Home

What's the best RPG you've ever played?

Arcesious

Very true. Somehow, it just doesn't feel as engrossing - maybe a bit too linear and too much a matter of 'brute force wins'...sure, you have to plan which elements to bring into a fight, but overwhelming numbers/level also works a treat. The Galbana (or whatever anyone else called their ship!) though was a nice touch, at least I thought so.

Indeed, it was very... raw. You practically just have to considerate the strenght and weaknesses of each class (basically paper-rock-scissors) and their elemental powers. Could have been better.

And for some reason I named the ship Ebon Hawk. I know, I do that a lot. :lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kotor, VtMB, TSL, NWN2. I still need to play through NWN1 completely, along with BG2, along with PS:T, JE, ME, Deus Ex and Morrowind/Oblivion. I cannot bring myself to play Fable. After hearing my husband's character saying that cheesy "Heeeeeyyyy!" while pumping his fist, and the girlfriend/fiancee/wife swooning "I think I felt Albion move!!", I just can't take it seriously.

Of course, I got sucked into Guild Wars, then LotRO, then Rock Band, and GTA: Chinatown Wars on DS, along with a creative writing class this semester....

There may be a lot of CRPGs out there that are better in specific areas, but I have to say that Baldur's Gate 2 is the best all-around CRPG that I've ever played. It is not outstanding in any one area save combat, but overall it's the most fun that I've ever had with a CRPG. Bioware has yet to top it. They came close with KotOR, but KotOR isn't nearly as complex and as long as BG2.

Anyone who gets annoyed with how ridiculously easy most CRPGs are will love it.

Do not get Neverwinter Nights. Most terrible game, and IMO one of the most over-rated pieces of garbage to ever spew from the terrors of the gaming industry.

Seeing as you've almost certainly played K1 and TSL, I'd recommend Deus Ex and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, 2 brilliant games, although I haven't played the latter much.

Morrowind: Great sandbox game. In fact, probably the best sandbox style rpg I've ever played. Story is solid and the writing is above average (imho). Best on the PC due to number of high quality mods that take it from "good for it's time" to "wow!". If you do get Morrowind for the PC, install the expansions but don't play them. The features they add are very much worthwhile, and the areas themselves would be great as stand-alone games, but trying to play them in conjunction with the main story just sucks.

Oblivion: Better sandbox, but apparently they spent so much time on bells and whistles that they forgot to develop the story. If you just want to walk around a kill stuff, collect goodies, and do random side quests in a very pretty setting, play Oblivion. If you want to be engaged in any way, shape, or form play Morrowind.

VtM:B: Hard not to recommend this one. The settings feel confined (who knew that the streets in downtown L.A. were only about 10 feet wide :D), but that's a very minor complaint. Don't let your parents know you have this one ;)

NWN: When I got to Act II and I still wasn't the slightest bit interested, I uninstalled it and got rid of it.

NWN2: I'm a NWN2 fanboy. I think it's a fantastic game and I don't care who disagrees with me. MotB is even better.

The Witcher: I like Witcher. A lot. I also dislike it a lot too. The story has a lot of wholes in it. The devs deserve an A+ for effort for the enhanced edition, but I noticed a lot of (relatively minor) bugs. Most of gripes I have which are not related to the story itself are mostly related to my anal retentive style of game play. Even though this game failed to live up to it's potential, there is more than enough there to earn a recommendation.

KotOR: I liked KotOR for a long time, but I cannot recommend it. KotOR was the first game I played after a 14 year hiatus, and compared to Super Mario Bros. 3 it was indeed a whole new world. After playing some other games and seeing how much the industry really had changed, it became difficult to stomach KotOR's sophomoric writing.

TSL: Definitely an improvement on KotOR. The game itself was not as polished as it could have been but the writing more than makes up for it.

Mass Effect: Another Bioware tragedy. This game could have been so awesome. Mass Effect helped me to realize that Bioware is a company full of very talented, very imaginative game developers that really aren't 100% on board with the whole "story-telling" thing. I hope they continue to churn out really good ideas...that other developers can then use to make interesting games with compelling stories.

Baldur's Gate: Played it. Don't understand what the hype is about. FWIW, I think my opinion is obviously skewed by the fact that I played it loooooong after it originally came out. *shrugs*

Planescape:Torment: Really great game. Probably the best writing of any game listed here with a story that I would consider to be better than most. Obviously, you're not going to play this one for the graphics or the amazing DnD experience, but certainly a game you should play if you want to see why some people argue that this is an art form.

So to summarize, I would definitely recommend PC Morrowind (modded), Planescape:Torment, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, The Sith Lords, and NWN2/MotB.

I would definitely recommend not wasting your time with Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect or NWN1

Oblivion and The Witcher are games that you probably won't feel as though you've wasted part of your life playing, but probably shouldn't be at the top of your list either.

(My belief that TSL is better written than Torment will probably get me lynched but let me clarify: better written and structured, not more imaginative)
I got your back.

Play HotU. That's aimed at the people ****ting on NWN after playing the OC or part of the OC, which, while better than SotU, is crap compared to HotU.

No argument here. I rate SoU as equal to the OC in crappiness/boredom, whereas HotU was actually fun.

Morrowind: Great sandbox game. In fact, probably the best sandbox style rpg I've ever played. Story is solid and the writing is above average (imho). Best on the PC due to number of high quality mods that take it from "good for it's time" to "wow!". If you do get Morrowind for the PC, install the expansions but don't play them. The features they add are very much worthwhile, and the areas themselves would be great as stand-alone games, but trying to play them in conjunction with the main story just sucks.

Oh, yeah. I love Morrowind. After installing about 1GB of mods, I'm about to give it another playthrough.

