Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

This is pretty tragic and I hope that the KotORFiles staff has sufficient time to save everything. If they do, then the worst has been averted.

I don't see a suitable method of saving the reviews, so they'll be lost TBH.

This is particularly bad, IMO. I know how much time you all spent on those. An effort should be made, even if it's just by copying and pasting, to save any reviews and other notable comments made by SithRevan, because their source is no more and I believe that as much of that guy's legacy as possible should be preserved.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pretty tragic and I hope that the KotORFiles staff has sufficient time to save everything. If they do, then the worst has been averted.

It is my opinion thanks to DI, MF and ED that all the mods will be saved.

I have all the 25MB+ mods on my harddrive, though quite how I email these to anyone who wants them I'm unsure.

Unfortunatly I dunno if I can see a method of saving the reviews; unless plans for the a backup of the KotOR Files site, under new site is used.

Guys come on.

The mods that have we have permission to re-upload well be put on whatever new site we come up with.

Any mods that we don't have permission for will simply have to be shared in the same way as the mods that were on PCGM that aren't readily available any more.

VIA EMAIL AND PM

It would be a pain, but what about just a cut and paste into a big text file for each, labeling what mods they are for.

Just a quite and dirty idea.

So we cannot just move the mods from KotOR Files elsewhere, unless all the authors permission was given.
You have my permission. :)

You have my permission. :)

I too give my permission to KotorFiles staff to upload my mod to the new site (if/when one will be created).

Perhaps if/once a new site for kotor mods is created, LucasForums staff could create a sticky thread in Holowan Labs and/or TUCE for people to write their permissions for KotorFiles staff to upload their mods?

Me too!!! damn ... :headbump I've been working for 2 weeks to release a TSL mod right now ... now what? :(

they still can step back right? :argh:

I know I dont know what to do!

Maybe I should just upload the mod on the next site:rolleyes:

I don't, but still.. We have to do our best to keep the community alive.

I'm all for keeping the community alive, but not at the expense of mod-makers. After all, it's their choice to allow their work to be downloaded, and I'm against any plans to take that choice out of their hands, whether it be for 'The good of community' or not.

Am wondering if they downloaded every mod including the ones they had lines thru that said "there is a newer and updated version here" or if they just stuck to the newer and updated versions.

Regardless Kotorfiles has my permission to upload my meager mods to a newer site when one is available :)

Eefluxx

Am wondering if they downloaded every mod including the ones they had lines thru that said "there is a newer and updated version here" or if they just stuck to the newer and updated versions.

Regardless Kotorfiles has my permission to upload my meager mods to a newer site when one is available :)

Eefluxx

Generally if I reviewed a mod, I will have downloaded it ;)

Let's look at the bright side...

Filefront and its forums are just plain, simple code... Just ones and zeroes.

That's all it really is. A complex net of code, hosting massive amounts of other things made of code. It's just a machine, really. It's not a living thing at all. The community can rebuild elsewhere, and the massive amounts of code it hosts can be transferred somewhere else...

The site could be rebuilt, or replaced my multiple other new sites. In the end, it's just code. Plain and simple. It can be replaced, a new machine made...

Remember, for every 1 site that goes down, 3 more will arise. It's internet law.

Let's look at the bright side...

Filefront and its forums are just plain, simple code... Just ones and zeroes.

That's all it really is. A complex net of code, hosting massive amounts of other things made of code. It's just a machine, really. It's not a living thing at all. The community can rebuild elsewhere, and the massive amounts of code it hosts can be transferred somewhere else...

The site could be rebuilt, or replaced my multiple other new sites. In the end, it's just code. Plain and simple. It can be replaced, a new machine made...

Remember, for every 1 site that goes down, 3 more will arise. It's internet law.

Its also $$$$, dont forget that.

Well I've got 300 Gigabytes of space I'm willing to use. I'll try to save all the Spore Mods, a lot of EAW/FOC mods, and as many Kotor 2 Mods as I can.

I have a slow internet download speed though, so I doubt I'll have enough time to save everything.

Ok, well you should know that saving K2 mods is a waste of time. I've spoken to DI and from what I've been told he (or someone related) has every single K1 and K2 mod backed up onto hard drives at this time.

Just to make my own position clear - I do not give anyone permission to host my mod without contacting me.

The same for me. However, that isn't to say that once I see the new solution for this and decide that I like where it's going (ie if the staff remains the same, etc) that I won't reupload myself.

I don't, but still.. We have to do our best to keep the community alive.

Not your work, not your call.

What I was told is that the newest versions were downloaded (ie If v1 had bugs and v2 was the finished product, only v2 was downloaded).

Of course, mods that have patches would have both the original and the patch downloaded.

_EW_

I'm not sure if InSidious has popped on or spoken to anyone about this, but FileFront Network is dead only in name and corporate meddling. There's work going on right this minute to rebuild the network elsewhere, and restore as much of FileFront Network's content as possible.

This effort is being spearheaded by FileFront Network Manager Jeff "n0e" Mills, who was possibly hit hardest by this affair along with the other dozen paid staff at FileFront HQ - they were given only two minutes' notice that their services were no longer required (along with a poor severance package consisting of just fifteen days' wages - fairly sure it's illegal to give such short notice, but that's for their union to decide).

We already have full backups of the file content from a good group of the network sites (KotOR included), and are still working to acquire full backups of the rest of the sites too.

There's true determination not to let the network die, and with many of the older FilesNetwork staff coming back on board to replace much of the newer FileFront staff (who are dispersing and attempting to branch off on their own), it looks like we may have a strong opportunity to rebuild FilesNetwork as it should have been today.

Starting from scratch will be a setback, but now we're independent we've got freedom, dedication, and above all we can bring our combined talents to bear rather than having to rely on the handful of overworked tech team members FileFront was surviving on.

They're safe, thanks to divine intervention - namely the reappearance of Phenix, who had a prominent role in creating the network to begin with - we've got a full backup of the database, including reviews and documents and developer information.

After all, it's their choice to allow their work to be downloaded, and I'm against any plans to take that choice out of their hands, whether it be for 'The good of community' or not.
We plan to offer that choice to every developer for every file they've submitted to every site.

The sites on the new network will be brought up one at a time so that we have the time to go over them with due care and attention, review files which lack reviews (as it was not standard policy across FF), and email developers to give them that very same choice.

Of course, any and all mod developers who had files on FF are free to take as much time as they require to make the decision. No files at all will be uploaded without the creator's blessing.

You need not worry about us holding to that. After all, we've got InSidious watching over us with his chain whip. :xp:

What I was told is that the newest versions were downloaded (ie If v1 had bugs and v2 was the finished product, only v2 was downloaded).

Of course, mods that have patches would have both the original and the patch downloaded.

Actually, it's pretty much a complete rip. There's no pickiness involved.

It's true that all of the KotOR files are secured, but we do still need help in securing the files from many other network sites.

There is a coordinated effort going on over at ArloriaNET between several volunteers, to systematically share the tasks out and ensure that the whole network's file archives are saved from deletion.

Since we've only got two days before the servers shut off, I'm very sure that any assistance offered to those guys would be extremely appreciated.

Archived