Home

OnLive

IG-64

2mb/sec is really low, especially for game video which will be much harder to compress than films as it has very little stable motion.

Ehhh I'm only going off of what they said. No reason to expect 6/sec if they say 2, considering they're the devs and you're not ;)

The laws of physics prevent an "end to latency". It is called a causality cone.

You know what I meant >:|

Well honestly, how many times have we all heard the 'end all to latency' malarkey before? I'm just putting my money on a large majority of people who will try this won't have good times because of a lack of bandwidth. Ya digg?

Yup, I know what you're saying :)

_EW_

Ehhh I'm only going off of what they said. No reason to expect 6/sec if they say 2, considering they're the devs and you're not ;)

Well I may not be in the Motion Picture Experts Group, but I know a little bit about video compression. And if the devs say that they can deliver high def, 60fps video with a 2megabit/s link, then either they are lying, or it will look extremely blocky.

They will have to do compression with no foresight into the any later frames, something which compression of films benefits from. I have seen no reported blu ray films with video bitrates under 10megabits/s (most are at or above 20), given that 1080p video is approx twice as many pixels to compress as 720p, that still nets a bit rate of 5megabit/s to keep it comparable to a films. Films that are far easier to compress due to the fundamental differences in the way that video in films vs 1st/3rd person games is shown.

Basically, these guys are just making great claims to try and hype their product while in the end any customers will end up with nothing that quite matches their marketing hype. Of course, there is the off chance that they have some brilliant guys there who developed a low bitrate compression method that has so far eluded everyone else working on it. If that's true, hopefully they share it :)

Archived