Baldur's Gate: Played it. Don't understand what the hype is about. FWIW, I think my opinion is obviously skewed by the fact that I played it loooooong after it originally came out. *shrugs*

Did you play Baldur's Gate 2? They're two very different games, IMO.

Baldur's Gate 2 was alot of fun. So was Icewind Dale 1 & 2. The later being my most favourite. Sadly I never got to finish IWD2 because it bugged out at at the chapter where youre supposed to make some potion or something. Couldnt even cheat code out of it. :|

NWN was boring compared to the other mentioned games.

I just finished FF7, and I can't help but feel this is the most over-hyped RPG I've ever played. The characters are rather stereotypical, and the translation really could use some work. The story was interesting, and had a few cool parts, but overall wasn't exactly outstanding. The graphics haven't aged well, either. I guess I'd be more impressed with it if I'd played it when it first came out (though I was only 8 yrs old then). Now it just seems like other games have done the same thing better. I was hoping for a little more because of all the hype associated with it.

Play HotU. That's aimed at the people ****ting on NWN after playing the OC or part of the OC, which, while better than SotU, is crap compared to HotU.

Too many unfamiliar acronyms...

Too many unfamiliar acronyms...

NWN = Neverwinter Nights (1)

OC = Original/Official Campaign (of Neverwinter Nights)

SotU = Dunno, but if you drop the t: Shadows of Undrentide, the first NWN expansion pack

HotU = Hordes of the Underdark, the second NWN expansion pack

:)

I just finished FF7, and I can't help but feel this is the most over-hyped RPG I've ever played. The characters are rather stereotypical, and the translation really could use some work. The story was interesting, and had a few cool parts, but overall wasn't exactly outstanding. The graphics haven't aged well, either. I guess I'd be more impressed with it if I'd played it when it first came out (though I was only 8 yrs old then). Now it just seems like other games have done the same thing better. I was hoping for a little more because of all the hype associated with it.

Unfortunately, I've found that listening to and trusting hype leads to almost inevitable disappointment.

I first played it not long after it came out, without having heard any of the hype other than a friend (the one who gave me it) saying 'it's a good game'. I found the overall depth of the world and the quantity of optional quests, characters, powers, fights and weapons to be one of its strengths. Not to mention how long it is - I was at the game weeks before I was off the first disc! Compare that to the bulk of modern games, where you get 20-30 hours of gameplay at most - some far less than that (TFU - 8 hrs).

As for the characters, they may have been, to some, 'stereotypes' - but at least all had a significant story attached to them - and that's nine characters.

Yes, many games have taken elements from the game - but that to me attests to its popularity and success. Bear in mind that those who took such elements have had twelve years to improve on them. And there are many who would say that there hasn't yet been a game that surpasses it. Even the graphics at that point were remarkable - consider that it was the first 3D FF game, and the limitations of the systems available at the time.

Sorry to hear that you weren't particularly impressed with it, though. :( To each his own!

Out of the two RPGs I've played, I like TSL. ;)

Are there any (besides K1 and K2, of course) that ya'll would recommend? I'm not really interested in anything rated M, because I've found that most M-rated stuff just isn't enjoyable. Also, if it only comes on Xbox, I'm toast. :lol: I stick with PS3 and PC.

Are there any (besides K1 and K2, of course) that ya'll would recommend? I'm not really interested in anything rated M, because I've found that most M-rated stuff just isn't enjoyable. Also, if it only comes on Xbox, I'm toast. :lol: I stick with PS3 and PC.
Read the thread. :p Lots of good RPGs listed and recommended. A few are rated M like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 but it's not for the typical blood and gore you expect from R rated movies, they just have mature themes and probably would not be as good with a lower rating. But NWN and NWN2 and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are T as well as a bunch of others. All the ones I mentioned are for PC, Fallout 3 is for PS3 as well (though I heard out of the 3 platforms for Fallout 3 PS3 is the worst).

Read the thread. :p Lots of good RPGs listed and recommended. A few are rated M like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 but it's not for the typical blood and gore you expect from R rated movies, they just have mature themes and probably would not be as good with a lower rating. But NWN and NWN2 and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are T as well as a bunch of others. All the ones I mentioned are for PC, Fallout 3 is for PS3 as well (though I heard out of the 3 platforms for Fallout 3 PS3 is the worst).

I read the thread, but there are so many things mentioned, I have no clue which ones to look into! :lol:

Ah, well. Time to start the tedious process of going through the wiki! ;)

Thanks for the advice. :) I'll start my RPG search with...(flips coin)...Baldur's Gate! :p

Unfortunately, I've found that listening to and trusting hype leads to almost inevitable disappointment.

Yeah, but not always. I heard a lot of good things about System Shock and MGS, and they lived up to what I'd heard about 'em when I played them...

Sorry to hear that you weren't particularly impressed with it, though. :( To each his own!

I did like it, just not as much as I thought I would. I'd seen the game (particularly a certain emotional scene) mentioned in a few discussions of video-games-as-art, but I don't really agree with them. I didn't feel that sad at that scene (though perhaps that's because I unfortunately got spoiled before I saw/played it). So while I understand its importance/influence on the industry for being one of the first to do something like that, I don't think it's one of the best or most artistic games [anymore]. Influential, certainly, but not best.

/opinion

Out of the two RPGs I've played, I like TSL. ;)

Well, if you look at the bottom, the rating change for Oblivion is explained, and, like Halo, it is be one of those M rated games that doesn't live up to the 'big, bad' [echoing deep voice]M rating[/echoing deep voice].

ESRB annoys me greatly sometimes. Look at how long it took me to get Halo. (it was a long time until my parents said 'you're mature enough') and it turned out that I had already played T-rated games that were near just as bloody and violent as Halo long before I ever came in possession of the game. (EX: Republic Commando)

In summary, never judge a game by it's rating.

Archived