Home

Mapper at your disposal.

Ibanez

Hello everyone. I've followed the DFmod progress for a few years, and I greatly enjoyed the 6 level demo. They took me back quite a bit, and I had a blast playing it. The words "Oh, cool!" left my mouth plenty of times.

I have been editing Jedi Academy for a while, and I would be thrilled if I could map for either the DFmod team or DF2mod. I'm happy with either. Here is my most recent work, that I've been doing for the last few days: a remake of Double Cross on Nar Shaddaa from JK.

Original:

jk-1.jpg

New:

shot0019-3.jpg

shot0006-4.jpg

Original:

Jk2009-03-2402-12-32-54.jpg

New:

shot0027-3.jpg

shot0029-3.jpg

Original:

Jk2009-03-2405-47-49-38.jpg

New:

shot0030-2.jpg

shot0032-1.jpg

shot0034-1.jpg

More pictures next post.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it looks really good, but you do really need to work on some textures. The green ones with the circular pattern looks dreadful. The second last picture on the first post, those iron bar kind of things, you really need to make that stand out with brushes or actual cylinders, or some other way of texturing.

But overall, it looks great! keep up the good work!

I'm sorry, could you be more specific? Are you referring to the steep slope with the vertical metal striping texture? I do take any and all criticism into consideration, since I am making this for the community, after all. :)

Also, remember, those textures are not mine. They are 1:1 remakes of the original JK textures.

my apologies for being unclear, yes, that is what I was referring to. The metal stuff on the steep slope looks really 2d, while you could easily make it better. You could either make two layers, one metal layer and one black-ish layer below, or you could go another way, and completely replicate it with some small tubes(that is, I think the texture is trying to convey something like that) The texture I was referring to(the floor texture on your first two screenshots) looks really grainy imho. I'm not sure if said texture is a remake of the floor texture on respective surface, since I can't really tell from the comparison shot. But if it is, it could need replacing or improvement otherwise. I always ask myself what the authors of the original texture could've meant, and if it makes sense, I try to improve upon it.

But there are also cases where it doesn't make sense. For example, in mysteries of the sith(jk expansion) in the first map, you're in this big concrete rebel base. On the ceiling of this base, this is a wooden plank texture. That didn't really make sense, so I replaced it.

The idea of recreating is keeping the good stuff, and improving the bad stuff(and you're doing a damn good job at that.)

edit: if you ever need someone to test your map, I'd be happy to help you =)

Also, just wondering: how long have you spent creating this, uptil now?

Ahh, the green texture with studs on it in the first picture? Yeah, that is actually a stock JA texture (held over from the JO Nar level). I used it simply because it looks dirty and it keeps in the color theme as the original Nar level. If it looks too low quality, I can replace it. :)

And I know what you mean with the sloping metal texture. I know just what to do.

I've spent about 4-5 days on this so far.

Your map is very awesome. I like the look you have going on it. First rate indeed. plus you have made me very jealous. ; )

I would recommed that on the dragon over the bar you shorten the width and make it a little longer, it looks alittle fat to me. just my opinion though. : )

very much so =)

You know why I'm jealous too? you seem to be able to get quite a lot of work done in so little time, or you do have a lot of time. Hhunter and I(together with a small team) need to recreate every texture ourselves, and just don't have that much time on our hands, so it'd take weeks for us to get this far :/

Anyway, in the case the df2team is completely out of their mind and doesn't accept you, you're always welcome to help out with mysteries of the sith =)

you might want to consider posting it on jksource.com, it'll have all the jk3files files(complete backup) and it kind of the replacement. However' it's not finished yet, and probably won't be for another two weeks or so. However, I can't imagine you finishing the map within two weeks :p

edit: missed the last screenshots. Sadly, I don't have much more to add than "nice!" =)

How many rooms (estimated..) have you finished up til now, and how many do you still have to do?

Well, I map in progression from room to room, and I don't move on until I have one area totally finished. So, the last room you see is the last room I've finished. Here it is in Radiant, this might give you an idea. The very top right room is the last one I made.

radiant.jpg

[EDIT: I forgot to add! Thanks to the help of someone, I now understand and have working shaders! So, the neon signs from JK now animate exactly as they did in JK, and that signature 'hand' switch from Nar now animates as well, and has great looking glow! :)]

you still have a long way to go =)

on the shaders: that's great! if you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an e-mail or a pm(preferably on my mod's forums, I check those more often). I'm no shader guru, but I understand the basics pretty well.

Archived