Home

Force Unleashed gets ported to PC (Nov 3, 2009)!

rugal

Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Force Unleashed is finally coming to PC: How do you feel?

• I'm excited!
    • I'm angry.
    • I don't care.

Though if it that's ALL you can do, and it doesn't have robust multiplayer, then it won't hold the attention of JK crowd (which will have had nothing to do with graphics anyway).
Definitely no multiplayer in the upcoming release unless LucasArts announces it between now and when it's released. There was multiplayer on the Wii version, but it was not done very well and was basically just 2 characters slashing away at each other, no realistic lightsaber clashes or anything. The only cool part was that there were 20+ characters from the OT, PT, and EU to choose from.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a shame... so I take it the PS3/360 had none? The vids I saw must have been the wii version then, and yeah, it seemed pretty minimal and lackluster.

If the game lacked it already, I wouldn't expect them to develop it just for this release (this seems like a pure cash-in, like those "Game of the Year Editions" other titles get). Still, how hard would it be to just port the Wii version (even if it were basic)?

There is only so much modding can do, but if it were at least present, and modding was approved, it might be possible to tweak it into something worthwhile (but then if people don't take to the game in droves, then it won't happen, because the interest won't be there in the first place!). Since split screen gaming isn't that popular on the PC, I can see why they wouldn't bother.

Yep, no multiplayer on any version except the Wii. It was stupid reasoning for not putting it on 360/PS3, they said

something like it was to make up for what the Wii lacks compared to the other versions (graphics, physics, etc).

And yeah, this is exactly like a GotY edition which normally include all the DLC like this does, except TFU didn't win any GotYs so they had to call it something else. :p

Hopefully people can at least create new models and skins for the game, if not more. We'll see if anyone is interested enough to even try.

To be honest, I think that they're using the Wii port as the basis for the PC version; the requirements are very low

compared to any other 360/PS3-based PC ports (Particularly the requirement of a 1.6 GHz CPU; that just meets

KotOR I's standards, and that lacks a true physics system). Same goes for the supported GPUs; both the 9800

and 6800 are five-year-old cards.

Well if that were the case, then we could probably expect the multiplayer to be ported with it, right?

Instead, I got the distinct impression (maybe I'm mistaken) that this was based on the PS3/360 version.

Surely today's consumer PC's are at least as powerful as the PS3/360 (3 and 4 year old technology,

respectively).

I mean, why not say it was based on the PS2 version? That was scaled down as well, right?

Then again, if they really wanted to (but this might require actual work) they could have the single

and multiplayer be separate exe's (like JA and JK2 had for their Single and Multi modules) and use the

360/PS3 for Single, and the Wii for MP. I take back what I said about "split screen." That was clearly

inaccurate, since the (wii) video I saw showed two Jedi running around ("Soul Calibur" style, or like in

the Episode III console game) fighting each other. So they could duplicate that with online content if

they wanted to (or make it "hot seat" only, like LEGO Star Wars 1/2). That would SUCK if that's all we

got for MP, but at least it would be SOMETHING. Though if you couldn't even use your new powers or

skills, it would just be a poor man's JA.

Hopefully there will be some kind of official announcement, developer interview or in-depth review to

clarify these things. Otherwise I guess we don't have long to wait to find out...

So as of right now, I'm going to just assume this game has no multiplayer until I hear or see otherwise

(and if it does have multiplayer, I'll expect nothing beyond what was in the Wii version).

However I will refrain from bashing anyone (Aspyr, LucasArts, etc) for it until my worst fears are confirmed

(and I hope I'm wrong!).

This game really DESERVES to have well polished multiplayer, but it seems we haven't gotten that out of

a Star Wars PC game in a long while, sadly.

Interesting Preview here (*warning: SPOILERS*)

That sounds like it will be a port of the Ultimate Sith Edition on consoles, so if there's no Wii version of USE,

then that sort of rules out that theory...

Yeah, sounds like the PC version is definitely the same as

the console versions. I would imagine that if your PC meets only the minimum requirements, you'd have to

play the game on lowest settings. I imagine what the console version looks like would be what the PC version

looks like on highest settings. But that is understandable I think.

Well first off, those might NOT be the final specs, second, this is for a game that is a year old...

i got the spiderman 3 game a while ago, and it was released in 07. compare the specs:

CPU: 2.8GHz

(Intel): Pentium 4 2.8GHz

(AMD): Athlon 2800+

Graphics Card: 256mb DX9.0c

(Nividia): GeForce 7300 256mb or better

(ATI): Radeon X1300 256mb or better

RAM: 1gb

Storage: 5gb of uncompressed space + 400mb for the Windows swap file

What is the part that's making you worried, that you think this game won't look

"as good as other games coming out this fall" or that it has been "drastically scaled back"

as the old interview implied was the only way to make this game a reality on the PC?

that it won't look as good. but i'm also wondering if 1.6GHz can handle those physics and AI...

