Home

What's the best RPG you've ever played?

Arcesious

I don't know if this has been done before but I figure, ah, what the the heck, I could use some recommendations for some good games to check out that I might not know about...

For me, it's a toss-up between Kotor and Morrowind...

Kotor is easy to follow, immersive, and fun. But Morrowind is the kind of sandbox RPG I've always wanted to play, because there's so much freedom to what you can do.

The pros & cons:

Kotor is great because it is perfectly made, and the story is awesome. but it's not a sandbox game. There just isn't enough freedom.

Morrowind is great because it's a sandbox game, and you have freedom to do anything you want. The problem though, is that Morrowind for the Xbox is extremely glitchy. Sometimes the game will crash every few hours, sometimes every few minutes. But as long as I clear the Xbox's Morrowind cache twice every time I play Morrowind and save often, it isn't a problem.

I wonder what Oblivion is like...

So, what about you people? What RPGs do you recommend? This isn't a debate over Kotor vs. the Elder Scrolls games, just a thread for opinions...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, you're playing one of the best ones :D

Oblivion is pretty fun.. better eye candy, but I like Morrowind better

of course KotOR & TSL should be in the list.. but..

Bladur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2

Neverwinter Nights (and expansions) are THE 3 games I couldn't do without in my collection.

NWN2 not so much :xp:

Are you looking for PC or Xbox games (or both)?

Give me five years, and I'll finally be able to buy and build a customized gaming supercomputer. Give this coming summer when school's out, and I'll be able to finally buy an Xbox 360.

As much as I love being able to mod games, at the moment I'm better off getting RPGs for a gaming console.

What is Baldur's gate, and what is Neverwinter Nights?

What is Baldur's gate, and what is Neverwinter Nights?

* dies heartbroken *

Only the bestest rpg games. evar. imo, that is. :lol:

Although it is a PC based rpg (but not really tasking avideo card as much as today's games).

As far as Xbox RPG's. I have Morrowind, Oblivion, KotOR, TSL, Mass Effect and Fallout 3 (more of a shooter/RPG though). Hopefully some people who've had an Xbox longer than I can point you to some other goodies :)

KotOR is #1 on my list. My other favorites are Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Neverwinter Nights 2. ChAiNz we are opposite on that, I like 2 better than 1, but I have never played the NWN1 expansion packs, only the OC. I'd also throw The Sith Lords in there. But for Xbox only, well I haven't actually played any RPGs on that system but one I am looking to buy is Fable II, more of an action RPG but I guess it still counts.

KotOR II, but I still haven't played PS:T yet, so that will probably change...
Torment is one that is on my to-play list also, I have the game, but have not gotten around to getting anywhere in it yet.

If we allow hybrids in this thread, I'll put up my usual all-time favourite Deus Ex, if you don't mind. >_>

If not, I'd say Golden Sun along with its sequel as the best RPG I've ever played (a view most likely echoed by my mate Maverick here).

KotOR's good and all, but Golden Sun + The Lost Age has been the most memorable RPG I've ever played.

1: Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines, a black universe, with excelent gameplay and story and no roads to sainthood (well, possibly one, or is that martyrdom?:xp:).

2: Planescape: Torment: no, I haven't finished this game, so this is from what I have seen so far.

Pros:

Best story ever

Few lawfull stupid guys around

Sidequest is done because you want, not because you must.

LOOOOONG game means it has max value for money

Cons:

Gameplay is far from good, unless you enjoy the Baldurs Gate ish system

LOOOOOOOOONG game means I have played it since autumn, and probably won't finish it before summer hollidays.

3: The Witcher

Pros:

Grey universe

Good storyline (though worse than the other two)

Choices matter, more than in any other game, and often long after you made them, with plenty of unintended cosequences.

Decent gameplay

Cons:

misogyny

Sometimes the greyness is over the top

4: NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Pros

Excelent story

"Good" choices will depend a lot on the person

Nice, mostly nenutral companions

Cons:

The combat system is far from stellar

5: TSL

Pros/Cons: you all know them

1. Mass Effect – So I don’t get drummed out of the Mass Effect fanboy club.

2. NWN – strictly because to the expansions and the fan made modules.

3. TSL

4. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (MotB only, it saved NWN2)

5. Morrowind – With all the mods out there you can fix the game to suit yourself.

6. Fallout 3/Oblivion – fun exploring games that can be modified to suit yourself.

1: Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines' date=' a black universe, with excelent gameplay and story and no roads to sainthood (well, possibly one, or is that martyrdom?:xp:).[/quote'] Don't forget the great soundtrack. :) I'm really having fun with this one again at the moment.

Planescape: Torment -- enjoy this one with patience. The dialog is rich. I remember a couple hour-long sessions that had no combat. I was quite attached to my NPCs by the end of the game. When it was over, I realized I hadn't ever been affected by an RPG like that. @Moeller: I was the same way with Baldur's Gate 2 -- had it for a long time before I got around to playing it. Think of it like having money in the bank.

I would also mention that Fallout and Fallout 2 have aged pretty well due to their turn-based isometric combat and excellent character development system.

* dies heartbroken *

Geez, ChAiNz, perhaps in that state I should neglect to mention that I hadn't really played BG till early last year. I wouldn't want to push you off a ledge. It was ok, but I'm not really into the whole D&D genre (ie swords/sorcerers thing).

...I was the same way with Baldur's Gate -- had it for a long time before I got around to playing it. Think of it like having money in the bank.

that's how it worked for me with KOTOR. Got it Xmas '04 and didn't start playing it till spring '06.

My overall exp w/RPGs is limited. KOTOR, TSL, Mass Effect (mimartin'd probably murder me if I forgot to mention this one :D ) and BG. Right now, as far as a favorite might be concerned I'd probably say a tie between KOTOR and ME. Liked the various charachters overall, though preferred the party changing abilities of KOTOR over the more limited and cumbersome options in ME. KOTOR would probably get the overall edge, though, due to the wider range of mods available.

I would also mention that Fallout and Fallout 2 have aged pretty well due to their turn-based isometric combat and excellent character development system.

Fallout 2's New Reno: Avellone the designer

Planescape: Torment: Avellone the writer

The Sith Lords: Avellone the sophisticated writer-designer

(My belief that TSL is better written than Torment will probably get me lynched but let me clarify: better written and structured, not more imaginative)

If not, I'd say Golden Sun along with its sequel as the best RPG I've ever played (a view most likely echoed by my mate Maverick here).
What???? Did somebody just say Golden Sun?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Golden_Sun__7_.jpg

First of all, if you owned a Game Boy Advance and you did not own Golden Sun and it's sequel, Golden Sun: The Lost Age.... FOR SHAME!!!

Secondly, I play a lot of RPGs, but I can try and rank a top 3...

1. Chrono Trigger - if you haven't played this game, GTFO... :p Oh, and I can't believe nobody mentioned this before me >:[

2. Golden Sun - see above

3. Final Fantasy - (if you make me pick a number, I'd go with 7)

Oh? You say you want more awesome RPGs listed?

JRPGs

Final Fantasy - some are better than others, but I haven't played any I detest

Shin Megami Tensei series' i.e. Persona/Nocturne/DDS

Kingdom Hearts <3<3<3 - kinda more of an action RPG

Dragon Quest is mighty popular

Tales of series is another series with a solid fanbase

Pokémon - :carms:

SRPGS

Final Fantasy Tactics.... awesome

Disgaea

Valkyria Chronicles - if you own a PS3 you are required to play this game

Luminous Arc - DS series, sort of an anime art feel

WRPGs

KotOR

Fallout

Mass Effect

Admittedly I don't play many WRPGs

I know I'm forgetting a crapload of good games, but I can't be bothered to jog my memory atm.

Best... Palladium System hands down; Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, TNMT, Macross/Robotech, Macross 2, Ninjas & Super Spies, Heroes Unlimited, and Recon.

Big props to Chaosium; Stormbringer, Call of Cthulu, Elf Quest, Rune Quest.

And the easy to learn and play WEG D6 Star Wars...

Also props to AD&D 2e because of the freedom of the system with character 'Kits' and many expanded rules sets that allowed even further customization.

Oh! Was this only about PC RPG's? :xp:

Like... still gotta play damn Golden Sun. It's won the poll of the most desired sequel some time ago at Gafaqs, beating KotOR 2. Gotta be either terribly good or amazingly unfinished.

Anyway, don't ask me to rate them, but my favorites are:

• Kingdom Hearts - I never thought I'd enjoy a game with Goofy and Donald as protagonists that much.

• Kingdom Hearts 2 - I never thought a Square game could beat the first KH.

• Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix+ - C'mon, it IS a new game. Aside from the incredibly new KH2 with a nice amount of additions, we've got the Chains of Memories GBA remake! Only on Japanese, though.

Also, I never thought I'd ever buy an enhanced edition of a game when already owning the original.

• KotOR 1 - Any need for explanations?

• Planescape: Torment - So, yeah, fight with your words. There.

• Final Fantasy VI - Lucky me for playing this on GBA instead of getting the (said to be) horrible Snes translation. By doing so, I could throughly enjoy an excellent storyline, mechanics that decided the path of the next FF games to come and Kefka. Yeah, you can't do without Kefka.

Final Fantasy VII - "OMGZ, OMGZ, THE BESTEST RPG ON THE WORLDZ *drools*". Not quite, but certain scenes and events that happened here won't ever cease to be pleasant memories.

• Final Fantasy X - New turn-based fighting mechanics, VOICED DIALOG! and some memorable characters were gold on this game. Despite the American Graffity like storyline

• Final Fantasy XII - The most underrated FF game in history, this one catched my attention for it's ability to complete suck you in the wonderful world of Ivalice. That, and the bravery to change the system so radically.

• Star Ocean 3 'Till the end of time - Eh, disregarding the game's last 4/5, it was a very enjoyable game. Up until the ludicrous plot twist, I was having tons of fun on this odyssey that oddly resembles Star Trek in many ways. But the best Tri-Ace game on the console for me was....

• Radiata Stories - Radiata. A simple city, heart to land with not-so-simple people, whom you must team-up with and add to your friend list. A light-hearted plot, with a protagonist that's simply comic, from the beggining to the end, but the story is conducted in such an ingenious way that even with his personality, we notice how much he matures during the adventure. Not mentioning "the choice" you have at about the middle of the game.

• Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (FES) - Dark story, dark gameplay, dark environment and bright game overrall.

• Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Take all that dark atmosphere from P3 and change it to rainy or foggy. Nevertheless, another amazing game of the fanchise and of Atlus.

Final Fantasy X is my favorite RPG of the ones I've played so far, because of its unique story. It kept surprising me all the way to the end!

Final Fantasy VI was the best of the the first six Final Fantasies (the ones with pixel graphics), but it still didn't have that great of a storyline, or very deep characters, IMO.

Morrowind was fun until I got over the "huge world, go anywhere, do anything" and discovered there wasn't much reason to go anywhere or do anything after beating the campaign... I think I like my RPGs focused more on story than sandbox.

KotOR of course is a given, why even list it?

Nox wasn't that original of a story (or perhaps game), but it had one of my favorite video game villains ever: Hecubah. Her voice acting was superb.

(There's a lot of great RPGs I still need to play...)

Final Fantasy XII - The most underrated FF game in history, this one catched my attention for it's ability to complete suck you in the wonderful world of Ivalice. That, and the bravery to change the system so radically.

QFT

FF XII was undoubtedly my favourite (if you couldn't already tell :lol:). The atmosphere was marvellous, and the characters all seemed more important to the story in their own right - no weak-link characters (like T3 in KotOR 1). AND, there was a better balance between cutscenes and actual gameplay. Finally, the villains were some of the best in any game I have played! While arguably not so memorable a Sephiroth in FF VII, they were still well-crafted characters.

I would have been glad to see a proper console sequel to this one - it's a pity that X-2 seemed to kill off all possibility of that...

I would have been glad to see a proper console sequel to this one - it's a pity that X-2 seemed to kill off all possibility of that...

I assume you already know about the DS game since you said "proper console". :p

At any rate, FFXII: Revenant Wings smells much more like RTS than actual RPG. And, while it can hook you up until it ends, it's nowhere as near satisfying as the original was.

I assume you already know about the DS game since you said "proper console". :p

Yep! It was the most recent game that I bought for the DS. Haven't finished it, though...I got to a stage where massive amounts of grinding are required in order to level up (the bit with meeting Balthier & Fran), so it got boring and was set aside...along with the DS...

At any rate, FFXII: Revenant Wings smells much more like RTS than actual RPG. And, while it can hook you up until it ends, it's nowhere as near satisfying as the original was.

Very true. Somehow, it just doesn't feel as engrossing - maybe a bit too linear and too much a matter of 'brute force wins'...sure, you have to plan which elements to bring into a fight, but overwhelming numbers/level also works a treat. The Galbana (or whatever anyone else called their ship!) though was a nice touch, at least I thought so.

Archived