some of you will think it's a bit 'sappy'. I honestly don't care. I cared and respect the community and volunteers enough to write something from the heart. You all deserve it, not some cold statement written by lawyers who only wish to make it so they can't be sued for what is said. I wanted to show my gratitude for allowing me to be a part of the community and showing me the kind of dedication I've come to expect from those at FileFront.

Whenever/ if ever we are able to do a fresh start with the community, I would love to see each and every person that used it before to return.

To those that will be unable to come back, I'll miss you.

Thanks for everything!

Jeff 'n0e' Mills

jeff.mills@gmail.com

Former Community Manager, FileFront.com

EDIT: 3rd post: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2606203#post2606203

I remember when Kotor files first came up, still, nice to know that mods like the Brotherhood of Shadow, to the simplest of addons made by me, will be kept.

While I am trying to be optimistic by looking forward to more mods being made by my favorite modders, I hope that the new community site (wherever that may be) will be able to get back some of the traffic that Kotorfiles had.

Though within a few days google will start showing the new site at the top of its search engine list I'm willing to bet. Kotor modders (who don't already know about lucasforums), will want Kotor mods one way or another.

The only downside is, I don't know if all the old Admins from the network sites will move to the new one. (I could easily call myself JediShemL, though I'm not. I hope people on the new site can tell the new admins from people who are claiming to be the old admins.).

Anywho, It may seem silly to get this upset over loosing a site, but right now, my morning is shot all to hell.

Seriously, somebody is gonna die now... He will lose his head in the same fashion as the b@stard who got the idea of a kotor mmo did, by my hand:p And btw hk42, if youre looking for bad things to delete, erase america. and terrorists themselves arent really bad, theyre just misguided... lets kill the people who make terrorists shall we?

Well I've got 300 Gigabytes of space I'm willing to use. I'll try to save all the Spore Mods, a lot of EAW/FOC mods, and as many Kotor 2 Mods as I can.

I have a slow internet download speed though, so I doubt I'll have enough time to save everything.

Well I've got 300 Gigabytes of space I'm willing to use. I'll try to save all the Spore Mods, a lot of EAW/FOC mods, and as many Kotor 2 Mods as I can.

I have a slow internet download speed though, so I doubt I'll have enough time to save everything.

yay eaw mods, I will work on the mods for EAW files and SWB files aswell.

EDIT:make sure you get the ultimate corruption mod

Some of you seem to be unable to read, so hopefully this massive font, will encourage you to realise the following; we cannot stock upload mods to another site due to the permissions problem - for example as a modder I want my mods only being uploaded by myself (FF2, is hosted elsewhere as an example). So we cannot just move the mods from KotOR Files elsewhere, unless all the authors permission was given. Any mods which didn't have the authors permission to be hosted elsewhere couldn't be uploaded.

But what about the modders who don't know about this, and won't find out until it's too late? What about their mods? I'm not saying I'll upload the mods anywhere without permission, I'm just saying that I intend to save as many mods as I can, and when the modders who find out too late get all mad and whatnot that their mods are gone and that they didn't get to save them, I'll be one of the people who can say, "Hey, here are your mods, I'll send them to you."

But what about the modders who don't know about this, and won't find out until it's too late? What about their mods? I'm not saying I'll upload the mods anywhere without permission, I'm just saying that I intend to save as many mods as I can, and when the modders who find out too late get all mad and whatnot that their mods are gone and that they didn't get to save them, I'll be one of the people who can say, "Hey, here are your mods, I'll send them to you."

Most modders would already have a copy of their work, though.

Just to make my own position clear - I do not give anyone permission to host my mod without contacting me.

It's definitely sad to see FileFront go down. :ohdear: I hope a suitable replacement can be found and/or that authors will try to get their mods re-uploaded, or that permission can be obtained to re-upload their mods to the new site.

I know that I'll be doing a look to see if I see any of my mods that I still want to keep/reupload. :)

Just to make my own position clear - I do not give anyone permission to host my mod without contacting me.

I think that's most modders' thoughts on hosting, including mine.

Archived