Home

Polar Bear's are awesome...

Samnmax221

Naw...

She was walking by and thought the Polar Bears looked hungry, and this in addition to certain suicidal thoughts drove her to dive into habitat. So she was looking out for the Polar Bears, but then she backed out, turning it into a big tease for everyone involved.

Wow....what a suicide attempt it was then...

To share your death with hundreds of people.

Polar bears aren't awesome. The only thing out of Antarctica that's awesome is Pingu!
There are no polar bears in Antarctica...

These things are real predators and can "smell" you from miles away, run and swim very fast too...when hungry they don't hesitate to get into houses. They're nothing like the more "common bears".

With the notable exception of the Alaskan brown bear, yes. My point was that they are all dangerous and can kill you very quickly.

Depending on your point of view, that woman was either extremely lucky or extremely unlucky.

Mandy K is a single mother of a seven year old girl who had been unemployed and experiencing difficulties finding a job.

Not being able to provide for children can place any parent in a distressed state. Coupled with depression resulting from other circumstances affecting her life, she was a person experiencing great emotional distress...to which this reaction was an extreme response to.

Making fun of someone in a distressed mental condition is not funny. Mental illness can affect anyone at anytime, given the correct set of physical and social/emotional circumstances. Whether it's a soldier who served in Iraq/Afghanistan (etc) with PTSD or a teenage girl with an eating disorder, it is not funny.

Perhaps none of you making wisecracks has had a family member or loved one that suffers from mental illness or has ever been in a distressed emotional state?

I hope for Mandy and her family's sake that she gets the medical and counselling support she needs.

mtfbwya

Making fun of someone in a distressed mental condition is not funny.

No, you find it unethical and objectionable, that doesn't mean it's universally not funny. If somebody cracks a joke or makes fun of something, it's funny, at least to them. Declaring that something is not funny is an entirely subjective statement.

No, you find it unethical and objectionable, that doesn't mean it's universally not funny. If somebody cracks a joke or makes fun of something, it's funny, at least to them. Declaring that something is not funny is an entirely subjective statement.

Subjective? Can it be anything else? You also seem to be purporting an opinion on the nature of what constitutes humour, which is also "an entirely subjective statement." Perhaps come back with an empirical test or "Sabre Funny machine" so we can put this wayward speculation to rest !

Well done.

_EW_

well done you too. Is this your contribution to the topic? Hmm...yes...fascinating. :thmbup1:

self-righteous astro is the best astro

If 'self righteous' means adding to the discussion that this woman should be afforded the same care as anyone suffering acute mental distress, then self righteous it is ;)

mtfbwya

If 'self righteous' means adding to the discussion that this woman should be afforded the same care as anyone suffering acute mental distress, then self righteous it is ;)
Think what he means with 'self righteous' is that part when you trying to tell evryone what they are allowed to think is funny

Subjective? Can it be anything else? You also seem to be purporting an opinion on the nature of what constitutes humour, which is also "an entirely subjective statement." Perhaps come back with an empirical test or "Sabre Funny machine" so we can put this wayward speculation to rest !

To simplify:

Subjective Opinion: This is (universally) funny, this is not (universally) funny, this sucks, etc.

Objective Statement: Astro thinks this is not funny, I think this is not funny, Ender thinks this is funny, etc.

Ergo, when if you say that the joke is not funny, that is a subjective opinion saying that you think that the joke is not funny to anyone in the world, which is false because I think it is funny.

When I say that I find the joke the joke funny, that is empirical statement saying that I dunno about you homie, but I sure as hell lol'd, which is true, because I did.

To summarize:

This is not funny = False.

This is not funny, IMO = True.

All this talk of logic in a thread titled "Polar Bear's are awesome..." embarrasses me.

Archived