Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to shut down FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront shutting down was NOT an early April Fool's joke and Ziff Davis Media had every intention of shutting down FileFront by the end of March.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER shut down FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

http://welcome.filefront.com/

Well, I do got my powers back, but our manager's menu is buggy right now and that will have to be worked out before I can do all that I used to do on the site. One of the things I wanted to do is make a welcome back PotD. I made it and tried to send it in and found it it needs to be fixed and that area has some work that needs to be done. The news is back, but since there was a network news announcement made already, there is no need for me to do that.

What I find funny is the users who had ban evaded decided to reveal themselves because they thought nothing would be done about it and tell me off personally. Luckily the ban system was back in order to take care of those trolls who flew under the radar with their new usernames. :lol:

Shem. The Search engine is still down, I don't get the options.
I think this is a good time to remind people of something about my role on the site and one of the things I don't do. I am not technical support for the site.

Right now there are tons of things that need to be fixed because of what happened over the last week, even I still can't do everything again yet as our manager's menu still needs some tweaking.

Shem, the main issue there is that OPS is pretty much tied in to the server configuration. If the servers have been changed, then it looks like Phenix is gonna have to get down and dirty with some source code to get OPS running at optimal status again.

Shem, the main issue there is that OPS is pretty much tied in to the server configuration. If the servers have been changed, then it looks like Phenix is gonna have to get down and dirty with some source code to get OPS running at optimal status again.
Oh, I figured it was something like that. We'll just have to wait until all the bugs are worked out. At least the site will remain. :D

Shem, I submitted a mod around the beginning of last week, it never got accepted before the site went down, should I resubmit it or wait till you guys get the system running correctly again?

All the mods that were in the upload queue before we lost access to OPS are still there. So no, you don't need to resubmit them.

Like Shem and Kouen say though, things will be a little slow, while OPS is fixed, and put back to running like it used to. :)

Looks like the drama is over for this time at least and the mod hosting will remain intact, thankfully.

If nothing else this has certainly generated a lot of extra publicity for Filefront. Remains to see if it truly is like they say that "all publicity is good publicity". :)

All the mods that were in the upload queue before we lost access to OPS are still there. So no, you don't need to resubmit them.
Well, that maybe deceiving. We may need to check if the file itself is still there, not just the submission form that has the file attached.

What I'm worried about *if* the file itself is still physically there is the mirroring issue when validating them. I'm almost afraid to do anything to see if that is working at the moment given that OPS is still buggy on other things I've already checked out.

Like Shem and Kouen say though, things will be a little slow, while OPS is fixed, and put back to running like it used to. :)
Depending how fast the repairs are done through the server change because of the ownership transfer, it could be a little while before things are truly back to normal so being patient is the only thing we can do. Hopefully it's a short wait. :D

Archived