Home

Force Unleashed gets ported to PC (Nov 3, 2009)!

rugal

Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?

• I'm excited!
    • I'm angry.
    • I don't care.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm mildly interested by this. A year ago I would have been excited to the point of numbness,

but after playing the Wii version... well let's just say that it was the worst slap in the face I've ever

had from something with the Star Wars brand. Heck, I thought Force Commander looked like a gem

next to it.

Problem is, I don't know if it's just the Wii version that was absolute trash, or if my standards are

simply too high. Truth be told, I have yet to see a game from the current generation that blows me away.

I don't know if it's just the Wii version that was absolute trash, or if my standards are simply too high.

From what I've heard from those who have played the Wii version, saying it is 'trash' doesn't sound

too far from true. Certainly, it doesn't seem at all on par with the benefits of the next-gen (surely it

must be 'this-gen by now?) versions. The PS3 presentation was playable for a good ten to twelve hours,

I'd say...once through, once again, while collecting holocrons. Then the dlc, etc.

Truth be told, I have yet to see a game from the current generation that blows me away.

If 'current generation' means post-TSL, I wholeheartedly agree.

Well im gonna love to see what they do control wise since every button

on the controller was a different power and since they can't do what JO and jka did since it would be

impossible to combine force powers.

well, i always used the f keys for force powers, and its easy to combine powers that way,

but its not practical in JK. GripDrainnLightning(+optional Throw) is devastating, but you can only

keep it up for a second or two before your force meter runs out. (unless, of course you bind 'Give Force'

to a key. in that case, you can combine sense, absorption, protection, heal, grip, drain, lightning, and rage,

if you have enough fingers.)

Wii versions is trash next gen ones which the pc will get is maybe rentable

game buy if really like it.

From what I've heard from those who have played the Wii version, saying it is

'trash' doesn't sound too far from true. Certainly, it doesn't seem at all on par with the benefits of the

next-gen (surely it must be 'this-gen by now?) versions. The PS£ presentation was playable for a good

ten to twelve hours, I'd say...once through, once again, while collecting holocrons. Then the dlc, etc.

Before the game was released, I expected the controls to make or break the Wii version. When I

played it, I was surprised to see that the controls really weren't bad, it's the dumb gameplay and

atrocious level design that rubbed me the wrong way (graphics were also an eyesore, but I consider

myself a pragmatic player who can ignore graphics and focus on gameplay when needed). That's pretty

much why I question my standards since I would believe that the X360/PS3 version is roughly the

same thing, only prettier.

But then again, perhaps that's the point of the game: to look pretty while you repetitively cleave

down enemies. Though if that's the case, I hope this won't become the norm in gaming.

well, i always used the f keys for force powers, and

its easy to combine powers that way, but its not practical in JK. GripDrainnLightning(+optional Throw)

is devastating, but you can only keep it up for a second or two before your force meter runs out.

(unless, of course you bind 'Give Force' to a key. in that case, you can combine sense, absorption,

protection, heal, grip, drain, lightning, and rage, if you have enough fingers.)

I know what you mean. The more powerful force powers should be more difficult to perform.

Of course the enemies already do it, so why not make it easier for the player as well?

I can't believe I only learned about this today. It makes me remember my arguments on a thread

here since before TFU was released for consoles about why Lucas Arts' "It won't come out on PC

because it can't run on PC" story was utter BS. I'm so glad they proved me right and I am looking

forward to this game, despite the negative impressions I heard. After all, it's Star Wars and I've

been itching for some Star Wars action for quite a while now.

Okay, everyone can relax now... moved to the appropriate forum and merged. ;)

The DVD-ROM is $36.99 for pre-order on Amazon. Release date: Nov 3, 2009 (same as the other

platforms of Sith Edition).

51ABw9EK2fL._SS420_.jpg

Amazon.com page

Amazon says:

* Use the Force like never before with devastating attacks and combos on enemies

* Discover the untold story of Darth Vader's secret apprentice and the major events in the

Star Wars universe after the rise of the Empire

* Digital Molecular Matter technology lets you feel the true power of the Force; Objects in the environment

break, bend, shatter, splinter and shift as they would in real life

* Enemies are influenced by euphoria, a behavioral technology that allows characters to react in different

and unique ways every time you play the game, whether they are jumping to safety or on the receiving

end of your Force power and lightsaber attacks

Here are the quoted system requirements according to this site:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition

System Requirements*

Intel CPU - Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz

AMD CPU - Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-52

Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 6800 GS

ATI & Intel Graphics Card - Radeon 9800 Pro

RAM - 1 Gbs

Hard Disk Space - 7 Gbs

Direct X - 9

* System requirements displayed are based on recommended system requirements and should be

used as a guide only.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=727&game=Star%20Wars:%20The%20Force%20Unleashed%20-%20Ultimate%20Sith%20Edition

Not so bad... Looks like all I need is some more RAM and I can play this one.

