Home

Mapper at your disposal.

Ibanez

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I wouldn't say that. I've spent two days now sitting staring blankly at that empty wall, wondering how I'm going to tackle the next area. 75% of the time I take in my mapping is simply coming up with a design and look for the next area. When I know what I'm making, I do work very fast. I have to finish it before I forget it! :p

Holy crap! That's frickin' sweet!

DarkStarMojo, I know you guys have already completed the first couple of levels, and I respect the work you've done, but please take this guy's version into consideration. Maybe the finished level could be a hybrid of the two?

But get Dark Forces done first, of course. ;)

Ah! Thank you! It seems they're doing a 1:1 remake of JK, whereas I'm taking artistic license with mine and making it as if what Kyle would have gone through if the JK engine had been able to support more detailed environments. Also, in some cases, if the level designers hadn't been bat**** insane. :D

Although I really like many of the things I see in those pictures! Especially level 2. Ace job! I particularly like the air duct under construction! ;)

Yeah, I'd rather these levels be mostly re-imagined rather than a carbon copy of the ones we're familiar with, with better graphics. In my other threads here I keep referencing Tomb Raider: Anniversary as the perfect example of a re-imagining of a classic game when I give the team my suggestions as to how to go about designing the levels, gameplay, functionality plot advancement (from a writer's perspective, as I know nothing about the technical aspects of it).

In any case, I really like your level and look forward to seeing it released. (Filefront is back up, by the way. They've been permitted to stick around. ;)) I also wouldn't mind more videos.

Oh, and a few suggestions, should you ever revisit your creation and make some changes here and there:

1. Perhaps the initial dining area can be designed so as to more closely resemble the one seen in the cutscene when the level begins?

2. Could you make the patrons and activities in the barroom more interactive, as they are in Jedi Outcast]? Perhaps have it so that you need to accomplish some sort of task before the patrons become hostile and you are permitted to advance? (Perhaps 8T88 ordered the place locked down on his way out?)

Well, there are others in the bar that ignore you until you shoot them (at which point they become hostile :p ). But even that's more than how it was in JK. I suppose I could make it so you need to find a hidden switch to advance... but wouldn't that be deviating from JK a bit?

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Ok, so here's the first part of the level as it plays out now. Enjoy!

I probably won't post too many more updates, as I don't want to spoil everything and ruin your interests! ;)

Sweet! So now some of the civilians shoot back when you shoot them? Good idea!

I suppose I could make it so you need to find a hidden switch to advance... but wouldn't that be deviating from JK a bit?

Yes, but that's the point of remakes: have fun re-imaging things. ;) Play the first Tomb Raider game for PSX and then play Anniversary for PS2 or XBox 360 and you'll see what I mean.

Though the switch you've set behind the bar could easily serve as the "hostility trigger." After all, it's only the beginning of the game, so perhaps finding that switch shouldn't be made too difficult.

Just elaborating on the idea I gave you earlier having seen the video:

2. Could you make the patrons and activities in the barroom more interactive, as they are in Jedi Outcast]? Perhaps have it so that you need to accomplish some sort of task before the patrons become hostile and you are permitted to advance? (Perhaps 8T88 ordered the place locked down on his way out?)

I'm saying, perhaps that trigger could be the button behind the bar that opens the door. Maybe a small alarm will sound and then it's slug fest?

I guess I'm just confused why that would be. Why would they all become hostile after you've opened the locked door? In my understanding, 8t88 ordered a lockdown, perhaps by threatening the bartender, who closed the door. 8t88's goons (the grans) stayed behind to take care of you, but you kill them and unlock the bar after they're dead. Everyone else in the bar remains indifferent, since this is, after all, Nar Shaddaa, and if it isn't your business, it stays that way. That's just the way I understand it. :)

Remember, this is the very beginning of the level, it's probably unwise to make the player have to face more than 3 enemies at the same time lest he gets frustrated and quits. There're plenty of baddies down the road. :)

I know, I just really liked the interaction in the bar on Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast and just thought that implementing something similar would have been cool. But I suppose your idea makes better sense.

Maybe we can save this idea for the "bar brawl" near Max's house in Baron's Hed later on. ;)

df2mod isn't on hiatus, it's just crawling slowly across the floor, in a semi-comatose state ATM... :p

@ibanez: Drop by #df2mod on efnet and we'll talk. :) Same goes for you, exo. ;)

Really, anyone who has interest in the mod is welcome to hang out there, I check that more regularly than the forums. Also, if you show up and have something to say and I'm not responding, go ahead and type your message in the channel as I'll see it eventually. :)

Also, if you leave your chat window open, the better the chances that you will see the reply. If you're not in the channel, you probably won't see it. ;)

So, Shamus, I guess you and I will have to duel to see who gets to hire this gent, right? My skills with a lightsaber are a bit rusty but command of The Force is strong as ever!!!!

All joking aside, this is some amazing stuff Ibanez (I love the guitar reference, too). I'm always looking for more mappers for DFMod (so shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll forward you my email).

@Shamus, you have my absolute permission to use this map in place of anything I've made for narshadda (lord knows I've gotten so much better than when I first started that I'd be more than likely to try rebuilding the map if I were to get back to work on DF2Mod, so know we won't have to.).

Thanks! I just got back from house-sitting for the weekend, so I can get started again on this level. I'm not here to replace anyone's work, I'm here to work alongside you guys to get this damn mod out the door. ;)

And my name is Ibanez because that's my favorite guitar brand and Jimmy page (in my signature) is my favorite guitarist. ;)

Thanks! I just got back from house-sitting for the weekend, so I can get started again on this level. I'm not here to replace anyone's work, I'm here to work alongside you guys to get this damn mod out the door. ;)

And my name is Ibanez because that's my favorite guitar brand and Jimmy page (in my signature) is my favorite guitarist. ;)

Oh, I got the reference. I'm a musician, myself (not professionally, unfortunately).

As far as replacing anyone's map work, I completely understand. The decision is ultimately Shamus' but had I still been working on DF2Mod I'd probably be rebuilding the first narshadda level from scratch since I've improved alot since I started it and I'm not really satisfied with how some of what I attempted to do turned out. Whatever Shamus decides there are a few things from my level that I'd love to see carried over but, otherwise, I have no problem with the mod using a map as awesome as yours seems to be turning out.

tsk, I'll take on you both, I've been having some good practice lately! =)

Also, @DSM and/or Shamus(if you wont read this, I'll ask it on IRC later on) how many mappers are currently busy with dfmod and df2mod?

DFmod is myself and hhunter6 (whose also working with you on MotS if I'm not mistaken). I can't say about DF2Mod as I'm currently "on hiatus" while I'm in charge of DFMod but when I left there were at least three mappers working on the project (though I was working on most of the early levels).

Archived