Home

The OTHER existence of God

obi

So, maybe I could have combined these two threads, but anyways-

My other thread is devoted to people that do not believe in a diety (so I can get their names, addresses, and then hunt them down [jk]), so this is for those of you that do- whatever that diety is.

What do you believe in, and why do you believe it? All of this is for my research, btw, and just out of sheer curiosty.

I guess I will start. I am a christian. Someone recently asked me "why christianity? Why not one of the other thousands?" I responded with this:

*edited slightly to conform to THIS forum, not where I originally posted it*

"Why Christianity? lol, I appreciate the question, but iam not sure if there is enough space on this channel to tell you why. I'll do me best, arrr arrr arrr!

First, In Christianity, God has revealed Himself. No other religion in the world can say that. No other religion in the world can say that "God loves us so much, that He understands that we cannot make it to Him ourselves, we need Him to come to us and provide for Himself." Which He has done, through Jesus. No other religion has their God sent down to die for us, for our sins, for our brokeness. No other god. And some have tried to say Jesus never existed, and that is just crazy- they are ignoring tons of archaeological finds and texts

But not only did God send Jesus to absolutely be tortured and killed for the forgiveness of our sins, but He did it in order that we could know Him. Have you ever thought about having a relationship with the creator of the universe? it is insane to even think about- but it is possible, and it is awesome. Every other religion has the message "work hard, focus, focus, focus, be as holy as you can possibly be, and then do A, do B, and then C, and maybe god will think about accepting you." Christianity just says "Call my name, and I'll be there." If you believe in Jesus and call on His name, you are saved. You instantly have a relationship with God that will grow as you spend time with Him in His word.

To first understand the need for Jesus Christ, you must first understand the concept of sin and holiness. Sin, in short, is disobedience to God. The original sin was simply "do not eat from this tree." Well, it got eaten from. You might be asking "so, eating from a tree is wrong?" No, eating from a tree is not wrong, unless God instructs you not to. God is so perfect and so holy, that absolutely NO sin can come before Him. That means if you are harboring sin, you cannot come before Him. On judgement day, standing before God, it will be just like a court room. All of your sins are recorded, just like all of the charges against you. Do you know what would happen if you only sinned once a day? That is still 365 charges a year against you. God sees your charges, and then you get your sentence. it's only fair and just. Otherwise, God would not be a fair judge. But God is not trying to rain on someone's parade. Sin isn't bad because God says no, God says no because sin is bad. He knows what it does to us. He knows the bondages it leads to. He knows the addictions that comes from it- the health risks, the mental thoughts, the shame and guilt.

However, God sent Jesus to die and pay the penalty on our behalf. That's a load off, right? If you accept Jesus as your forgiveness, then all of the charges against you will be DROPPED, and God no longer sees you in your sin, but He sees you in rightousness. You would be cleared of everything, allowing you to be free to roam with Him for eternity. Sound too good to be true? Well, it is the only thing that is true, friend.

Why Christianity? Because it is the only way of forgiveness for the sins in our life, no matter how great or small they are. Jesus, on the night of His arrest, was praying to God the Father, and he said "If it is possible, let this cup pass from me." In other words, if there is any other way then me going to the cross, please let it be done. The response from Heaven was, "There is no other way."

Jesus went to a cross, bloody and beaten, for our sins and our transgressions. His only desire? You to know Him.

My father was an alcoholic that beat me 4/7 days of the week for years before shooting himself in the head. Now he is a blind vegetable, and I change his diapers at 2 in the morning. If it were not me coming to Christ, I would have done myself in years ago. But that's another story for another time (unless you just want to know more)."

I'm seriously thinking of taking up practicing Buddhism and Shinto, I'll need to do some devoted reading and thinking to supply you with a proper answer (from my point of view).

Well that is interesting. What exactly prompted you to make that decision? Or was it just a thought you've had? Personally, I do not know anyone in either of those practices, so I do not have a personally experienced person I could talk to about it.

Well that is interesting. What exactly prompted you to make that decision? Or was it just a thought you've had? Personally, I do not know anyone in either of those practices, so I do not have a personally experienced person I could talk to about it.

Well as my religious background goes I've been to church three times with my parents; twice at a Pentecostal church, and once at a Catholic church. After that we never attended church or really talked about religion much, when we did it was almost always because my mom had had a few too much to drink and always thinks she is a theologist when she is drunk (she's much better now though :)) which would almost always turn into a fight over what God wants and what God doesn't want. My childhood was a major deciding factor to branch out on my own and choose something that I feel like I could connect with.

I've known maybe two or three Buddhists total and to be honest I haven't gotten in too deep of religious conversations with them, though now I wish I would have asked at least a few questions. I like Shintoism's ideology of trying to make the best of the world we know and live in rather than prepare for the next, since you see so many other religions already "reserving" their places in the afterlife, which makes sense "why worry about a place you may not know even exists when you're dealing with real-time problems on earth?" I haven't studied too much into Buddhism, but I plan to visit a temple that is somewhat near where I live.

twice at a Pentecostal church,

my mom had had a few too much to drink and always thinks she is a theologist when she is drunk

Rofl, I pastor a pentecostal church! *dies laughing*

"my mom had had a few too much to drink"

ROFL AGAIN! You just described half of my family! You must be a cousin of mine and we just do not know it lol

Good luck in your search, friend.

Rofl, I pastor a pentecostal church! *dies laughing*

"my mom had had a few too much to drink"

ROFL AGAIN! You just described half of my family! You must be a cousin of mine and we just do not know it lol

Good luck in your search, friend.

Yes that is quite a coincidence but sadly seems to be a norm for American life :( Thank you, and I will gladly provide any knowledge I gain from my "sojourn".

Avery, did you even read the first part of this thread? The one where it says "If you believe in a diety, what is it and why?"

This is not for debate. I stressed that 1000000000 times in this and the other thread. I did what I have requested someone else to do- tell me what you believe in and why. I said what I believed in, and then I said why.

I am not here to conquer LucasForums in a crusade.

Call me curious. That's what drives this thread.

Who said anything about a Crusade? You started this topic...

1 Peter 3:15 "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"

Who said anything about a Crusade? You started this topic...

1 Peter 3:15 "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect"

Oh, I appreciate the scripture, but....

My point was that this thread was not intended to convert the masses. If I were trying to convert someone, I would have went about it a much different way. If you try to tell someone about Hell, the SECOND you mention it, 98% of the time, the person's ears cut off. Their mind shuts down and all of a sudden you are a close-minded Bible-thumper that is living in a fantasy world in their eyes, and your effectiveness goes to zero. That has been my experience anyway.

My approach is much different. People are so insecure, every single one of us. I mean, severely insecure. People want genuine love and caring, and if you show them that with actions, they will put 2 and 2 together most of the time.

Archived