Home

Boxed Copy or Digital Download?

Jeff

Do you like boxed copies or direct download?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like boxed copies or direct download?

• Boxed games
    • Direct Download
    • No preference / whatever is cheaper

Well there's been lots of talk about OnLive recently and that has kind of got me thinking of the way the PC gaming industry is headed. So I'm curious, currently do you buy your PC games from a retail store like GameStop or Amazon, or do you prefer digital downloads from services like Steam or Direct2Drive?

Personally I still like having a boxed copy, but it seems like that is quickly going out of favor and it's probably also not as smart as you're not guaranteed that any potential DRM will let you play it, seems like it's all too common to hear about draconian DRM not allowing a game to be played at all. But seems like that is not an issue with Steam in my limited experience with it.

Also, I will not be so foolish to buy a boxed copy of something if it is cheaper on direct download. The only game I've bought from Steam is Left 4 Dead and I got it on the half off weekend.

I get my games in the *cough* digital format *cough*, as I've found that its cheaper than the alternative.

Seriously though, I'd support digital downloads over boxed versions, as the former stay forever, are a better deal if cheaper and have a lot of potential in the future (think OnLive, awomo and Steam Cloud).

I can't get games in digital format that easily (not having Visa/credit card makes it apparently impossible), so I buy the boxed versions at the moment. I'd rather have them in digital format, though. And the fact that it's supposed to be cheaper (although it isn't in Europe, I've read) makes even more attractive.

Boxed; That way, I can always have an archive that will last me forever, and can be resold, and does not need a constant Internet connection and background app to "authenticate" my copy. Steam is okay, but the constant need for it to run, and the price for retail games the same as the downloadable version annoys me.

Case and point: I still have the original Windows CD of Dark Forces, circa 1995. I bought it right when debuted via preorder, February 15, 1995, at my BestBuy. My CD has never been corrupted, scratched, or suffered any other misfortune, and even if it did get scratched, there's no DRM to restrict me from creating a backup archive. That's the beauty of a physical master copy; I can do whatever I want with it.

On second thought, there are a lot of older games that I want to play, but I'd have to buy a copy from a possibly unreliable secondhand source, which may charge a ridiculous amount for a CD. In that case, I would most certainly enjoy buying a digital version for GOG.com, since it is DRM-free, and runs perfectly on modern systems.

Always boxed - I had the option to buy Empire: Total War through Steam, yet the boxed copy was cheaper, and the full game is 15gb - well above my bandwidth limit.

I'm not against digital downloads, but, like PastramiX, it's nice to have collection of hard copies. Although, Steam does well with this because you (or rather your account) will always be able to play the games that are on it.

I do prefer a boxed copy, but I'll download a good Steam deal.

This. Spending 40 bucks on a game to have it digitally versus 50 for a physical copy is worth the lack of box any day. Plus with MMOs even if you do have a boxed copy, it would take forever to update it anyway :p

Really depends on the type of game for me. Single player/RPG/Shooter etc I'd prefer a boxed copy.. just for ease of installations, backups and whatnot..

For MMO's I actually prefer Direct Downloads (DDO does this) since they constantly update, It's usually easier to download the entire thing, updates and all with one fell sweep should you uninstall it (by choice or forced by crash). Plus, if an MMO tanks.. I don't have useless disks lying around cluttering up my already cluttered computer room.. hehehe

Since I backup everything anyways.. direct downloads have an equal opportunity to get mucked up just as much as me scratching a disk :lol:

I usually buy a boxed copy, and keep it shrink wrapped, and then procure a digital copy as well... in one way or another....

I prefer this method too, I got a small scratch on my Fallout 3 disk, if I didn't "aquire" a second copy I would be in pain right now.

It's prefer the boxes, direct downloads are subject to the venders competence, I prefer the boxed disks anyday.

I think the reason why things like Onlive are getting so popular is because of pirates, it's often much easier to pirate something than to suffer the consequences of DRM. Which can be crippling. I've heard stories of people having their CD burners completely disabled just because they installed Spore.

I'm not much of a PC fan, mainly because of having to suffer the adverse effects of wanting to use a laptop rather than a desktop.

So I'm curious, currently do you buy your PC games from a retail store like GameStop or Amazon, or do you prefer digital downloads from services like Steam or Direct2Drive?

I prefer getting my games with a box and manual (even though those tend to be more useless pamphlets stating the obvious than anything handy nowadays). Easier to keep track of where the game is and install/uninstall as needed. And for games that turn out to be classics you can replay every now and then years or even decades later you never know if the digital store copy is still there when you need it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived