Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I do hope this is a joke. I mean it's not hard to cut off the forums from the public and cut the site managers (like me) from their mod powers in order to pull off a joke. I mean if they're going to shut down, why leave just part of it open and part of it closed? To mean it makes me wonder that just shutting down part of it is to just part of the deception.

Anyway, I'm glad we're preparing in case it isn't a joke, but at the same time I can't help but wonder...

Well, now this bites.

I'll give my downloader a spin. One more mass mod supply'n'share guy couldn't hurt--Can you pass around mods individual-to-individual?

I still have a few PCGM mods that are unauthored and hence will never have permissions to host or upload, that or their known authors have fallen off the face of the planet and were never heard from again after PCGM died. Shame too. I suppose I could make my own versions of them? Sort of as an ode/tribute sort of thing honoring them and just for the crowd to check out, but it would be my work whose idea was based off their original mod--is THAT okay to do?

Anyway, yeah, I'll be sure and get whatever mods I can get for all the games I care about. That also includes the JK, NWN, and GTA games. And probably some others...

Well here's the current list of games from which all the files are secured:

ArmadaFiles

KotORFiles

EAW Files

EFFiles

JKFiles

Legacy Files

BCFiles

SFC3Files

UTFiles

Supreme Commander

StalkerFiles

(The files from the C&C, LOTR and Battlefield related sites have all been backed up by Electronic Arts, who are holding them for us until we can get the new network running.)

The following site's files are currently being backed up:

UTFiles

Crysis Files

GTA

Soldier of Fortune

company of Heroes

The Elder Scrolls

Battlefront

Age of Empires

Civilization IV

America's Army

HL2

We also have all the screenshots, all the reviews, all the documents and all the other database content, thanks to the efforts of Phenix. Also, our backups contain the html of the download pages as well, so every single file we've got backed up comes complete with all the file info, review, readme, comments and such.

Things are going along pretty smoothly, all things considered.

If anyone does wish to help out with archiving the files from any sites not listed above, head on over to ArloriaNET IRC and help out with the organised front. It'll be a much easier task to tackle if we all team up rather than working individually.

I'm working on copying all of the reviews. I've been systematically making folders for all the mods by name, and copying the review into a .txt file in each folder.

I'm so glad some of u are already working to restablish all the stuff later :D somewhere ...

Now, where am I supposed to upload a TSL mod I just finished? :( lucasfiles? I'll never get a feedback then ... just a rating I guess? no screenies? damn ... :disaprove

*walks out of room, five min later walks back in armed to the teeth*

Who's with me!?! We've got some b*****ds to kill! *loads shotgun*

I'm with you!!! someone needs to be :tommys: for this ...

I'm so glad some of u are already working to restablish all the stuff later :D somewhere ...

Now, where am I supposed to upload a TSL mod I just finished? :( lucasfiles? I'll never get a feedback then ... just a rating I guess? no screenies? damn ... :disaprove

I'm with you!!! someone needs to be :tommys: for this ...

Just upload it to rapidshare, or megaupload(better) then post the screenshots, readme, info, in Tairs Uppercity.

The same for me. However, that isn't to say that once I see the new solution for this and decide that I like where it's going (ie if the staff remains the same, etc) that I won't reupload myself.

I likely will too, I just dislike the idea of people uploading mine and other people's work without asking, as it takes away our right to distribute it.

Great news about the possiblity of saving the network. A big round of applause is called for, for everyone who's working so hard to save it, especially when some of them have just lost their jobs too.

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

I've filled my hard drive up to capacity with mods for KotOR and TSL. I don't have them all but I have quite a few. If anyone wants any. Just pm me the file name and I'll respond telling you weather I have it or not. If I do I'll give you a link to the file.

EDIT: You also have my permission to move my mods to the next site.

Actually, it's pretty much a complete rip. There's no pickiness involved.

Well, that's good to hear. At the time of that comment, Darathy and Devon and J7 &etc had not heard of the backup server-side and were just doing it by hand, downloading them all client-side.

Now that we know that we're doing a server-side backup, I'm sure a lot has changed.

I'm working on copying all of the reviews. I've been systematically making folders for all the mods by name, and copying the review into a .txt file in each folder. I'd like to do screenshots, but 1,600 mods with 10 possible screenshots each...

...he just said that all the reviews are safe ;)

_EW_

Forums for the new network should actually be online by next weekend, if all goes smoothly, and the first network site - for testing the layout and system - shouldn't be too far behind it.

Thank you for all the hard work you and the rest are doing. Between patches and mods for K1 & K2, I have ~7GB worth of material. I know that this is barely scratching the surface of the KotOR mods.

I'm getting a lot of messages right now about the situation whether it's a PM, email, visitor message on every place you can find a way to contact me about this.

While I appreciate everything people are trying to do to preserve everything that has happened, but right now think of this as a mourning time for me because of all the countless hours *I* put into that site that is going to go away. I remember recalling that one day I'll leave it, but the work I put into it wouldn't be gone and I can always go back to visit it to see what I've done.

There are mods and PotD's that I have put on that site that have classic comments that I like to go read every now and then to put a smile on my face when I'm having a down day and that's going to be gone.

Then there is SithRevan's contributions that were leftover that he did for me personally that remind me of him that will be missing and there is nothing anybody can do to replace it because it was something *he* did. The only thing you can do to help in any way with him is to save all of the news announcements he wrote, but even then it won't mean the same because it won't be there because of his efforts.

So right now isn't a good time to talk to me about all this. There's still apart of me that thinks this is all a joke and still wants to believe that. Until I can fully realize that it isn't a joke and I get a chance to mourn this loss, I can't commit in helping running another site or do anything right now.

You have to remember that from my point of view, I did all that on my own time and nobody payed me to. I did it for the KOTOR community because of the problems PCGM was having and *I* full heartily believed it would be there forever and that we would never again have a PCGM type situation repeat itself. I not only did this for myself as a personal project, but I did it for you and everytime I read a nice comment about something I did to make you happy, I smiled which means I smiled countless times. That is what made all of that worth the effort.

Now I realize that nothing is guaranteed to last, even this forum where we are at could be gone one day. That means putting my heart and soul into something isn't going to be happening anytime soon because of the hurt I'm experiencing. Three years down the [censored] drain and I'll have nothing to show for it starting next week.

So yes, I'm sad and again I hope this is a well organized April Fool's joke. :(

FileFront never became PCGM. The only thing the two have in common is that they both closed, but that doesn't make any site "the new PCGM" - because dozens upon dozens of websites close every week.

The difference is that FileFront isn't going to just roll over and die that easily.

Shem, if you've got any MSN/AIM/Skype/ICQ contact info, please throw me a PM. Would like to have a chat with you.

Shem: Sorry if this is off-topic, but I sent a PM in regards to the recent Filefront situation to your Youtube account because your mailbox here appears to be full. Should you choose to respond, I'd like you to do so via a PM here at Lucasforums. Thank you for your time.

Edit: Disregard the second-to-last sentence above. You've already responded. Thanks.

Archived