Now just going by videos I've seen and screenshots (since I've never played the actual game),

the graphics for TFU are better than JA.

aren't all games nowdays better than JA graphics wise?

on a different note: that mask/helmet... it looks like a cross between Mandalorian and Ubese... how odd.

guy on the cover looks great. all those sabers... grievous-esque tophies? and is that a saber staff

i see among them...?

Yes, I will consider this a "console game ported to PC." That may or may not be a bad thing,

we'll see, but I am under no illusions that this was built from the ground up for PC gamers!

Sort of like how KOTOR was originally a console exclusive, then was later ported to PC,

and that seemed to have turned out okay. Or it may turn out like the PC SW Battlefront,

which despite when it was released, felt like it had been "dumbed down" (what people sometimes

call "console-itis," where a PC game is just a slavish clone of the console, not taking advantage

of the PC format at all).

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but weren't the PC versions of Spider-Man 2 and 3, REALLY dumbed

down on the PC (like, even from the console versions)? It might be that in that case the high

system requirements were because they didn't do much to try to optimize it for the PC (though

I'm no tech expert).

aren't all games nowdays better than JA graphics wise?

That's just saying that every new game looks better than the Q3 engine. I frankly don't care

about "all games," only games that render Jedi swinging light sabers and throwing lightning

around in a futuristic setting. ;)

Of course JA came out in 2003. A game released six years later, BETTER have superior graphics,

if for no other reason than the march of technology... but yeah, ultimately that will take a

backseat to the quality of the game play.

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but weren't the PC versions of Spider-Man 2 and 3,

REALLY dumbed down on the PC (like, even from the console versions)? It might be that

in that case the high system requirements were because they didn't do much to try to

optimize it for the PC (though I'm no tech expert).

spiderman 2 was the absolute worst game i have *ever* played. EVAR PLAYED.

3 was ok. i dunno bout the graphics, but after looking around a bit, it seems that 3 had

ridiculously reqs for it's time. (i didnt know this as i dont really keep up with the newer

gaming scene. only sw ones like you, and a couple others that i monitor.

i think you're right; gameplay is going to be what matters. its what keeps us playing JA

after 6 years, lol. personally, story is a biggy for me. its what keeps me playing KotOR after 6 years. :D

i still want JK4. :carms:

That's not to say I don't care about any non-Star Wars games, I'm just saying for

purposes of this discussion, I'll be comparing TFU's graphics and gameplay to

OTHER STAR WARS GAMES.

This game will be judged to how well it stacks up to other titles that let you do the

same thing (play as a saber/force character in real time combat). So if it's the best

looking, most fun Jedi action game to date, then I'm one happy customer...

But somehow I don't think that will be the case, for the MP factor, and the mod ability factor.

With regard to SWBF2, there's no reason why the modding for that game shouldn't

have been fantastic (to be honest I haven't kept up with that community since

pcgamemods.com went down and it became clear no more official patches were

ever coming out, but I used to check those sites constantly). Republic Commando

on the other hand had such mediocre MP options that it just seemed pointless.

Modding is great, but most of the work needs to already be done with the engine, in

terms of examples provided... stuff that people can build off of. It can't just be an

absolutely bare bones game, where you can sit back and expect a community of players

to invent stuff from scratch like for the original Quake. The days when that was a realistic

possibility are long gone.

So if the game came with four saber dueling maps, then you could realistically expect

maybe a few dozen saber dueling maps and some skins to be made over the game's

lifetime, but that's IF the tools were released in a timely fashion and the game actually sells.

Lucas' strategy thus far has been to time the release of a new "hot" Star Wars game

with a Star Wars related DVD release. I don't remember hearing about anything coming

out in November on that front... but then I thought those kind of "promotions" tended to

actually work out against us, by rushing the games out before they were ready. In this

case though, they've had plenty of time to polish it, so if they were going to do anything,

this is the time.

I mean, sadly, my expectations are so low, I'm expecting this to be a "fire and forget"

release, unless there are some major, game-stopping bugs present in the shipped version.

Amazon.com is now listing the PC version's availablity on "October 23," while the Xbox 360 and

PS3 versions are listed as "November 3." Wonder which one is more accurate...

I am also curious about a PC demo. First, obviously, I hope there is one... and that it comes out

before the actual game itself so we can test it on our systems.

I don't think so. That WOULD certainly be a slap in the face to PC gamers to make

us wait a year just to get a handful of missions out of context. I think the chances

of that happening are pretty much zero though.

IF you read it on Gamespot, you should have copied the link and posted it here.

Do you mean it was stated in an article, or did just some random person post it as a comment

to an article or in a forum?

The game has box art and is listed as a physical product you can purchase from Amazon.com,

not as a "direct download." Many games these days do let you

purchase a "Download" of a game (which I personally wouldn't do, because I'd rather

have a physical backup, so if I did do such a thing I'd burn it to a disc immediately...

plus you wouldn't get the cool box art and physical manual that way, and you wouldn't

save that much money I would think).

This option may be available for TFU:USE (I don't see why not), but making the

game content SIMPLY a download would be silly. First off, PC gamers have never had

the game before. So unlike say, Xbox360 users would could theoretically already have

the "Main game" and then download the "bonus content" off of XBL (if it was made available),

PC gamers need the whole game.

Would they really just put a handful of "bonus levels" with the game's engine on a DVD

and call it a "game" for the PC? That would be pretty ridiculous, I agree!

But that just doesn't seem to be any REASON to do that. The game is already finished,

and if the "physics" work in the bonus missions, then they should work fine in the rest

of the game as well. If anything, those bonus missions will have to be designed to be

"more advanced" or "more flashy" than the rest of the game, or else nobody will want

to play them (or have complained about them already since most of them have already

been playable on the consoles before now). Thus the game requirements on the PC should

not be an issue. Who would want to pay full price for just a handful of bonus levels that

have no context (no previous game to explain where they came from)?

TFU:USE is just The Force Unleashed for PS3/360, ported to console plus a bonus pack.

There's no official word that that is what we're getting ("JUST the bonus missions,

nothing else"), so I'd challenge you to post that info before you keep us up late at night

worrying about it! ;)

Thanks for posting it, and I skimmed it again, but I don't see quite what you mean, except that it is a bit vague.

The article in question covers the "DLC" (down-loadable content) for The Force Unleashed. However it doesn't mention whether this is separate, all there is or whatever.

I *thought* that all but one of the "new" missions in "Ultimate Sith Edition" were already labelled "DLC" for the original Force Unleashed, and my guess here was they were "saving time" by just doing a review of that new stuff.

However it is in the "PC" section and they have a picture of USE to the left, making it LOOK like they're saying that the PC version had DLC as well.

Perhaps the PC version is just "TFU" on the PC and you have to (pay?) to download the new stuff?

My hunch is perhaps GS just got lazy and posted this up to "cover the bases" for people who were interested in the new material. They have a habit of reviewing the same game on multiple platforms, but copying and pasting the same exact review minus a few new sentences of text to distinguish it from the others (and often they don't even review the PC version at all, after reviewing the Xbox and other consoles).

So I'm going to say don't take it too seriously, they're probably just trying to save space. If there were an unambiguous statement in it that the PC version would NOT include the bonus content or that the bonus content would be included but NOT the original game, that would be different.

So once again, I'm going to stick with what I heard first, which is that the PC version of Sith Edition is just going to be like TFU on the PS3/360, but with the extra levels already selectable.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been pretty quiet. I guess we're all just waiting, now.

I wonder if PC owners will really get it 11 days before 360/PS3 (and 12 days before Mac)...

It'd be nice though, considering we've had to wait a year while the other console owners got to enjoy it. Will it be worth the wait?

I'm really not sure. I've played the XBox version with a friend and after an evening of playing it became kind of tedious. But after not having a JK-ish game for so long it might be fun on the PC. I don't think it has MP or anything, correct? That really limits the longevity...

• 2 weeks later...
Thought:

PhysX.

If USE (PC) doesn't have it, or some sort of equivalent, i am going to be disappoint.

I mean, TFU is perfect for it right? (& vice versa) Actually, when i first heard of PhysX, i thought "wow, it would be so awesome if The Force Unleashed came out for PC with this in it!"

It's a port of the 360/ps3 USE so i doubt it.

Thought:

PhysX.

If USE (PC) doesn't have it, or some sort of equivalent, i am going to be disappoint.

I mean, TFU is perfect for it right? (& vice versa) Actually, when i first heard of PhysX, i thought "wow, it would be so awesome if The Force Unleashed came out for PC with this in it!"

I think it's safe to say that it will use Havoc.

Archived