I hope there will be a playable demo!

I might be a bit interested... though I hope they do something with the Multiplayer, because from

what I've seen the offerings for TFU were pretty meager. If this is going to just be a single player

focused game, it won't begin to satisfy JK fans, hungry for another entry in that

best-of-all-Star-Wars-games series!

But, it's good to see it's happening finally... I feel "less snubbed" by LucasArts now. Of course

I have low expectations about multiplayer, and am even less hopeful about modability.

For nostalgia's sake, let's look at this article from early 2008:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/force_unleashed_dev_reacts_to_pc_gamer_outcry.html

(interview with Cameron Suey, producer of TFU on the Xbox 360 and PS3):

"In this case, it just really wasn't feasible. As much as I really understand everybody's

concerns and I really understand that people want to play the game on their platform of choice,

the truth of it is, the way this game is designed, based around these physics, that are simulation

based and very procedural, it would take a very powerful PC to pull them off. This is definitely

stretching the Xbox and the PS3 really to the farthest they can go.

"And yet high-end PCs definitely would be able to do it. Traditionally the way you get a game on

multiple PCs is you have to scale the graphics down, right? Unfortunately physics, especially procedural

physics, it's impossible to scale it and if you did scale it or turn it off or turn it down it would

fundamentally change the way the gameplay works. It would just be too limited for us. It was a

difficult decision to make but you can't scale the physics."

I guess we can "scale the physics" twelve months later, huh? What's funny is that if the above

system reqs are accurate, then this game really isn't "that high end" after all. Most modern games

require 1 gig of ram (which is why I haven't played many of the recent crop of games). Yet, the

Ghostbusters video game is an interesting case, because it required TWO gigs of Ram, yes, 2!

Sadly, that game on the PC totally CUT OUT the multiplayer component (but the consoles had it),

which really made me sad.

In any case, let's hope that this game isn't just another "fire and forget" title with no support

on the PC. They made us wait 14 months... I hope it was worth it!

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition

System Requirements*

Intel CPU - Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz

AMD CPU - Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-52

Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 6800 GS

ATI & Intel Graphics Card - Radeon 9800 Pro

RAM - 1 Gbs

Hard Disk Space - 7 Gbs

Direct X - 9

* System requirements displayed are based on recommended system requirements and should be used as a guide only.

... those reqs are pretty low for a new game... and thats making me worried...

but on the other hand, it means that the comp im using doesnt need any upgrades for the game even though its mainstream.

Well first off, those might NOT be the final specs, second, this is for a game that is a year old...

What is the part that's making you worried, that you think this game won't look "as good as other games coming out this fall" or that it has been "drastically scaled back" as the old interview implied was the only way to make this game a reality on the PC?

Frankly I wouldn't worry about the last bit. I think it was spin and damage control. The system obviously works, and it's not the graphics that are the issue. Either mid-level PC's really weren't up to snuff 14 months ago, or else he was just saying that when the real reason was they wanted to suck as much profit out of the game as they could by having it as a console exclusive (console owners having to pay more for games, piracy is generally harder, if they don't want people to edit it to make mods, they can't, etc) and they can take their time and save money on the Q&A that's necessary for a PC game (having to test it with a lot more hardware configurations and patch if necessary to make it minimally playable on most systems).

Now just going by videos I've seen and screenshots (since I've never played the actual game), the graphics for TFU are better than JA. I'm sure there are going to be games out this year that look better than that, but graphics aren't the end all, be all. Ultimately it's the gameplay that matters. This game was advertised on the fact that you could levitate people and throw stormtroopers around with lightning and play as an evil Jedi. If the game does that, and does it well, I'm happy. Though if it that's ALL you can do, and it doesn't have robust multiplayer, then it won't hold the attention of JK crowd (which will have had nothing to do with graphics anyway).

Archived