Home

Filefront Network To Shut Down - Please Read!!

Forceboat

Farewell

Any of you who have uploaded files on your hosted.filefront.com sites, download them and save them while you can, everyone! And download everything you think you will want later on. There's talk about moving everything they can to a new site, http://jksource.com, but I can't guarantee they will be able to get ahold of any authors who are not active in the community anymore. For those who are, I urge you to get in contact with the staff over at Filefront and let them know it is okay to transfer them to JK Source.

With all due respect to AmonRa, he's got no experience in many of the fields required to establish and manage a high-standard institution. That site is definitely not going to be able to replace JKFiles, in quality or in spirit.

StrategyInformer should probably be your next port of call. I'm actually in talks with someone about cutting into JKFiles niche in the market, I'll let you know how that goes.

Good news!

A deal has been negotiated between FileFront's now-fired network manager Jeff Mills, and another website, to create a network to replace FileFront.

This network has one distinct advantage. It's run by gamers and modders, with no corporate influences. Thus it's likely to be better in every single way.

All the files on several FileFront sites have been fully backed up, JKFiles is one of them. We're now working to salvage the rest of the network's contents, and will deal with getting them rehabilitated as soon as possible.

Keep an eye on my Twitter page for updates on this network as it progresses.

Will files from hosted.filefront.com be included in this move, or will they even be affected, because many people have files uploaded through that? Should people download what they can in case everything doesn't get backed up, or should everything be okay? And what about the forums? Will all the old threads from the old forums be wiped out? Sorry for so many questions.

Our backups primarily reach only to the network. As for the filefront.com main site, that's out of our reach, sorry. We just don't have any way to recover the files from there with any sort of expendiency, and with only four days we've gotta prioritise.

As for the forums.... we can't do anything about that. Ziff Davis Media have locked out all FileFront employees. Even if the forums haven't yet been deleted, they're inaccessible by everyone, including the people who would have the power to salvage the database.

So, not everything will be in the file backups, correct? Meaning I should still download everything I can before the shutdown, correct? And as for any files I can think of that I have been wanting, I am downloading off of any hosted.filefront.com pages I come across, since those will be gone.

Our backups primarily reach only to the network. As for the filefront.com main site, that's out of our reach, sorry. We just don't have any way to recover the files from there with any sort of expendiency, and with only four days we've gotta prioritise.

As for the forums.... we can't do anything about that. Ziff Davis Media have locked out all FileFront employees. Even if the forums haven't yet been deleted, they're inaccessible by everyone, including the people who would have the power to salvage the database.

That's too bad about the forums. It's a shame to lose some of those editing threads.

Well, if anyone here has a webserver capable of running Python scripts, and with sufficient space and bandwidth to transfer and store the contents of a network site, we still need help. We have only three days to get every file off the network.

We've got a coordinated salvage effort (started by Phenix) running in order to preserve the files from the entire network. If you wish to join this effort, grab an IRC client and seek us out on irc.arloria.net.

JKFiles is safe, don't worry. We got all the files. And KotOR, EaW, C&C and Armada 2. We've got people working on UT, Crysis and Bridge Commander, too, and I'm going to back up Grand Theft Auto and Dawn of War's files.

But still, we've only got 65 hours at best to get everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By request of n0e after a conversation I had with him, Phenix made it a priority to get the JKFiles site backed-up. There is two reasons for this, first being the quite obvious desire not to lose all those files, and the second is because JKSource has entered into a partnership with another network for a replacement site for jk3files. I don't wish to discuss anything more though, until its all finalised.

Until then, keep an eye on http://www.jksource.com for updates.

Kouen, this news is great. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D I am very appreciative of this since I play many games that I use filefront for and I obviously can't save each specific filefront site. Mac-Pc gamers is working on SWBF; and I think Gametoast is doing the same. So I think you might not have to worry about the SWBF filefront site (contacting them to see what they are doing might be the best though).

As far as I'm aware, all games which are either still heavily active and/or have upcoming titles will be supported by the new network.

So basically every FileFront site that wasn't closed/archived (only two I'm aware of that suffered such a fate are Breed and Rise Of Nations) at the time of the network's termination will be transferred to the new network.

Current sites whose files are completely backed up:

ArmadaFiles

CnC Files

EAW Files

EFFiles

JKFiles

Legacy Files

BCFiles

SFC3Files

UTFiles

Supreme Commander

StalkerFiles

Sites whose files are currently in the process being backed up (and the people to whom we owe thanks for their help):

UTFiles (Lulolwen)

Crysis Files (Twinmeister)

BC Files (Ricksal0224)

CnCFiles (EA)

LOTRFiles (EA)

Battlefield Files (EA)

GTA (nlomioni)

Soldier of Fortune (nlomioni)

company of heroes (nlomioni)

The Elder Scrolls (nlomioni)

Sites currently on the priority list:

Battlefront

Dawn of War

HL2

As said though, that list is just to organise things and make sure everyone retrieves a portion of the network, rather than wasting time downloading two copies of the same thing.

We really do want to get everything safe, secure, and settled into a new home with as little disruption to the communities as we can get away with, although thanks to Ziff Davis Media not giving us any advance warning, disruption is inevitable.

Yep, as Kouen has said, Phenix was able to take a full back-up of JKFiles so that JKSource can take over without any issues, the only problem is that we wont be able to use any reviews or POTD's from FileFront because Ziff Davis owns them technically.

The discussions i've been having with the the network site have concluded, and a partnership has been formed which will see JKSource be the new home for jk3files, however patience is required from the community as we get everything organised, I will be making a formal announcement with further details in a few hours at JKSource..

So keep an eye on the site: http://www.jksource.com

Archived