Home

Will you/have you turn(ed) the lights off on the Earth Hour?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then move it ^^

However, turning down electricity consumption at large scale will eventually cause power plants to produce less energy, up to the point of a shut down, simply because the electricity is can't be stored somewhere, so power plants produce only what is currently needed.

Even though Global Warming effects all of that??

I don't totally buy into the Global Warming thing, which is why I put quotes around it. I'd give reasons, but True Avery is right about this not being the place; you don't have to be a mod to know that.

*Jae gets back from weekend trip and reads thread, facepalming at all the sassing going back and forth*

Look, if you wanted to turn off your lights for an hour to contribute to environmentalism, great. If you didn't want to, fine. Either way, you all know more about some kind of environmental issues just by reading this thread than you might have otherwise, snarky comments back and forth notwithstanding.

I was out of town this weekend, and having dinner about the time of the proposed lights-out venture. Fortunately, the restaurant left the lights and power on so that we could actually have hot food and could see where it was on the plate. I probably wouldn't have turned my lights out completely at home, but I might have considered turning off as many as possible, if for nothing else than to lower my electric bill.

We make our contributions to environmentalism by feeding wild birds and recycling the stuff we're supposed to recycle, and occasionally participating in Cornell University's birdwatching studies--I've done the Christmas/New Year's day bird watching counts, and I signed up for eBird so I could report the Sandhill crane, Red-tailed Hawks, and Canada geese we saw this weekend.

Archived