Home

Time Warner's 40gb Bandwidth Cap (NO JOKE)

Kuuki

Signed?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Signed?

• Yes! I hate what they're doing!
    • No, I agree with them for doing so.
    • Not a customer.

Not sure if this is shown on other forums. But I could easily make this thread on RSN (but due to the traffic on there, i doubt it'll be seen much ;))

Article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/time-warner-cable-bandwidth-cap,7466.html

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009904050344

Time Warner Cable users will be limited to a 40GB download cap per month if the trials in Austin, San Antonio, and Rochester are successful. Overage charges will be $1 per excess gigabyte. This is in comparison to a 250GB cap from Comcast and no cap at all from Verizon Fios.

I am a RoadRunner user and I have a home network, which between my two computers, my two sister's, my father's, the Wii, PS3 and the ibook; Which ALL get used on a (varying from somewhat to) regular basis, we'd hit that 40gb within a DAY or TWO.

Being from the Rochester area, I will be effected by this, and the billing for the service, even if it would be a 'trail' peroid. This customer will not be subjected to such billing.

The plan here is already in set in motion to switch to AT&T for my internet, because they offer their DSL with no bandwidth caps. Might be a slight downer on the available performance of this type of broadband, but it's better then paying for a potential $100 internet bill.

As for anyone else who could also be effect, I ask that you join me in signing the petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/nocap/petition-sign.html

Yeah well, India's lovely Internet conditions means that my Unlimited account is a luxury (though it is 256, so that's a decent deal). Unlimited for any speed higher than that goes on getting less cost effective and then non-existent for more than 5 Mbps connections in most consumer-oriented ISPs.

Caps here are generally 1-3 GBs, so a 40 GB cap sounds pretty lenient to me (though I'd expire it in a day too, if I had the sort of speed you spoiled white people of first world overnations have).

I'm using the most basic AT&T DSL service, and it's been fine for me. It's around 1.3 Mbps for download, and .3 for upload, which is a massive improvement over my older dial-up. I'm not sure what the bandwidth cap is, but I know that I've never even gotten close to it, so I'm okay. It's around $20, so it's not that much expensive than my older NetZero, so it's been quite reliable.

Baw. :indif:

I'm stuck with dialup.

Is that why it took you that long to upload a new avatar Q? :xp:

I've got a 40Gb cap and I'm never even close to that limit, mind it's only me and the fiancee using it but still, we can download quite a bit if we want to...

It's only fair so everyone who's using it gets a fair share and a decent speed.

I think the closest I've come to the Comcast cap is like 150gigs in one month. And that was when Netflix first came to the 360.

Is that why it took you that long to upload a new avatar Q? :xp:

I've got a 40Gb cap and I'm never even close to that limit, mind it's only me and the fiancee using it but still, we can download quite a bit if we want to...

It's only fair so everyone who's using it gets a fair share and a decent speed.

Hey, if they don't mean unlimited, they shouldn't friggin' say unlimited.

No cap here (Knology).. but yeah, putting a bandwidth cap on such a low allowanca is pretty lame.

Making money off of your services is all well and fine (yay capitalism), but at least charge for reasonable allowances.

I could sneeze 40gb if I wasn't careful.. would definitely have to change careers or make my job pay for my account.. :xp:

The plan here is already in set in motion to switch to AT&T for my internet, because they offer their DSL with no bandwidth caps. Might be a slight downer on the available performance of this type of broadband, but it's better then paying for a potential $100 internet bill.

As for anyone else who could also be effect, I ask that you join me in signing the petition.

In our area, we have Time warner cable and AT&T DSL. I've heard so many complaints about TW service and downtime that we've never moved from AT&T. We have no problems--we have up to 3 of us playing Guild Wars and/or LOTRO while downloading music or other media, and there is some slowdown if we're doing all that at the same time, but otherwise we've been very happy with AT&T.

By the way, if any of you are in the US military, they give discounts to military members and their families. I suspect other carriers do likewise.

Archived