Home

SCUMM Revisited Range check error message - need help!!

Forceboat

I hope someone can help me. I am using SCUMM Revisited to extract the audio from the Smush Animation Files from Jedi Knight: Mysteries Of The Sith. But I have hit a snag. One of the files doesn't read right. The rest of them were smooth as glass, save one. I click on the trees until I come to the IACT where the audio is stored. I hit play so it can read it, but I come back with an error box that says "Range check error" . And I try decompressing it to a WAV. Part of it rips, but the end of it sounds like it's scratchy. I even contacted a friend and he uploaded a copy from his game of the file I am trying to work with, but I got the same result. Help!! How can I fix this problem? Is it a damaged file, or is there a way to fix the problem, or is there another program I can use?

Complete guesswork here, but range check error probably means that the sound file header reports a larger filesize than the actual filesize so when you save it, it ends up reading beyond the end of the sound and into whatever is stored next. That could cause the sound distortions.

I think I understand what you are saying. So that means that if there is even the slightest transition in the file, even a pause in the sound until it picks back up again, that will cause this error, correct? That's what I was afraid of. This was the only SAN file in the entire bunch that has this problem. So there is no way to fix it. Okay, well, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Archived