Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admire the organized effort to save the contents of Filefront but even if all the files are saved, new sites and new mod servers will have to be created.

I don't think that part is going to be a major problem. It sounds like some of the ex-filefront staffers already have that part sorted out, and are working to get a new site up and running.

(And if that effort should fail for some reason, which I doubt, there probably wouldn't be a problem to get a JK/KOTOR mod hosting service hosted here on LFNetwork, so I think the risk is rather small that we will end up without any mod repository in the long run. Either way it's going to take some time to get a new site up and running, so we just have to be patient in the meanwhile.)

Also I had an idea. In the mean time when there are no mod database sites to get our favorite mods, how about we do this. We in a thread on this forum, put together a list of author's site links. Sorta like a mod database, but instead of a listing of mods its a listing of sites.

There is a sticky thread like that in Holowan Labs, "Where can I find mods". Don't know how up-to-date the site listing is there though.

Your gonna kill someone over a gaming site closing down? Not that I like those to blame for the financial crisis, but there are people in far more dire straits than the KotOR community.

You are a wise Man Jonathan7.

I suppose killing someone wouldn't help. However there are many people responsible that should be slapped around a bit. But that is all.

Be depressed about the billion people starving in the world, be depressed over what someone like Josef Fritzl does to his own family, don't be depressed over this...

Yes there is more then enough to be depressed about.

Although sad and even angry, you are right. It is not enough to be depressed over

Thanks, my main thoughts go to Shem, he's the one who did so much to make KotOR Files the site it was.

That was my first thought. But I did not want to single out just him. That would not be fair to the rest of you.

Thank you all again! I wish I had the ability to do something like that

This sort of feels like when the Jedi Library on Ossus was being bombed by the Sith forces of Naga Sadow, and all of the Jedi Masters were scrambling to grab as many artifacts as they could in order to get them out of there. Or when the Great Library of Alexandria burned down, if you want to use a real-world analogy.

Well, this really has me down. For about four years I have visited Knights of the Old Republic II Files every single day without fail, looking for new mods to download for two of my favorite games in the world, which kept them fun to play and brought a feeling of freshness and discovery with every new playthrough. :(

This sort of feels like when the Jedi Library on Ossus was being bombed by the Sith forces of Naga Sadow, and all of the Jedi Masters were scrambling to grab as many artifacts as they could in order to get them out of there.

And you were there for that, were you? :p

In all seriousness, folks, if there's anything you want from there urgently, I suggest you find it now, as the backed up files may not be available for a while.

This sort of feels like when the Jedi Library on Ossus was being bombed by the Sith forces of Naga Sadow, and all of the Jedi Masters were scrambling to grab as many artifacts as they could in order to get them out of there.

:lol:

I don't know whether or not to feel sad or happy that I'm not half the nerd you are. :xp:

I not only did this for myself as a personal project, but I did it for you and everytime I read a nice comment about something I did to make you happy, I smiled which means I smiled countless times. That is what made all of that worth the effort.
Just remember, the biggest and most important thing you helped build was this community, which as you can see is still going strong. :)

At least they gave us a warning this time, it took me around a week before I realized there was no new mods on Pcgamemods, since it was "up" for a while, but not accepting new mods.

I'm pretty sure it's not a joke, IIRC the filefront owner filed for bankruptcy, thats a little much for a joke...

Are you still able to download from it? I'm actually not suprised its still up. It was such a big network. I don't know how you back up a whole database, but I'm sure curious the total size of that database just so I can go woah that's big. Well they did say it wil shut down today. That to me doesn't mean it will finish shutting down today. It could be up for a bit of tomarrow morning. But again who knows.

Woah I just realized its the 31st. I thought it was the 30th. During the week sometimes you can get the days mixed up. Huh. Since its the end of the day after the day FF would go down I am kinda suprised. It should've gone down by now. Not that I'm complaining. Well like I said it must be a pretty big network to take this long. Oh well. This weekend I hope the new network forums will be up. But I say again, has anyone tried to search for something on filefront or the sub sites to see if that is still working?

Archived