Home

Will you/have you turn(ed) the lights off on the Earth Hour?

Well if you don't want to do it then don't, but I don't get why others are bitching about it when it is supposed to be a positive thing.

The Earth Hour is a nice notion if it actually managed to get people thinking about being more environmentally friendly, but I imagine it'll have the end result of freeing up people's guilt about polluting a bit more than they should.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Earth Hour is a nice notion if it actually managed to get people thinking about being more environmentally friendly, but I imagine it'll have the end result of freeing up people's guilt about polluting a bit more than they should.

Exactly.

It also just gives people a reason to get hammered in the dark ;)

Another thing, it seems like the US is the only ones doing this... I might be mistaken about this though. But if it is just the US... does the rest of the world get a free pass for pollution? China, Australia, Russia, South America.. etc? They dont use electricity?

It would be a nice notion, but its not going to solve anything. We know about this already, this silly blackout thing isnt going to make us anymore aware than we already are... We already are trying to be more energy efficient. Thats what research is for. And then theres all these essential services that take up more electricity than the consumers themselves.

Reminds me of Gore's carbon credits, and sin-tax from the middle ages. lol Turn your lights off for one hour tonite, and then youll be absolved and can go back to wasting!

Wiggin? It is typical of us US folk to want to hold our politicians to same standards that they expect us to live by... I make no apologies for that.

There are images from Australia, Singapore, Moscow, New Zealand, and probably more on their website (all in this gallery http://earthhour.smugmug.com/gallery/7733798_fgyNK/1/499944359_64A6W#500608703_vBvHP).

Tyrion I suppose that is a valid point and I didn't think of it that way. I still think overall it's a good thing, probably has no actual effect, but I don't think think it has a negative effect for the majority of people.

Another thing, it seems like the US is the only ones doing this... I might be mistaken about this though. But if it is just the US... does the rest of the world get a free pass for pollution? China, Australia, Russia, South America.. etc? They dont use electricity?

It would be a nice notion, but its not going to solve anything. We know about this already, this silly blackout thing isnt going to make us anymore aware than we already are... We already are trying to be more energy efficient. Thats what research is for. And then theres all these essential services that take up more electricity than the consumers themselves.

Reminds me of Gore's carbon credits, and sin-tax from the middle ages. lol Turn your lights off for one hour tonite, and then youll be absolved and can go back to wasting!

Wiggin? It is typical of us US folk to want to hold our politicians to same standards that they expect us to live by... I make no apologies for that.

Careful, Ms. Li, lest your pointing out obvious hypocrisy gets you labeled as a paranoid, delusional troublemaker at best, and a liar at worst. ;)

Liar? I suggest you re-read my comment. I said nothing false in there.

But suit yourself, Im not here to tell you not to do it. You have the right to sit in darkness for an hour if you want. ^.^

I'll leave the thread alone now. :)

I would turn my lights off at 8:30-9:30 p.m. but if I did that it would be hard to see where I am driving, and since I know teekay is plotting to kill me, I'm sure he would be largely upset if I ended up killing myself.

I believe I was talking about the "if everyone doesn't do it, then there's no need for me to do it either. I don't have to help if everyone else isn't helping" idea that flows through American brains. It's one thing to want to hold politicians to standards (hint: I don't disagree) but it's quite another to refuse to do things because "other people aren't".

Especially because AFAIK this isn't something that is coming from the government so the politicians aren't really being hypocritical (in this instance, for I know they are in others).

You grossly misunderstand me and my sarcasm. (Hint: it was not directed at you) ;)

Awww, love you too.

The point is, I'll be turning my lights out, but don't be surprised if you see a post or two from me during that time. I don't plan on turning off my computer. I'm not an environmentalist who thinks that all who use lights are murdering polar bears, but I can see that this is a nice thing to do and a symbolic gesture that I'm going to be a part of.

_EW_

First off, I hate Esurance (they seem to be the main advertisers for this event), Second, 1 hour? whats that gonna do? Third, WHAT IS 1 HOUR GOING TO DO TO HELP THE PLANET!? Fourth, if they do it to stores too, I'm going shopping!

imagine it, people smashing carts on accident, people getting to the payline and realising they didn't get one thing they wanted.

Oooh yea, stores better be tuning out for fun hour!

The point is, I'll be turning my lights out, but don't be surprised if you see a post or two from me during that time. I don't plan on turning off my computer. I'm not an environmentalist who thinks that all who use lights are murdering polar bears, but I can see that this is a nice thing to do and a symbolic gesture that I'm going to be a part of.
Same here pretty much. I am not going to shut down everything, I am not some super environmentalist, and I wouldn't have even known that Earth Hour was today if it wasn't for this thread, I just think it's a good thing to do.

No offence, but even if you did turn ALL of your electricity off for an hour, you wouldn't be a super environmentalist.

We're aware of that, thank you.

His point was that he's not the type of person to go all gung-ho at this type of stuff because he isn't a superenvironmentalist, whereas superenvironmentalists would think that keeping on your computer is blasphemous.

Your condescension skills are impressive though.

_EW_

How am I being condescending?

Also, I doubt even most "super environmentalist" are doing this. They're probably putting solar panels on their house and don't have time for something this stupid.

I hope you get something out turning your light for an hour though. /sarcasm

I can see that this is a nice thing to do and a symbolic gesture that I'm going to be a part of.

And that's exactly why I think this is pointless. Do you think that the majority of the people taking part in this are doing anything else that actually has a real, foreseeable impact? It seems to me that this is just a gimmick to make people feel better about themselves because they're "helping the environment."

I think a better environmental help would be to have everyone check for wasteful electricity use during that time, possibly over a week or month, rather than say not to use electricity.

I agree with basically everything Lord of Hunger said. We don't need to worry so much about "Global Warming" as we do about air quality, fuel costs, and preserving nature for our descendents.

No offence, but even if you did turn ALL of your electricity off for an hour, you wouldn't be a super environmentalist.
OK, well like Ender said that was not my point. I am probably not any more environmentally aware than the next guy. Anyways, it's over for me, back to normal. :p

^^Good regurgitation of this thread with no care for grammar and a good use of caps lock.

_EW_

Well it would have had proper grammar but lately i've been getting really angry, mainly at Microsoft for the RROD that just happened on my xbox, and my computer for being junk that won't allow kotor 2 anymore, and the fact that FF is going down, and at rockstar for not givin me my Lost and Damned on PS3 , so yea, I really don't care for grammar at the moment.

Archived