Home

What's your favorite "DVD Cut" of the Star Wars Trilogy?

Kurgan

Which "Version" of the Star Wars OT on DVD do you prefer?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which "Version" of the Star Wars OT on DVD do you prefer?

• 2004 "Special Editions"
    • "Theatrical Editions" on the bonus discs from 2006/2008
    • Other (please explain in your post)

I'm creating this new poll, since the 2006 editions have been out for 2.5 years now, and you can buy the whole series in one box set.

Of the ORIGINAL TRILOGY sets officially released on DVD, which "version" of each movie is your favorite?

If you prefer one version of a certain movie, choose "other" and please explain your opinion.

Me, I personally prefer all three Theatrical Editions myself, and wish they were treated better on the 2006 discs. However ROTJ will always be my favorite and the changes made to that movie over the years were, in my opinion, some of the worst. More of the changes to ANH I could accept, and ESB as well, but I still prefer the originals, at the end of the day.

So, let's get started! (Btw, Happy Easter!)

Well I only have the 2004 DVD set but I think I would enjoy the theatrical versions more if I owned them. I am with you Kurgan, changes in ANH and ESB are acceptable but RotJ has a lot of stuff I don't like. Though I suppose ANH has a few scenes that I could do without also, like Han not shooting first or the scene with Jabba, Han walking on his tail looks incredibly fake.

The real big changes have been there for 12 years since the gold trilogy VHS box sets, and it's Georges definitive vision, which I prefer TBH... The music at the end of ROTJ and the scenes of celebration emphasize the meaning and improve the end of ROTJ 10 fold IMO

Theatrical Editions for me. All they need is anamorphic transfer and a better soundtrack.

If they wanted to clean up the mattes around the ships and asteroids that would be nice, too.

Anyone who legitimately owns the movies should check out Star Wars Revisited, though. I think that it's the best compromise between the two versions. You get the flashy CGI effects of the Special Editions without all of the childish revisionist stupidity.

@Kurgan: it's good to see you here again. Stick around. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A New Hope: Revisited

The Empire Strikes Back: Revisited (for now)

If you watch them, you won't regret. Only ANH: Revisited is complete, TESB: Revisited is being worked.

The Empire Strikes Back: Revisited - Trailer

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Honestly, I think they're all horrible. Hopefully, the OT can, one day, get the treatment it deserves. Maybe they can hire Adywan? I just got Star A New Hope Revisited, and it's absolutely brilliant! I can't wait for Adywan's Empire to come out. So, I guess 'Other' would be my answer then.

Honestly, I think they're all horrible. Hopefully, the OT can, one day, get the treatment it deserves. Maybe they can hire Adywan? I just got Star A New Hope Revisited, and it's absolutely brilliant! I can't wait for Adywan's Empire to come out. So, I guess 'Other' would be my answer then.

It is known that some people at Lucasfilm, saw ANH: Revisited, and they liked it.

That's great. Hopefully, they take a page out of Adywan's book and release a quality version of the OT along with the unaltered OOT. It'd be awesome if they were to actually hire Adywan to work for them.

I don't think they will hire him, but instead, try to make a better version than Ady's.

• 1 year later...

I love the '04' Version of Empire Strikes Back actually , I thought it was just wonderful . Such slight Changes , compared to Star Wars , but they made such a big difference. I loved how green and colorful Dagabah is now , and thought the snow battle looked particularly great.

I altogether enjoy the '2004' version's of all the feature movies. And think they all have some really great changes in them. But Star Wars and Jedi are still a little bit of a 'Work in Progress' for me. I have multiple original version's of them on old VHS video , so that makes me happy as well.

I prefer Adywan's version as well. I'm not exactly happy with the 2004 edition.

Well , I think the guy's definitley talented for sure. No question there. And I do think those are some great Still's. And I do like a lot of his color correction. But as far as changes , what I've seen on YouTube has'nt really impressed me that much.

Have you seen his shot of Cloud City?

Here, take a look:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Yeah , I've seen that trailer , and those short clip's do look great. Probally the best clips that I've seen him do , and yeah , I've seen most if not all of his stuff. The guy is definitley talented. But See , I imagine that Lucasfilm will most likley do this and more to the movies. As far as color correction and needful enhancement of effects. It's just that we have'nt got there yet. The Star Wars feature movies are just now coming out on Blu-ray Disc . And we have'nt even seen those yet. And we cetainly are'nt even near the Ultimate Star Wars Anthologhy set and the Classic Trilogy on Blu-ray. But yeah , thanks for the vid man. That is a really nice trailer.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived