Home

What's the best RPG you've ever played?

Arcesious

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if you look at the bottom, the rating change for Oblivion is explained, and, like Halo, it is be one of those M rated games that doesn't live up to the 'big, bad' [echoing deep voice]M rating[/echoing deep voice].

ESRB annoys me greatly sometimes. Look at how long it took me to get Halo. (it was a long time until my parents said 'you're mature enough') and it turned out that I had already played T-rated games that were near just as bloody and violent as Halo long before I ever came in possession of the game. (EX: Republic Commando)

In summary, never judge a game by it's rating.

Hehe, yea. I just looked up Oblivion and saw that. :lol: Seems like Mass Effect doesn't deserve its rating either, from what I've read about it.

I wouldn't say that. Maybe not for violence, but I don't think alien lesbian sex fits under the T category. :p

It's rated as a "12" by the British Board of Film Classification for violence and mild sexual content, I believe.

ESRB messes up a lot with ratings, but most of the time it's a justifiable rating. For example, Mass Effect... Yeah, from what I hear, the M rating is reasonable for that game.

I still wish that America used PEGI instead of ESRB. PEGI is pretty merciful with ratings.

Reading about Baldur's gate, well, those games seem too... graphically limited to me. Now, Oblivion- that game sounds fun, as do these NWN games.

Reading about Baldur's gate, well, those games seem too... graphically limited to me. Now, Oblivion- that game sounds fun, as do these NWN games.

Try playing Planescape: Torment, then say that. Anyway, as has been said, focus on the expansions when playing NWN(1/2), for added enjoyment, play as a shifter in hordes of the underdark.

Pong is freaking 'graphically limited', the rest of the great ones mentioned in this thread are worth you lowering your pixel expectations a few notches to enjoy.

:mad: How many hours did you waste on Mass Effect before you decided it was not worth you time? ;)

I use my powers for good, mimartin :(

:rofl:

*Jae hands Achilles a giant neon-green leotard with a big S on the chest and a glowing purple cape so he can use his powers for good*

mimartin, when the ball is spiked, you gotta set it.... :D

Pong is freaking 'graphically limited', the rest of the great ones mentioned in this thread are worth you lowering your pixel expectations a few notches to enjoy.

Ehh I kinda see what Arcman is getting to. Some games just last their graphics, some don't and get outdated. Pong is "graphically limited", but it suits its purposes, which is why it is fun. Baldur's Gate is something you really have to wrap your head around, because we've had RPGs like it that are far more realistic-looking.

That's what's kept me from completing System Shock 2, the graphics are just too old. But LA's adventure games, or Planescape: Torment and so on, I'd say they look beautiful.

except deus ex, if you think deus ex's graphics suck you have no soul

Ehh I kinda see what Arcman is getting to. Some games just last their graphics, some don't and get outdated. Pong is "graphically limited", but it suits its purposes, which is why it is fun. Baldur's Gate is something you really have to wrap your head around, because we've had RPGs like it that are far more realistic-looking.

That's what's kept me from completing System Shock 2, the graphics are just too old. But LA's adventure games, or Planescape: Torment and so on, I'd say they look beautiful.

except deus ex, if you think deus ex's graphics suck you have no soul

That reminds me that some of the really awesome RPGs are the old classic ones. Horrible graphics, but the story and setting prevail, and you sort've forget the bad graphics. I mean, look at Kotor, compared to nowadays graphics, it's very low-tech, but due to a good story and good gameplay, it remains awesome.:D

I have barely played Torment but the graphics seemed almost identical to Baldur's Gate. Sure games like Oblivion and NWN2 are much prettier but I think Baldur's Gate is still very playable.

My list:

Baldur's Gate Trilogy (the games, not specific things like BGT or BGT-WeiDU)

Pro(s):

1) Great idea, great side story, great companions;

2) Challenging game, this game needs strategies;

3) Lots of companions, each has stories, lots of different classes to try out. This means you can play it over and over again;

4) Great mods.

Con(s):

1) Unpatched BG or BG2 has lots, lots and lots of bugs;

2) Unmodded BG1 is not that rich of a game. I can even say it's boring. Main plot is nice though. If BG1 is not in the Trilogy I would not even recommend it.

3) While as a single player game balance should not be an issue, I do feel some classes and kits are very, very underpowered.

