Home

Force Unleashed gets ported to PC (Nov 3, 2009)!

rugal

Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?

• I'm excited!
    • I'm angry.
    • I don't care.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're just porting this game to suck another $50 from you all who have already paid for it once already, the last thing they care about is if you can mod it or not.

Oh yes, they're definitely not porting the game to make the game available for purchase for PC gamers who don't own TFU yet. It clearly makes more sense to only appeal to those who already own it. You're a genius.

It's just gonna be another lame PC port anyway...

Aspyr Media is handling the port, take from that what you will. They've done the Jedi Knight series and a whole bunch of other games to Mac before. They're not exactly green on that front. But you seem to know more? Do tell.

LEC has been supportive of modding in the past, but it will depend on the tools they use on TFU whether or not they can be released easily. Ease of use, stability and use of licensed software from other vendors come to mind as plausible pitfalls.

Oh yes, they're definitely not porting the game to make the game available for purchase for PC gamers who don't own TFU yet. It clearly makes more sense to only appeal to those who already own it. You're a genius.

I'm aware that people want to play it on PC that wouldn't/can't on a console. Welcome to the Internet, where not everyone's statements mean 100% what you might think.

Aspyr Media is handling the port, take from that what you will. They've done the Jedi Knight series and a whole bunch of other games to Mac before. They're not exactly green on that front. But you seem to know more? Do tell.

LEC has been supportive of modding in the past, but it will depend on the tools they use on TFU whether or not they can be released easily. Ease of use, stability and use of licensed software from other vendors come to mind as plausible pitfalls.

TFU isn't some FPS they're gonna release a map editor for. Since you've obviously proved me wrong, perhaps you can explain how easy it will be to release a modding toolkit for a game that is using 3 different engines rolled into 1 that's simple for modders to use?

Welcome to the Internet, where not everyone's statements mean 100% what you might think.

Which is why one should take careful note to pay attention to what they're writing. You posted absolute nonsense, I made you aware of that.

TFU isn't some FPS they're gonna release a map editor for. Since you've obviously proved me wrong, perhaps you can explain how easy it will be to release a modding toolkit for a game that is using 3 different engines rolled into 1 that's simple for modders to use?

You seem to have misunderstood my point. You also seem to confuse "not releasing modding tools with a game" with "dirty money grabbing *******s porting for a quick buck how dare those sinful devils abuse us so" (slightly exaggerated). Sometimes it's easy (all their own tools, and friendly to use) sometimes it's not (heavy use of licensed sofware, the need to replace that with new solutions). We'll see what they'll do. Condemning their efforts already seems rather premature at this point.

You seem to have misunderstood my point. You also seem to confuse "not releasing modding tools with a game" with "dirty money grabbing *******s porting for a quick buck how dare those sinful devils abuse us so" (slightly exaggerated). Sometimes it's easy (all their own tools, and friendly to use) sometimes it's not (heavy use of licensed sofware, the need to replace that with new solutions). We'll see what they'll do. Condemning their efforts already seems rather premature at this point.

There are plenty of good ports that never got mod tools. Mass Effect comes to mind. I guess they could later, but doesn't seem likely. Maybe they just wanted to be be nice by bringing it over to the PC? They don't need the money, I guess, right? I'm not confusing anything. These companies are out here to make cash. There's no obligation to release tools, nor should they be expected. If they do, cool, if they don't, oh well.

In this situation, AFAIK, none of the engines/systems were developed by LA, so you're latter description fits more appropriately, I think.

This discussion has interested me though. If someone could provide me an example of a popular console game (or any game, I guess), ported to the PC at a much later date, and AFTER the port, received modding toolkits (and not just some lame map editor), I would like to know what games these were. I'm sure it's been done, but I would like to know by who/for what games. LA...anyone.

What's wrong with a lame map editor? Custom maps are arguably the best form of fan-made content. Documentation, Tutorials and consumer-friendly map tools don't grow on trees.