KotOR2: TSL

Pro(s):

1) Brilliant, brilliant story. Even if incomplete; especially brilliant if restored. nuff said.

Con(s):

1) Unmodded TSL is just too easy and its AI is...I hate to say, crap. Some are even hard to change, even if modded.

2) It's incomplete. Much of the plot is still broken. Waiting for TSLRP :)

NWN and NWN2

Pro(s):

1) System, the toolset and modules. This opens up a gate to excellent stories and fights: A dance with rogues, Aielund saga series, blackguard trilogy and etc.

2) NWN2: MotB has a great story.

Con(s):

1) The story of NWN1's OC and HotU aren't that great. If not for modules NWN would not be on my list. While SoU has a pretty good story, it is a bit too short.

2) NWN2's OC, like TSL, seems to be incomplete. It could have been so much better.

Planescape: Torment

Pro(s):

1) Its story is more than a game. nuff said.

Con(s):

1) While the idea of "powergaming" is absurd in this game, I do feel the rewards for alignments are not equal, it kind of "pushes" people to go on the road of "lawful good."

What do you mean?

MassEffect was exceptionally fun to play. I wish there was a bit more diversity in some of the armor and weapons, but still, quite entertaining.

Would have been nice for more interaction with other characters and I wouldn't have minded a few more encounters when visiting worlds either.

Still loved it. Graphically, it ruled.

I've probable spent the most time in Oblivion, and rightly so. The wonderful freedom of this game has no rival.

Fallout rocked, but I didn't like the max level. I was maxed before I finished half the game.

Still, mass carnage can't be beat.

However, nothing compares to the first time you play Knights.

...except for maybe the second.

What do you mean? [/Quote] Ctrl Alt Del is just needling me.

Fallout rocked' date=' but I didn't like the max level. I was maxed before I finished half the game.[/Quote'] Agreed.

However' date=' nothing compares to the first time you play Knights.[/quote']Except being a sneaky little wood elf with a bow. :xp:

Ctrl Alt Del is just needling me.

Yep, just can't ignore you. :xp:

And, you know I'll buy the second game, then wait for a week again, and by the time I get my hands on it, you'll have finished it three times.

But I've been on my fourth playthrough recently (Ready to leave the Citadel) and I'm beggining to appreciate a few details on the game more than I did on the past. However, I still just can't understand why create something as big as the Citadel and make practically unecessary to visit it again, since it'll be empty on meaningful NPCs after your first sweep through the Station.

It goes without saying my costumary complaints about the side planets.

Well, at least you can feel good about that. :p

Srsly, Achilles, I highly recommend Baldur's Gate 2. Yes, it's Bioware. No, the plot is not too cerebral, but it's better than anything else by Bioware, and it really isn't bad at all. You won't have had to have played the first game to enjoy the second. The intro movie will catch you up on the plot.

It's main strength is in it's combat. You really have to develop and use tactics in order to beat it. And it's a spellcaster's wet dream come true. The magic is awesome and just learning how to use it effectively (sequencers and contingencies FTW) is a game unto itself. All of the buffing can seem tedious at first, but once you develop a system for it you can do it quite quickly and it will become second nature. You be doing a lot of it because the battles are not for the squeamish. This game will kick your ass.

It's second strength is the party NPCs. As far as they go, well, it's like real life. Some are cool; some are a real pain in the ass. The cool thing about them is that they not only do they interact with you, they interact with each other as well, and in some ways that may surprise you. The NPC interaction is yet another game unto itself because you have to keep them happy or they leave suddenly and take the nifty items that you've given them with them. Love 'em or hate 'em, BG2 features some of the most lifelike party NPCs that I've ever encountered in a cRPG.

It's third strength is that it's D&D 2E, and so it's familiar to people like me who played AD&D back in high school and think that 3E+ is crap.

And I count the main villain's being voiced by one of my favorite movie bad-guys as a bonus.

Baldur's Gate 2 and it's expansion Throne of Bhaal offer at least 100 hours of gameplay and you'll find very little of it boring. You can get both boxed together on the cheap. :)

Did you use the high-res texture and high-res model mods that some people have released that give the game a slight facelift? It still feels old, but more acceptably so. :)

(I'd consider those as essential to playing SS2 nowadays as the Better Body/Head mods are for playing Morrowind.)

Archived