You also don't require the source in order to make modifications. Not if you want to implement extra abilities but if you're out to tweak the data values you're home free (given that you can read the data like the formats you mentioned earlier).

I believe Halo had some extra tools released, that fits your precedent description. Not that the inclusion of tools with TFU will depend on such precedents.

So a map editor would be satisfactory for a game like TFU? High ambitions there. I don't know, an action game like this just needs more modding capability than a basic map editor, and what would you do with it? MP would be cool, but I don't think it's in. Create new SP levels? Well, there's one positive about this whole thing, if they pulled it off.

Of course my described scenario won't be a factor whether tools actually do get released or not, I was just curious which games under similar circumstances actually did receive tools/support for modding.

I only hope they'll make the porting well, don't mess up camera movement and controls.

Map editor wouldn't be bad, but I hope there'll be a character editor as well (making a simple, arena-like map, put in 200 Stormies with Jar-Jar skin, then smash 'em!)

The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition

The big news dropped on the Comic-Con audience by LucasArts came in the form of The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition. This Fall LucasArts will release a new downloadable level for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. It re-imagines the Star Wars Saga as if the Secret Apprentice had taken Darth Vader’s place at the Emperor’s side after the events of the original game and is going to let you explore the deepest, darkest side of the Force. The game expands the original The Force Unleashed levels with new levels set on Coruscant and Tatooine, and an all-new level set on Hoth.

It’s a what-if scenario, “the secret apprentice is sent to Hoth with a mission to crush the Rebellion once and for all, and along the way he’s going to come up against Luke Skywalker!” described Shell. The Ultimate Sith Edition will be available on Mac and PC too.

More than just words, the presentation showcased a debut video trailer for The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition which you can see here.

Source

It's an official source, so I believe in them.

The Hoth level is only available for the Ultimate Sith Edition. Which mean we have to buy another copy of the game in order to be able to play it.

That makes no sense. Why not simply put it out as a DLC like the new Tatooine DLC? We paid good money for ours when it first came out but you want us to buy the same game again but this time it already has the DLC with it in addition to the new Hoth DLC?

Is it? How about copyright?
Since when copytights and emulation are related?

copyright can be violated without using an emulator program

an emulator can be used without violation copyright

you need to do you homework, all I needed to play TFU on my PC is my legal copy of TFU fpr PS2, which I inserted in my PC dvd drive and a bios copy I dumped from my PS2, which is perfectly legal.

Did I say they were?

Yes you did. By linking them with link word "and":

Isn't it against the rules to talk about emulation and piracy?

Instead of being a troll, why don't you rejoice we can play TFU on PC at 100%

This is the sort of announcement that makes me glad I didn't bother with the DLC...

Since PC is almost always superior for games, and this thing is going to have a bonus level as well as the DLC, I might just consider trading in my PS3 game for it!

LA seems to be on a bit of a roll - two (half) decent announcements in a row? (Old games on Steam) :lol:

Instead of being a troll, why don't you rejoice we can play TFU on PC at 100%

Instead of you being a troll, why don't you read what I've posted before? Everybody knows that TFU will be on the PC.

Post #11 in case you didn't noticed it. Besides, the TFU forum here, already stated that.

This is why I bought the game used for wii :p

Now I can buy this for my new mac. I am really surprised it is coming out for mac, seeing as there seems to be this thing with LA about not porting any star wars games I like to mac.

I personally think this is a slap to the face for everyone that bought the game the day it was released. You are telling me that the only way to get the HOTH level is to buy the whole game again? That's insane. They should release a patch to make the regular edition into the Sith Edition, giving us the chance to pay for the content offered exclusively on the Sith Edition as DLC. I liked the original game but waited patiently for a patch to fix some of the issues with the game and it never came. Now, they are telling me a loyal fan, that the version I have is basically obsolete, and that I have to buy a new version. Personally if this is the case, I won't buy any games from LucasArts anymore, or I will wait until they release a second edition of each game before purchasing them.

Archived